What's going wrong here?

My apologies upfront for being an ignorant noob.  This is the first time I've tried to transfer something from Hexagon to Daz, and whether I use the bridge or export as object and import into Daz, the geometries and textures are never right.  I've done my best to show what is happening with the screenshots attached below.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some straight lines are curvy or wobbly, others show up with an ugly crosshatch look to them, plus a few black triangles on other bits.

Hex DS9.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 397K
Hex to Daz DS9.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 615K

Comments

• The problem with the top of the alcove is that you have concave quads - the pieces forming the top corners didp in, imagine putting an elastiv band around that polygon and you will see that it would touch one of the vertices. It's harder to figure out the other issues - long, thin triangles can cause issues, so can overlapping geometry, and so can edges which confuse the smoothing algorithm - try selecting the problem obects in DS and in the Editor tab of the Surfaces pane select all surfaces then turn off Smoothing; does the issue persist?

• xialiubeixialiubei Posts: 70

Richard Haseltine said:

The problem with the top of the alcove is that you have concave quads - the pieces forming the top corners didp in, imagine putting an elastiv band around that polygon and you will see that it would touch one of the vertices. It's harder to figure out the other issues - long, thin triangles can cause issues, so can overlapping geometry, and so can edges which confuse the smoothing algorithm - try selecting the problem obects in DS and in the Editor tab of the Surfaces pane select all surfaces then turn off Smoothing; does the issue persist?

I'll give it a try and see.  Thanks for the quick response.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited July 2021

Deleted. Richard has explained things better than I could.

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188

Anything over a quad will turn out as an overlapping poly in DS usually. Anything under a quad will give you hard edges that are very hard to get rid of without adding in reinforcing edge loops, that won't get rid of the problem though, it will only minimalist the problem to an extent that if you have smooth poly turned off it won't show. Rule of thumb is always use quads where you can. If you have to use over or under you will have to turn smoothing off in DS. If you open some of the popular PA's here on Daz packs in a mapping app you will see some that have over and under and that is a app specific generated map in most cases, not all, but most. If you see them and then look at them in DS you will see smooth poly is off. Another way to smooth out poly without having to have smooth poly on is to bevel all your edges but it has to be made of quads. IF you have more or under quads it will show and almost definitely cause overlapping. There are good tutorials on Youtube that teach you how to efficiently create quads out of over and under quads. I haven't used Hex in a long time but The app I was using for the last 17 yrs was Silo and it pretty much is the same as Hex. The both have all the same options and they work the same way, but Silo had a bunch of better implemented tools and a little friendlier UI that is completely customizable. I know use Modo and Silo

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

frank0314 said:

Anything over a quad will turn out as an overlapping poly in DS usually.

Only with concave n-gons. On purely convex ones all you have to cope with is abysmal triangulation.