OT: Beholders (Aka The Gazer)

MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,679
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I got an off topic question involving the beloved Beholder (aka The Gazer).

I know they are supposedly from another dimension, but do they sleep? And if so, do they float while sleep? Do they reproduce? Lastly, how fast can/do they move ("Fly")?

-MJ

The_Gazer.jpg
960 x 1248 - 201K

Comments

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,547
    edited December 1969

Every version of D&D had them so some versions may be different.

Here's the 3.5 version
    http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Beholder

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

If you can find them, I Tyrant (2nd Editon) and Lords of Madness: The Book of Aberrations (3.5 Edition) have tons of information about beholders, from their societies to their biology. If you find them interesting, they are must-reads, no matter what edition of D&D you are playing.

And yes, beholders do reproduce.

• MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,679
    edited December 1969

I wanted to use them and for a project I am working on, and it would be helpful if I had some detailed info on them regarding the questions I originally posted which I cant seem to find anywhere on any online resource.

-MJ

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited January 2015

I'm not a D&Der; so this isn't 'official' but they don't sleep 'cause their eyes don't close and they DO float while they don't sleep because they're too uncoordinated to go in any specific direction. So they just hang there. They don't reproduce (a 3rd party has to take a graft then clone*) because they get so confused by seeing so many possible mates with all their eyes that they can't make up their minds and just hang there.

However they CAN move when poked. And very fast. They suck in air through the front and blow it out the back like a jet engine. However they only move in the direction the mouth was facing when poked.

*a 3rd party has the option to grab a couple of eyes, twist him to face in a desired direction, ie, towards a possible mate. Then poke. It's quite dangerous to grab two eyes--the minimum to avert danger is five which is nearly impossible--so this technique is rarely utilized.

Edit: Inserted a word for clarity..

Post edited by Spit on
  • Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited January 2015

They've been known to sleep (but don't tell their boss).

FuturamaBeholder.png
    620 x 315 - 287K
    Post edited by Atticus Bones on
  • 3dTox3dTox Posts: 82
    edited December 1969

MJ007 said:
    I got an off topic question involving the beloved Beholder (aka The Gazer).

I know they are supposedly from another dimension, but do they sleep? And if so, do they float while sleep? Do they reproduce? Lastly, how fast can/do they move ("Fly")?

-MJ

I'd say they reproduce asexually.. other than the main eye, each one of those eyes is a developing fetus. Once the main body dies, the eye stalks detach and you get a bigger problem to deal with than you had before. Best not to kill a beholder, just admire it's beauty. Now you know where the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" came from.