Sword and Sorcery Fantasy Contest Questions and Discussion

Comments

• sueyasueya Posts: 827

This is my entry

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 908
    edited July 2021

Silent Winter said:

^Cool - is that a hydra or a whole heap of snakes?

It's this guy: Lernaean Hydra

It's a great model, with lots of posability. From that specific angle, the point where the necks meet the body and where the body tapers into the tail doesn't show well. I just realized that I forgot to add the tongue prop to the heads. But I don't suppose it would have shown well in that light anyway.

Post edited by Quixotry on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,961
    edited July 2021

Well for those that were curious earlier, here is the exact text of the error message if your entry web submission fails; which my 2nd entry did fail to enter via the web upload today even though the size was well under the 20MB maximum render size.

There was an error. Please email your submission to [email protected]

So you might have trouble too.

Here is my 2nd entry, just for the heck of it, as I did submit it via the email address.

King Arthur in Spelling Bee

King Arthur in Spelling Bee

Arthur: Merlin, you magic muttering mug! I said I want to be an author, not an Arthur. Now I'll never be able to write my cookbook!

Merlin: Eh? What'd you say? An author! Have you flipped your lid?! Who's going to be a hero and pull the Excalibur Sword from the Stone if you're writing cookbooks?

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited August 2021

I had this in mind as soon as the contest started, but I did another one first. This was more work, but also fun. Another whimsical fantasy entry:

Krishna: "You sold my brother a worthless lamp. You will return the money, or I will cut your throat!"

Aram: "But Mistress, 'tis not a worthless lamp. Please go and ask your brother how he's getting on with the Genie."

Krishna: "What Genie?"

KrishnaG8-test011-Aram-Genie.ed.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 6M
    Post edited by SlimerJSpud on
  • dtrscbrutaldtrscbrutal Posts: 489
    edited August 2021

Looks like my internet started working again just in time, hope my email entries went through okay.

Great images for the contest everyone! I've managed to see a few others in the gallery as well.

My entries;

Deathblow

Gallery link

Walk In Fire

Gallery link

Bowed Up

Gallery  link

Dark Magic

Gallery link

Loosed

Gallery link

Deathblow.jpg
    1050 x 1350 - 2M
    Walk In Fire.jpg
    1038 x 1350 - 2M
    Bowed Up.jpg
    1500 x 1350 - 656K
    Dark Magic.jpg
    2311 x 1300 - 4M
    Loosed.jpg
    1038 x 1350 - 2M
    Post edited by dtrscbrutal on
  • Hello everyone,

Here is my entry to the competition.

Gallery Link: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/4703770365657088?edit=album#image=1162537

I think the file itself is too big to be attached, at least attaching didn't seem to work.

Best regards

• Saidge42Saidge42 Posts: 129
    edited August 2021

there are some really great enteries here, and the in the gallery! awesome work by all :D  just thought I drop mine here, too!

Title:  please, forgive.....

sword and sorcery - compressed.jpg
    2666 x 4000 - 1M
    Post edited by Saidge42 on
  • SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

Can't very well have a fantasy contest without some Red Sonja. And some snakes, gotta have snakes. Snakes aren't big enough? Take two, they're small! A little different take on the Red Sonja theme. I did one with Betomelo's Bruuna character ages ago...

Daz Products:

Gradi for CJ8

Miranda Hair

Fantasy Assassin Outfit

Briana's Culaith

Fantasy Devourer Excalibur sword

Morphing Python

Gradi8-test006-2python-memorial.sl.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
  • Mods, I have a question.

Is there any way to remove an entry from the contest?

I know that what has been shown here is just a small percentage of the total number of entries, but with what I've seen just here I know my entry has a snowballs chance in hell of winning. It wouldn't even get an honorable mention if such catagory existed. So why suffer the humiliation?

Thanks for any answers.

• Nah, let them remove you.

It's a good process to render something complete and then see what others are doing. Just submitting an entry is a positive thing. Some people don't even get to that point, where they think they have a finished entry.

If you learned a thing or two from looking at other entries, that's even better.
    All the prizes? It's not up to you or me, so don't sweat it... just appreciate and be mindful of the process. That's the reward, and everyone deserves that one.

