Brand new i9 - RTX 3090 crashing BSOD when rendering Daz PNG Sequence

Hey all - I'm running out of ideas on what might be wrong with my brand new PC (specs at the bottom). I have a very simple scene with a Genesis 8 female (surface shaders reset against low opacity text - example attached) that rotates 360 degrees over 1200 frames. I'm exporting as a PNG sequence. I have an old machine with an i7 1080 combo that will render each frame in about 2 minutes. That old machine will run nonstop with no issues for 24 hours to do all 1200 frames with no crashes.  This new machine can render a frame in less than 30 seconds, but then it randomly blue screens the machine. Some times after 9 minutes, sometimes after 2 hours. I leave the machine alone to do the rendering. Everytime is the same BSOD "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT". I updated all the drivers for the machine upon receiving it, GPU is on the latest nVidia Studio driver. I've re-seated the RAM and the GPU. I've seen others with crashing issues being advised to look at the Event Viewer, but I must not be savvy enough to de-code what I should be looking for there. I see that the machine restarted when it didn't plan to, but I can't determine the cause. I ran HWiNFO64 to see if the VRAM was overheating as some have experienced with 3090s, but it never goes over 92C.

• Daz was installed via Daz Central
  • Hardware accelerated GPU Scheduling is ON
  • CPU Fallback is OFF and CPUs are un-checked
  • I've limited the CPU Affinity to half capacity and left it at full capacity, crashes eventually in both scenarios
  • The DAZ application is NOT on the C:\ drive, its on D:\

Made an over-the-shoulder video that shows the process. Crash starts around 8:26 on frame 35 - https://youtu.be/EQBDeVbcY2w

Any thoughts anyone has?

Machine specs:

• ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI ATX ARGB WIFI 6 DUAL 2.5GBE LAN 3 PCIE X16 4X M.2 SATA/PCIE
  • OEM INTEL CORE PROCESSOR I9-11900KF 8/16 3.50GHZ 16MB CACHE LGA1200 [W/O GRAPHIC] 125W
  • GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 GAMING OC 24GB GDDR6X
  • PHANTEKS GLACIER ONE 360MP D-RGB 360MM AIO LIQUID CPU
  • CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3600MHZ VENGEANCE PRO RGB MEMORY
  • CORSAIR RM1000X 80PLUS GOLD 1000W FULLY MODULAR ULTRA
  • CYBERPOWERPC DUAL ADDRESSABLE DIGITAL ARGB 120MM FAN x6
  • COOLERMASTER THERMAL MASTERGEL MAKER CPU COMPOUND
  • 1TB GIGABYTE AORUS (PCIE GEN4) NVME M.2 SSD x2
  • 6TB HDD 3.5" SATAIII 7200RPM 64MB CACHE 6.0 GB/s
  • WINDOWS 10 PRO
Simple DAZ PNG Sequence causing crashes.png
2160 x 2160 - 1M

Comments

• blazblaz Posts: 261
    Did you try stress testing your pc with one of the benchmark apps?
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,414

Searched for the error and while most of the sites were promoting some product to fix it, one russian site had this list (Yandex translated);

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT on PC
    To solve the problem, I advise you to do the following::

1. Go to the BIOS and reset it to default settings;
    2. Stop overclocking and cancel all relevant settings for your system;
    3. Disable the C1E and Intel Speedstep functions in the BIOS;
    4. If you have two video cards in your system (one discrete and one built-in), and you use a discrete one, then disable the built-in video card in the BIOS of your PC;
    5. Update your system device drivers to the latest versions.
    6. Use the functionality of the system utility SFC to check the integrity of system files. Run the command prompt as an administrator, then type:
    sfc /scannow — and press enter. Wait for the verification to finish, restart the system, and check if the error in question still appears.

• Ran OCCT 1hr stress tests for CPU, Memory, 3D and VRAM. No failures. Can run Cyberpunk 2077 for 5 hours with all settings maxed at 4k and no crashes. Generates a 16227 benchmark on Superposition.

Only Daz has caused the blue screening so far.

• blazblaz Posts: 261
    Maybe try leaving CPU fallback enabled. See if it switches to CPU. I've never done animation renders so I don't know how much more ram/vram it uses. You seem to have too little ram (32?) for a 24 GB video card.
  • ALMS DigitalALMS Digital Posts: 5
    edited July 2021

Tentative success update:

• Completely uninstalled Daz (even down to the Roaming AppData) and then reinstalled it with everything on the C:\ drive and nothing on D:\
      • Long term this will be a problem because C:\ is on a 1TB drive and that is going to be insufficient for all my Daz assets
    • Turned the CPU fallback on again and reduced the Affinity to only 4 out of 16.
    • Machine has complete 3 sequences of 1200 frames without crashing (and it has even sped up to be 20 seconds per frame ... further legitimizing others comments that Daz is not really setup to make use of a lot of cores.)

Still can't use DIM 64-bit or log into DazConnect without the program immediately crashing, so I'm stuck with DazCentral for now. I suppose I could use the 32bit DIM to install content to a D:\ drive library and then re-map it within Daz? If I try to do that within DazCentral, it just moves everything and I'm suspecting the key to my problem was that the actual Daz 4.15 application really needed to be on C:\.

I also agree that my 32 RAM is too small...but the total price of the machine just kept going up and I couldn't bring myself to spring for 64gb of quality ram. Black Friday maybe.

Post edited by ALMS Digital on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

Did you try replacing the libeay32.dll file and the ssleay32.dll file.

I have the same GPU as you and had nothing but problems until I replaced those Then DIM did not crash. There are a couple of places the software uses those files, so I had to replace them in multiple places. There are a few posts about it. 

They go here for dim: They went here: C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZ3DIM1

I would of course back up your files before you attempt it. 

• Did you try replacing the libeay32.dll file and the ssleay32.dll file.

I have the same GPU as you and had nothing but problems until I replaced those Then DIM did not crash. There are a couple of places the software uses those files, so I had to replace them in multiple places. There are a few posts about it. 

They go here for dim: They went here: C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZ3DIM1

I would of course back up your files before you attempt it. 

Replace the files with what?
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,010
    edited July 2021

Replace the old files by those names with fresh downloads of the same.

Edit to add: I understood it was that the updates had broken something so that fresh drivers were needed however going by the following post, it would seem that some had to roll back those drivers.

Thankfully this issue has not affected my setup [so far].

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559
    edited July 2021

On some windows machines daz studio will quit because of those files. They are located in several places within the daz studio program, and I found topaz studio also uses them.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6813106/#Comment_6813106

Explains it. This may help you. DAZ Store, of course, does not recommend this. 

The files you want are in: openssl-1.0.2u-x64_86-win64

libeay32.dll file and the ssleay32.dll file

This is a known issue with a windows update. I don't know if there is any fix.

you can find openssl-1.0.2u-x64_86-win64 on the web.   Use at your own risk of course.

Post edited by Serene Night on