Carrara Challenge 15 - February 15, 2515 - Work in progress - WIP tread

Comments

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Well, I managed to build Bender, but he's from the wrong year for this contest. ;-)

Mostly done in the Carrara vertex modeler with just a smidgen of Hexagon.

Bender3-3posed2.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 71K
  • Nightshift3DNightshift3D Posts: 273
    edited December 1969

I don't think Bender was fresh off the assembly line in 3000. Maybe he was five centuries old. :coolsmile: He looks good, great job!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    Well, I managed to build Bender, but he's from the wrong year for this contest. ;-)

Hahaha! That's great, ya' meatbag!

edited January 2015

Thanks guys.
    This is also the first time that I've used bones and weight painting in an actual project. I didn't really know what I was doing but it seems to have worked. I can flex the arms and legs, and bend the fingers.
    So as Bender might actually say in a Futurama episode, "I'm boned"! :lol:

Post edited by de3an on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    Thanks guys.
    This is also the first time that I've used bones and weight painting in an actual project. I didn't really know what I was doing but it seems to have worked. I can flex the arms and legs, and bend the fingers.

Great job. Hard to believe that it was your first time weightpainting in Carrara. Did you remember to model at least one morph so that you can vertex edit in animation mode? But your bends look so natural that I doubt you would need it.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    de3an said:
    Thanks guys.

Great job. Hard to believe that it was your first time weightpainting in Carrara. Did you remember to model at least one morph so that you can vertex edit in animation mode? But your bends look so natural that I doubt you would need it.

Well, I'm sure I didn't do it by the book. I didn't create any "morphs", don't even know how. I just manually rotated each bone until I got the look that I wanted. I only put bones in the arms, legs, and hands. The rest of Bender doesn’t bend, so the head eyes and access door are set by simple rotations.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,750
    edited December 1969

de3an said:

Very Nice !!!!!!!!

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Can't wait to see how everyone's projects are coming together.

Here are a couple more guests invited to the party. Believe it or not, Genesis had the head morph. Now to figure out if it came with the base genesis package or if I picked it up somewhere. The outfits were modeled in Carrara and made conforming using Studio's transfer utility.

Hmmmmm.

Are we going to see a gaggle of Cartoon Characters having a right royal party, along with plenty of Pizza of course ????

Looking great !!!!!

Regards, Bunyip

edited December 1969

Another Critter portrait quickie from me, hope it provides some inspiration to someone.
    (Did the morph a while ago, just adding some backgrounds to them.)

Aiko_6_AlienHead8_combo_TopazCrisp_x1950.jpg
    1950 x 1437 - 499K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Bender! cute :)

started my wip. trying out the light effects to see which would be most romantic for a 2515 valentines.

Doc17.jpg
    1053 x 800 - 33K
    pulsareffect.png
    1053 x 800 - 52K
    lightEffects.JPG
    1366 x 727 - 110K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited January 2015

pizza is here. starting work on

"- 2 (two) items must be created or significantly modified inside Carrara "

2 items! per entry. 2 entries.

a valentine pillow. a coin. a coin box for the coin. not sure about the wormhole, might be overly ambitious

would making a morph for aiko3 count as sig modified?

edit: wip of the coin so far. i don't know how to reset the batting cage.

i keep hitting the spacebar to deselect, but of course, that doesn't work :lol:

i started with a polyline circle.
    filled it in.
    did the thickness.
    had a vague idea to put ridges on the edge, did a fillet.
    did an extract around.
    took like 4 hours so far.

wip_coin.JPG
    1813 x 713 - 117K
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

From what I see good work every one.

Well my modeling attempts so far have been horrible so I guess I am back to trying to modify stuff.
    I will have to see what I can come up with.

edited December 1969

Well my modeling attempts so far have been horrible so I guess I am back to trying to modify stuff.

For what it's worth, I tend to be a poor vertex modeler as well. I'm trying to learn it, and over the last year or so, things have been beginning to click, but box modeling is so far my weakest area of vertex modeling.

I can do some really cool things with the Spline modeler though.

edited December 1969

You are a spline guru, EP. I have you to thank for turning me on to the spline modeler in one of the challenges (although I think some other participants wanted to hang you). Given the very large number of everyday objects that are suitable for extrusion, I think the spline modeler is underused. Even though I used Carrara's vertex modeler first and so learned it first, I am finding myself turning to the spline modeler more and more for simple objects that might have rounded edges. Much easier to bevel with spline rather than vertex. The objection was uvmapping, but for many objects projection mapping and layers can do the job. I would never have thought of that if I hadn't seen what you do with splines. And you can always convert to a vertex model if appropriate.

I think there was one of those "can you do this in Carrra" threads where people were comparing the fillet tools in Hexagon and Carrara to make a particular shelf. The beveled shelf could be made in the spline modeler with 5 clicks and a few convert points and a few cross sections.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited January 2015

I took some time off from working on my entry and when I came back to it this morning I decided I hated the whole front window, so I redid it from scratch.