• DandeneDandene Posts: 162

The Blurst of Times said:

It's a good process to render something complete and then see what others are doing. Just submitting an entry is a positive thing. Some people don't even get to that point, where they think they have a finished entry.

If you learned a thing or two from looking at other entries, that's even better.

Yep, I agree with this completely.  I was so proud of my entry into the Movember contest, but I felt discouraged after seeing all of the amazing entries.  But I learned a lot and realized that if not for the contest, I would have never come up with the render in the first place.  I may not have won anything, but I learned a lot.  I thought it was a positive experience.  It also taught me to pace myself for these contests.  

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,696

Agreed! Entering contests is a very good way to improve. I spent quite a while without making any finished renders when I started until I entered a contest many years ago. Did I win? No, not even close. But I did learn a lot, and finally made a finished render. Since then I have probably entered several hundred contests,  and I can count on one hand how many winning entries I made. But it's all good because I can compare the winning entries to mine,  and see what I need to do to improve.

Sadly I'm still not winning much (I think it's been over 2 years since I last placed in one), but hopefully I'm still improving.  Given the prizes for this contest, even before entering I had very strong doubts that I could win (and still do). But I really like the theme, and just focused on making the best entry I could. I literally spent many hours just tweaking little things like where eyes were pointing, is the pose balanced, this light needs to be moved just a bit, re-read the post about what the judges will be looking for, go back and tweak more, etc. But in the end, I have an image that I feel represents the best I can do at my current skill level. For me, that is a win!

There are so many awesome entries that I don't feel I really have a chance to place in the contest either (though I am keeping my fingers crossed). But I'm happy with my efforts,  the results, and the image (entry) in my galleries has been more popular than I ever expected. So that's all a win.  Plus I have the experience gained in doing a bit of serious story telling with just the image as well.  Personally, I feel better for entering, even though the odds aren't with me.

So, to make the long story short. Be proud of your entry. If you don't win, then analyze what the winners did and try to improve your work in a similar manner. If you keep trying and improving,  then eventually you will win a contest.  In the meantime,  you win because your work will get better.

• XelloszXellosz Posts: 742
    edited August 2021

Title: "Give me that toothpick!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSFuzq4ius7/

toothpick.jpg
    2600 x 3413 - 7M
    Post edited by Xellosz on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

Whelp, for some reason I thought I had til the 8th...oh well...won't be getting an entry in on this one!

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited August 2021

melissastjames said:

Whelp, for some reason I thought I had til the 8th...oh well...won't be getting an entry in on this one!

HA-HA!!! LESS COMPETITORS FOR US!!!!!
    *Assorted Crow noises*

/maybe just tag something and enter it? I don't think the timing matters that much since it's just a form to enter... I think they care more that you tag your stuff for them, not the timing.
    I mean, just go back and tag something you've already done.

Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,146

I'm pretty sure I saw someone official say it needed to be new artwork that hadn't been posted before. Not sure where that was, though.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

The Blurst of Times said:

melissastjames said:

HA-HA!!! LESS COMPETITORS FOR US!!!!!
    *Assorted Crow noises*

/maybe just tag something and enter it? I don't think the timing matters that much since it's just a form to enter... I think they care more that you tag your stuff for them, not the timing.
    I mean, just go back and tag something you've already done.

They specifically said in this thread it had to be a new piece of artwork. It's not a big deal...I just got so wrapped up in research and shopping for my new build. I do have some stuff I've been slowly working on, though.  

edited August 2021

BronzeDragon said:

Mods, I have a question.

I know that what has been shown here is just a small percentage of the total number of entries, but with what I've seen just here I know my entry has a snowballs chance in hell of winning. It wouldn't even get an honorable mention if such catagory existed. So why suffer the humiliation?

Thanks for any answers.

You never know what might catch the judges' eyes. I don't expect to be getting any awards with mine, but the theme was inspiring and it had been so long since I did any renders that were just for fun that I took it as a good excuse to join in the frey. People are putting some really neat renders out and it's fun seeing everyone's personal takes on the theme. Also keep in mind that you're probably your own worst critic. I know I am. I see all the spots where something is wrong with my scenes. Maybe others see them too, or maybe they won't. It's hard to say, but sometimes we judge our own work by what we want it to be, whereas others may see it completely differently. :)

Post edited by Quixotry on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,755
    edited August 2021

Wow, so many amazing renders and those are just the ones posted here! Mine has a LOT of postwork, so I hope that's OK...

