Why does loading (deleting) take so long ? (BUG ?)

DAZ Studio 4.15

Hi, when I load a char at start it is fast. When I delete that char to have an empty scene in the scene tab it is fast. When I load a new char in the same scene via 'Merge into scene' it is fast.

But when I click on 'open as new' or click File->New it takes up to 20 minutes to do that and the popup window that open stays the longest time at 'deleting objects' even in an empty scene with no objects (Clicked File->New directly after start of DAZ and it took that long). And I don't think my PC is the problem because a PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD and a Ryzen 7 should be fast enough to do the job and updates are all up to date. And remarkable is - when you start a task manager and monitor DAZ Studio there is no activity on the drive, GPU and CPU at that time when showing the deleting objects message.

Comments

• It's the establishing/clearing the properties and links - when you load a new version of the same figure the property set up isn't needed (though i think it does get verified), and when you delete it's just moved to the undo stack rather than cleared.

• seanthiarseanthiar Posts: 11

Richard Haseltine said:

It's the establishing/clearing the properties and links - when you load a new version of the same figure the property set up isn't needed (though i think it does get verified), and when you delete it's just moved to the undo stack rather than cleared.

That is still a bug - DAZ Studio started. No scene etc loaded. Workspace and scene tab is empty. That means there are no properties or links to clear because you just started DAZ Studio. Click on 'Files->New' and it stays for minutes on deleting non existing objects. Same if you load something with 'open as new' directly after you started DAZ Studio.

I worked as a database designer and software developer and never had an only delete part of a job take that long even with millions of entries. Only one time there was a problem like that and the cause was a buggy garbage collector in the programming language. A delete can take that long if you move the objects to another directory or part of the DB to be able to undo everything, because you are not deleting you make a copy and then delete, but that is not the case with 'Files->New' or 'Open as New' especially not if there are no objects to move or to delete. This delete part should be finished in 1ms.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,543
    edited July 2021

I think the "Deleting Objects" may just be a placeholder, while DS is doing something else in the background, although It doesn't take that long on my system to open a new scene, if I haven't done much with the previous one. Say just loaded a figure or a scene to see what it looks like in the viewport.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

It acts like it's waiting for the Windows OS to comeback from multiple child processes that are deleting things and so DAZ Studio waits until Windows has signaled all the things meant to be deleted, have been deleted.

• eric suscheric susch Posts: 130

I've noticed this behavior.  It's much, much faster to close DAZ Studio entirely and re-start when you want to load a new project rather than hit file - new.  "Deleting objects" takes forever.

windows 10

DS 4.15.0.14 (64 bit)

• eric susch said:

I've noticed this behavior.  It's much, much faster to close DAZ Studio entirely and re-start when you want to load a new project rather than hit file - new.  "Deleting objects" takes forever.

windows 10

DS 4.15.0.14 (64 bit)

That is what I do, too. But it is annoying. And sometimes DAZ Studio does not quit completely if you close it without saving your work as a scene. Happens many time because I save most time only subsets. I had it that there was no DAZ in the task bar, but when you checked the processes DAZ was still running (most of the times only a few minutes) and I checked it one time and let it run through the night - it wouldn't quit after hours. When there is no DAZ in the task bar, but DAZ is still in the task list in the task manager you have to kill it manually.

• ioteroiotero Posts: 17

I always kill the DAZ with the task manager before loading the next one, otherwise I fall asleep at the screen.

• iotero said:

I always kill the DAZ with the task manager before loading the next one, otherwise I fall asleep at the screen.

This is risky, and it shouldn't be taking that long to close - what plug-ins do you have installed? Have you tested with only the daz plug-ins active? http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/plugins/plugins_load_config/start will disable the non-Daz plug-ins (you can then reactivate them through Help>About Installed plug-ins).

Using a new isntance is one way to get a new Daz Studio up-and-running if the old is being slow to close Daz Studio Pro 4.12 - instances