Attached:
    Quick side-by-side of the new and old windows
    Render with the new window in place

I think I am happy with all the elements, but I still need to work on the lighting, and now I need to nudge the miner a bit so his head isn't nearly clipping the newly installed window frame. :)

Mark

WIP17_NewWindowRender.jpg
    1500 x 905 - 91K
    WIP18_NewvOldWindows.jpg
    2000 x 881 - 179K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited December 1969

For what it's worth, I tend to be a poor vertex modeler as well. I'm trying to learn it, and over the last year or so, things have been beginning to click, but box modeling is so far my weakest area of vertex modeling.

I've been finding that the key to vertex modeling is not biting off too much at once. Breaking the project down into the maximum number of small pieces and modeling them one at a time really helps a lot.

Recently I've been watching a lot of modeling tutorials for Blender and then going back into Carrara and trying to duplicate the techniques has been helping to build my skills quite a bit I think.

Mark

edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    I took some time off from working on my entry and when I came back to it this morning I decided I hated the whole front window, so I redid it from scratch.

Attached:
    Quick side-by-side of the new and old windows
    Render with the new window in place

I think I am happy with all the elements, but I still need to work on the lighting, and now I need to nudge the miner a bit so his head isn't nearly clipping the newly installed window frame. :)

Mark

Hello Mark

Can you do a bit more than a nudge ?
    Are you able to move the spaceman so that the laser beam/lens flare at the front of the laser gun is approximately in the centre of the window ?

Don't know if it will make the scene work even better, but have a think/look and see what you reckon.
    Nice work on the new window.

Regards workflow - "Baby steps will often get you there faster !!!!!!"

Regards, Bunyip

edited December 1969

Haven't revisited my wheel-shaped space stations for forests in a while. Like Mark, I started over. I've made a separate inner wheel to be the terrain, which I have adjusted to have some irregularity and a gully on one side for water. I think the glass looks better (I used a mixture of a pure alpha and a cellular based procedural to get some space dust on what would otherwise be clear). More to do, but time to obsess with sports.

space_station_wip_restart.jpg
    640 x 480 - 30K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Some nice contributions so far.
    I have discovered that I have lost track of the time, the submission tread should have been opened.

I'm so sorry for my absence.
    Do we need more time on this challenge.

Here is what I have been working on.
    I call it : a wedding on Mars.

Building02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 469K
    edited December 1969

Wow. Time does fly! I support you, Varsel, as challenge coordinator/tyrant 100%. Which, if you think about it, is neither supporting keeping the current dates, nor supporting extra time. Oh, with friends like these...

Hesitate to put this in writing, but if we push back dates and have longer challenges, we will only have 10 or so total challenges per year. If we keep to our schedules and stick to monthly, there will be 12. The purely mercenary implication of that observation is...

Having said that, I don't think the regulars participate based on the "mercenary implications."

Still no real advice for you, but I feel like I have a reputation for minimum word count in my replies. Must maintain my rep. ;-)

edited December 1969

All ready for the entry thread. :)

Attached images:
    Final Render with alpha on glass at 0% so that the flare effect is visible
    Render with alpha on glass at 100%
    Final entry with both renders combined and a little bit of additional post-work.

Post-work
    Combined two renders, added some of glass reflections back in over render with flare effect, removed some unwanted texture/render artifacts, color, light and tone adjustment, reduced renders from original 3000px to 2000px since the forum won't allow larger images to be posted.

Asteroid-Miner-2000px.jpg
    2000 x 1206 - 266K
    Render-with-Reflections-2000px.jpg
    2000 x 1206 - 261K
    Render-with-Flare-2000px.jpg
    2000 x 1206 - 254K
    edited December 1969

I haven't had time for this one, but I hope to be a full participant in the next one.

edited December 1969

Starting to put together the set and the props. Generally happy with the way the background buildings are coming together, but putting 21 candles on the birthday cake doesn't look right. The cake is just a couple of cylinders, but the icing is a metaball object.

jetsons_wip_2.jpg
    1040 x 780 - 46K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Real Life has a sneaky ability to creep up on you and hit you hard over the head with a baseball bat.

So I made a decision to expand the timeframe with one week.

- Submissions Open: now....
    - Submissions Close: 23:59 MT February 15, 2015
    - This thread will be auto-magically converted to the voting thread simultaneous.
    - Voting Ends: 23:59 MT February 22, 2015

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

That's my cue, being the guy that always creeps in at the very end. I've been peeping in to see how the challenge was coming along but I've had a very hectic past few weeks, but good enough, it seems I can spend some time this weekend putting something together. So here goes:

Part of my strategy to make this happen in the shortest time possible is to use part of what happens to be 'work' at the moment, so I'm taking assets from previous models made in Form Z, (my preferred modelling app) and I'm bringing them into Carrara as a starting point. The kiosk is a proposal for an exhibition which interestingly has to do with the future as well (but this time, the year 2060), so it's only apt that I 'borrow' it....we'll see where this leads.

