AUGUST New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Well it's a temp fix, until they get the resizing working 100%

When I use it on my own images it gives me a space to add a legend or story for the render, as sometimes my renders need them as I am often inspired by music or the words of a song or poem

• FhaloFhalo Posts: 42
    edited August 2012

Title: Ray of hope
    Comment: From the darkness of the battlefield comes ray of hope
    Software: Bryce 7.1 Pro
    Post Work: None
    Tutorial:
    Textures:
    Outstanding: Make the plant more green. Maybe add more specular to the plant. Maybe add more models
    Any comments?

RayofHope30.png
    800 x 600 - 422K
    Post edited by Fhalo on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Fhalo said:
    Tutorial:
    Textures:
    Outstanding: Make the plant more green. Maybe add more specular to the plant. Maybe add more models
    Any comments?

This is supposed to be a Macro image? A super closeup of a small plant? If so, I might reconsider the plant. The one you have is very tree-like. I know there are small plants with tree-like appearances, but perhaps something with a couple large green leaves.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited August 2012

It looks like something produced using (L-series?) forget the name... software to create branching algorithms such as plants and trees using some input nodes and randomizer. Digging back into my memory, but I believe the basis for the formula that auto generates trees, shrubs etc.. in software that does that, such as Bryce, Carrara etc...

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

I must admit that it does look like a Bryce tree, but Bryce trees are built out of metaballs.

• BrotherloboBrotherlobo Posts: 495
    edited August 2012

Title: 'Make my day'

Software: DAZ 3D
    Post Work: Photoshop CS3 - cropping & resizing only

Comments: Okay...my latest try with DOF - making a play on the classic 'Dirty Harry' slogan. This is done on the 'recommended' quick render suggestions. I admit, the focal length and F-stop settings messed me up for a bit but after tons of surfing, reading other posts and failed tries, I ended up with this. Still not sure if I am satisfied with the lighting.....yet. Any comments or suggestions?

EDIT: Okay. After numerous tweaks, I ended up with this. I'm not sure if I like the postion of the sword. I originally wanted the sword tip in view but lot it when I slightly changed camera angles. I also changed and added some different lighting effects. Suggestions?

2nd EDIT: Another version. I adjusted some lighting. Then repositioned the arm and camera angle a bit. Not sure if the lighting is still correct. @scott-livingston -- how's this?

Make-my-day-9-cropped.jpg
    800 x 599 - 219K
    Make-my-day-8-cropped.jpg
    800 x 690 - 259K
    Make-My-Day-3-cropped.jpg
    800 x 719 - 322K
    Post edited by Brotherlobo on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

@Fhalo: I see where this scene is going. Maybe I can help the others see it also. This is a WWII type or maybe earlier battle field. The LOG's on the ground are for many uses, such as hiding behind as you fire ahead and slowing advancing troops in the push across the field. The only Pure untouched thing left in this war zone is that one tree. I think the DOF is well done and the Idea was well done. I think a tighter beam of light on just the tree would improve the composition. It may not add to the DOF but it would improve the message. That's my two cents.

@aemccullough: I like this very much but lighting is what stops it from being a great render. Here are my tips.

Highlight the main figure with it's own lighting. The set (background) should be lit with less direct light and more ambient (fill) light at a lower setting so your main figure still stands out. Use a low off color light to high light the action in the scene, the figure in the background. This should also be lower than the main figures light but enough to high light that part of the scene. Just my two cents. I would drop the light in the open Fan or lower it way down.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the suggestions Jaderail.
    Going to give that a go....

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    @Fhalo: I see where this scene is going. Maybe I can help the others see it also. This is a WWII type or maybe earlier battle field. The LOG's on the ground are for many uses, such as hiding behind as you fire ahead and slowing advancing troops in the push across the field. The only Pure untouched thing left in this war zone is that one tree. I think the DOF is well done and the Idea was well done. I think a tighter beam of light on just the tree would improve the composition. It may not add to the DOF but it would improve the message. That's my two cents.

I see it now. Unfortunately, the point I made a couple times earlier in the thread comes into play with this image. Personally I think Fhalo's depth of field is so exaggerated it looks more like someone taking an extreme closeup of a small object. It really suggests a miniature to me. I had assumed the objects in the picture were raised ridges and depressions caused by treads or tracks. I think with your suggestion for the light cone, and a more subtle look for the DOF effect, Fhalo has a very poignant and powerful image.

edited December 1969

Thanks eveyrone for your comments.

I'll see if I can replace the plant (looking at it now does look more like a tree)

I may have to download afree bryce model of a plant and use that (very short of time, is that cheating:))

I'll tried a tight beam, maybe at ahigher angle.

Problem is that , it does take all night to render this on my computer.

Thanks again

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited August 2012

@Fhalo: I like your render better after Jaderail's comment helped me understand it. Regarding the DOF, I agree with evilproducer...way too strong for my taste. I agree with the rest of what Jaderail said about it. Great concept, though, and I think the overall composition, lighting, and colors are nicely done.

@aemccullough: Love your first render! The latest one is good too...I think the lighting is good as is, but can be improved.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Phalo, a free bryce plant is by no means cheating, and if you are wanting a beam of light, a spotlight, set to object visible and surface (renders quicker than volume) could well do what you are looking for. You will need to have the falloff ranged and experiment a bit.