The Fire Dragon Queen

The-Fire-Dragon-Queen-by-Alicia_Hollinger.jpg
    864 x 1296 - 1M
    Post edited by Wonderland on

BronzeDragon said:

Mods, I have a question.

Thanks for any answers.

I just found your entry, and I really like it. I'd say it has a good chance (but I'm not judging so who knows).

• dtrscbrutaldtrscbrutal Posts: 489
    edited August 2021

I was not sure I would have time to finish / submit this one, with my wonky net connection. More great images posted, so awesome to see!

In The Giants Layer

Gallery image

Wishing everyone the best on the contest!

In The Giants Layer.jpg
    2311 x 1300 - 4M
    Post edited by dtrscbrutal on
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,412

How does one actually know if a submission has gone in properly? Is there any positive indication?

Anyway, assuming it's actually gone in, I suspect mine may be the only entry they get featuring a diesel generator and two portapotties. It might well get thrown out early in the judging as a result, but it's an idea I'd been thinking about doing anyway, which was more important to me than working on some idea specifically for the contest.

~~~~~

"Preparing for Adventure":

Gallery Link

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

I had my money on you winning something too. :P

DustRider said:

I just found your entry, and I really like it. I'd say it has a good chance (but I'm not judging so who knows).

Is there a place we can look at all the entries? I would love to see them all.

• ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471
    edited August 2021

This is my entry for the contest. My first render in over 2 years.

The Challenge

The Challenge.png
    1400 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by ItsCeo on
  • ExeterExeter Posts: 65

Great images!

I almost never post here, but I thought I'd toss one into the contest. 

Primal Elf.png
    1600 x 1600 - 4M

Quixotry said:

DustRider said:

Is there a place we can look at all the entries? I would love to see them all.

Unfortunately not that I know of sad

You can find the entries that have been placed in the galley here by searching for "madewithdaz" tags (https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/category/madewithdaz). You can do the same at DA and Renderosity. You will get quite a few renders that aren't for the contest, but at least you can see some of the wide variety of entries so far. I would guess that you could do the same with Facebook, instagram, and Twitter, but I don't use any of those so I'm not sure it would work.

I hope DAZ will provide a page (maybe on the blog) that has all the entries. I realize this contest is most likely for marketing and increased visibility through social networks, but the downside is we don't get to see all the entries.

• Hello,

maybe someone officially involved with the competition might do a summary page on the blog or here in the forum listing all entries? That would be nice, I think.

Best regards,

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,412

DustRider said:

You can find the entries that have been placed in the galley here by searching for "madewithdaz" tags (

A lot of people have tagged their work as "Sword and Sorcery":
    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/category/sword-and-sorcery
    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/category/swordandsorcery

Not everything under those tags is an entry, but most of the stuff in the last couple of weeks should be.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,961
    edited August 2021

Matt_Castle said:

DustRider said:

You can find the entries that have been placed in the galley here by searching for "madewithdaz" tags (

A lot of people have tagged their work as "Sword and Sorcery":
    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/category/sword-and-sorcery
    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/category/swordandsorcery

Not everything under those tags is an entry, but most of the stuff in the last couple of weeks should be.

Here are the "must follow" rules. If it doesn't follow the "must follow" rules they must disqualify the entry or rather, assume it's not an entry.

Sword and Sorcery Fantasy Contest Rules - Daz 3D Blog

If you post to the DAZ Gallery it's sort of ambiguous, well actually very ambiguous, which social media tags should you use. #MadeWithDAZ from Facebook or @insta_DAZ3D from Instagram? And what do those translate to in the DAZ Gallery exactly? I guess to madewithdaz and daz3d. OK, now which one of those is required? Or are both required? Ambiguous so I used both tags, madewithdaz and daz3d although when I search for those tags/hashtags it seems the lions share of entries only used madewithdaz to enter the contest. That's hard to tell though because the DAZ Gallery is already pretty much 24/7/365 a Sword & Sorcery gallery already. laugh

Post edited by nonesuch00 on