Screenshot_2015-02-06_23.17_.23_.png
    1366 x 768 - 593K
    edited December 1969

I brought together a few blocks of dystopia city blocks in Carrara to create a skyline and dropped the kiosk from Form Z (as Obj) into an open court. The textures translated okay, which does not happen that way all the time, but I've learnt to tweak the export settings from Form Z, and of course to work the shader room and model room in Carrara to patch things up where needed.

The approach I took to lighting the scene however is a first for me. I have Stringtheory9 to thank for his lighting tips shared here which served as a starting point for me. I placed a sphere in the center of the kiosk and replicated 100 bulbs (set to 10% brightness and with a slight colour applied) on its surface. To light up the environment, I chose not to go with GI and also turned down ambient to zero, I inserted a distant light as key light and instead of having a fill light and rim light as one would in 3 point lighting, I created a ring (extruded out of a scaled cylinder, I was surprised I couldnt find a readymade torus primitive in Carrara) in the vertex modeler and replicated 100 spotlights (set to 3% brightness and a different colur) on it. .I put this 'ring light' over the kiosk to light the scene and play the role the fill light and rim light would play in 3 point lighting. This ring light was set not to cast shadows. The other thing I did with the lighting was to put in a bulb light as negative lights in the kiosk to tone down the glare a bit and surprisingly, it worked pretty well in creating an aura for the scene. Talking about aura, the text primitive (NEWS) has got glow applied to its shader, but the entire text object has aura activated in its effect settings, which is what gives it the.....well.....aura!

news1.png
    1280 x 720 - 819K
    Screenshot_2015-02-06_23.59_.52_.png
    1366 x 768 - 345K
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Real Life has a sneaky ability to creep up on you and hit you hard over the head with a baseball bat.

So I made a decision to expand the timeframe with one week.

- Submissions Open: now....
    - Submissions Close: 23:59 MT February 15, 2015
    - This thread will be auto-magically converted to the voting thread simultaneous.
    - Voting Ends: 23:59 MT February 22, 2015

Wish my crystal ball had been working earlier I would have done a quick entry with the extra week.
    Good news for those needing the extra time !!!!!!

Regards, Bunyip

edited December 1969

I brought together a few blocks of dystopia city blocks in Carrara to create a skyline and dropped the kiosk from Form Z (as Obj) into an open court. The textures translated okay, which does not happen that way all the time, but I've learnt to tweak the export settings from Form Z, and of course to work the shader room and model room in Carrara to patch things up where needed.

The approach I took to lighting the scene however is a first for me. I have Stringtheory9 to thank for his lighting tips shared here which served as a starting point for me. I placed a sphere in the center of the kiosk and replicated 100 bulbs (set to 10% brightness and with a slight colour applied) on its surface. To light up the environment, I chose not to go with GI and also turned down ambient to zero, I inserted a distant light as key light and instead of having a fill light and rim light as one would in 3 point lighting, I created a ring (extruded out of a scaled cylinder, I was surprised I couldnt find a readymade torus primitive in Carrara) in the vertex modeler and replicated 100 spotlights (set to 3% brightness and a different colur) on it. .I put this 'ring light' over the kiosk to light the scene and play the role the fill light and rim light would play in 3 point lighting. This ring light was set not to cast shadows. The other thing I did with the lighting was to put in a bulb light as negative lights in the kiosk to tone down the glare a bit and surprisingly, it worked pretty well in creating an aura for the scene. Talking about aura, the text primitive (NEWS) has got glow applied to its shader, but the entire text object has aura activated in its effect settings, which is what gives it the.....well.....aura!

Looking great !!!!!!

How would the background news screen images look with a fake Hologram approach ?
    Idea is to post the same image a bit in front of the other image but with transparency to give it that fake 3D look ?

Do we get a weather lady as well ????

Regards, Bunyip

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

I really wanted to find time to get in on this one, as I think it's a great theme, but I've just been swallowed whole by too many other things, not sure I'll be able to make anything happen in the time crunch.

You guys are doing stellar work, I just wanted to say. I've been following this thread with great interest (as always!). Hopefully I'll be able to scratch something together and put a few posts up. Even if not, I just wanted to say how impressive it is to watch these projects come together and things are really looking good.

edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:

Looking great !!!!!!

How would the background news screen images look with a fake Hologram approach ?
    Idea is to post the same image a bit in front of the other image but with transparency to give it that fake 3D look ?

Do we get a weather lady as well ????

Regards, Bunyip

Thanks a lot, I sure am going to use that tip....actually looking forward to it! Yes there will be a lady, but it wont be a weather lady.......rather, it would be a lady cooking up a storm! Stay tuned!