See the thread in the Bryce forum about lights from a lighthouse.

edited December 1969

Title: 'Make my day'

Software: DAZ 3D
    Post Work: Photoshop CS3 - cropping & resizing only

Comments: Okay....I think this is my 'final' rendering but since I still have a few days before the end of the month, looking for any last suggestions.

Thanks

Make-my-day-11-cropped.jpg
    800 x 558 - 206K
    edited August 2012

Inspiration: Battle of britain museum
    Tutorial:Bryce Depth of Field effect - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen. Brycetech: Streaming Lights
    Models:Skull, http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=ad9b354ddd1b27c667477b2917d5c26&prevstart=24
    White Lily: Zantedeschia - Calla Lily (white), http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=227604c137f7c0ad6ad0f8b8eab3fc46&prevstart=0
    Textures:Bones0031,cgtextures. Pile of bones and skulls,http://www.stockvault.net/photo/96483/pile-of-bones-and-skulls
    Work To Do:
    Any comments?

RayofHope37.png
    800 x 600 - 446K
    Post edited by Fhalo on
    edited December 1969

Hi eveyone

I've taken note of your commments and reduce the DOF. Maybe I've reduce it too much.
    Change the angle of the light and use a narrowing beam of light. Also, add models to introduce a scale to the plant, and changed the plant so that it look less than a tree.

Hope this image convey the message I want to put across and eveyone could see that.

edited December 1969

that is looking good

• nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387
    edited August 2012

Summer Camp
    Through trial & error I think that I have figured how to use DOF in DS 2.3.
    As you can see from the attached render, it looks pretty good.
    By the way, it's a cross post from the August freebie contest thread.
    So it's probably a NAE.
    As I said, I'm using DS 2.3, do you know if there is a check box or script to turn on the DOF planes?
    I'm following the tutorial that was listed in the first post of this thread but I.m not seeing anything like what is shown in the tutorial.
    I'm using a second camera just like it says to but no lines are showing up.
    I wonder if the visible planes were added to DS 3 to make it easier to use. Any thoughts?
    As you can see in the picture, the sign in the front and the girl in the back, are on the edge of the focus zone, with a f-stop of 22 (default).
    I had to move the point of focus to get it to work. Any suggestions on how to make it work easier?

summer-3dof.jpg
    2000 x 1996 - 602K
    Post edited by nitehawk_ltd on
    edited August 2012

nitehawk_ltd please read the rules. Images entered for this contest are supposed to be new images, and you have already entered this one in another contest.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387
    edited December 1969

OK then, it's not an entry in this contest.
    But the questions that I have are still valid.
    Since this is the newbie forum, my questions belong here.

edited December 1969

I've not run 2.3 in some time now. You have some very good questions. If no one jumps in with an answer I'll install 2.3 tomorrow and have a look for you.
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited August 2012

aemccullough this looks good.
    Fhalo this looks nice.
    Both good job. :)

Post edited by Sasje on
    edited December 1969

I haven't used anything earlier than DS4, but judging from this tutorial, the visible DOF lines may have been a new feature in DS3: http://greywulf.net/2010/02/easy-depth-of-field-in-daz-studio-3/. The tutorial mentioned a plugin called ahRenderControl that made DOF easier in DS2.3.
  • CyonixCyonix Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

I finally had a decent idea for an entry....I just hope I can finish it in time. Anyways, here's an early WIP of my currently untitled entry (though I do have a title in mind...). Suggestions welcome, though I've already noticed a few things myself...

1) The left side just seems....empty.....I'll probably end up repositioning some things/people/
    2) The expression on the girl in the back is decent, but I feel it needs some work....
    3) Some materials need work (the vampire lady's outfit is just too glossy....)

Any other suggestions?

vamp_wip.jpg
    800 x 600 - 326K
  • edited December 1969

Hy, here is mine ...

All comment welcome ...

DragonSpotted.jpg
    800 x 577 - 230K
  • edited December 1969

Cyonix: IMO Maybe some "mass" over the blonde hair.

PbmHair.jpg
    129 x 111 - 4K
    edited December 1969

Hello nitehawk_ltd I took a look at 2.3 for you. I can find nothing to help with setting up DOF in the program itself. I never noticed that before, of course I moved to ds3 as soon as it came out. I was still learning to get clothing on the figures back then. Maybe that Script mentioned will help.

P.S. That image is very good now that I've seen what you were working with.

• edited December 1969

I do not wish to enter the contest but have subscribed in order to learn, I hope everyone is ok with this ?

I am not to sure were to start, there seems to be a lot of content and i wish to start correctly.

I only ever entered once to a wip contest a very long time ago and even then I did not know what I was doing, but have a look anyway.

I have to start at the very start so please be patient with me ok ?

The dragon image was just a bit of fun on my part with my first ever prop for daz, I want to learn so point me to the best place to start.

Enter_the_Dragon.jpg
    711 x 717 - 313K
    sting_in_the_tail_0001.png
    490 x 500 - 355K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

The second one (Dragon) looks really good. No improvement needed.

edited December 1969

My first entry is coming together...just a few mostly minor things left to do--I think. Any thoughts or suggestions? :)

neanderthalmuseum4c.jpg
    800 x 800 - 432K
    edited December 1969

My first entry is coming together...just a few mostly minor things left to do--I think. Any thoughts or suggestions? :)
    Well, you asked. The You guy in the back by the head has poke through on left and right. The right leg looks okay like it was made that way. I would turn the right thigh off or use Poke Away, ect.. to fix. The Cave man to the right looks to real. Like on of your characters. A short pedestal under it would fix that. That's All I would change.