Missing PMD files

mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 546
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Hi!

I have installed the DSON importer with Poser 2014 pro to see how it works and if it was usable.

I think I have everything installed correct, most characters and props work ok, but sometimes Poser complain about missing PMD files, it looks like those are autogenerated by the DSON plugin, any idea why sometimes PMD files are not created ?

I also get messages about missing textures for some cloth (only in Poser, the original G2 cloth in DAZ studio do not complain), no idea why that happen either, anyone else had same problem ?

I would prefer to use DAZ studio, I like it better most of the time, but the lack of documentation makes it pretty unusable for many things, it takes to long to dig up a tutorial on youtube every time so I thought I would give poser a shot and see how that goes.

But I have a lot of G and G2 characters and if I can't get them working in poser I have to give that up.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,657
    edited December 1969

Missing textures sounds like having the textures in a folder that DS has been told to use but Poser hasn't. The missing pmd files sounds more like having the writable content library for DIM set to a folder you can't write to (such as somewhere in program Files for Windows Vista or later).

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,783
    edited December 1969

I've ocasionally had the missing .pmd since installing SR 5.1. I hit cancel and the figure seems to load fine...

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 546
    edited December 1969

I don't think there is any problem with the directories because it works with most of the cloth, I think I will stick to DS, it looks like it works much better there, but thanks for the tips.

• DrNewcensteinDrNewcenstein Posts: 816
    edited December 1969

I get the same errors on a lot of things - The Interview Outfit asks for textures that don't exist, and items call for PMDs that do not exist. I've copied/pasted the name of the files it asks for and searched my My Daz 3d and Poser Content (both under Public Docs, full admin rights, Poser installed on a physically separate drive from C:\, etc) and get no results.

One thing I did find that was a problem is having two DSON folders anywhere on your computer (one under your Poser installation directory (Poser/Runtime/DSON) and one in your Poser Content (Public Docs/Poser Pro 2014 Content/DSON). DIM was putting items from the same package into both folders - i.e. shoes here, top there, not keeping them together). After a few hours of merging those folders, I've reduced countless problems to numerous problems, which is an improvement. Still can't load the Callidora outfit or accessories in Poser (can't create Unimesh geometry errors). Don't know if it's a DSON error or SR5 error. I did reinstall DSON, but not sure if it "took".

edited December 1969

Newc said:
    I get the same errors on a lot of things - The Interview Outfit asks for textures that don't exist, and items call for PMDs that do not exist. I've copied/pasted the name of the files it asks for and searched my My Daz 3d and Poser Content (both under Public Docs, full admin rights, Poser installed on a physically separate drive from C:\, etc) and get no results.

I just bought the Genesis 2M Internship Outfit yesterday, and it looks for missing shoe textures; I haven't yet tried loading it in Studio...
    edited December 1969

I just copied an existing texture and gave it the name of what it was looking for.

• QuietrobQuietrob Posts: 361
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    Newc said:

I just bought the Genesis 2M Internship Outfit yesterday, and it looks for missing shoe textures; I haven't yet tried loading it in Studio...

When using Genesis Clothing in Poser, I get that texture problem all the time. I don't trust Poser search, which seems to be Windows search. Instead I use an external search app (In my case Ultra Search by Jam) which finds the missing texture in matter of seconds. It allows me to open the folder containing the file. Once I do that I have the folder normally located in my Daz Library textures. I copy the texture folder over my Runtime\Textures folder in Poser. Once there it always finds the textures and applies them.

I still can't defeat the couldn't create unimesh geometry problem. It's truly strange in that the jacket and dress loaded and conformed properly but not the hat and boots. The Hat and Boots is what makes the outfit truly badass!!! If anyone has a solution to that problem I'd be grateful. I select the create Unimesh tab but it fails, gives me that couldn't create unimesh error and then when I check it's back to traditional mesh. Perhaps it's something when I export the CR2 to Poser?

edited December 1969

Windows Search has become a joke. In ye olden days (XP), I could type "fish" and it would return anything with "fish" - catfish, fishing, oafish, etc - now it wants the exact full name. I've had it search for a file that I was looking at in an open window - I could see the file in the folder - and it failed unless I typed in the full name of the file.

The missing textures for The Interview outfit were not included in the download. I found the Install Mangler zip, and I downloaded the files manually to compare. They do not exist.
    Probably stripped out at the last minute to sell separately, but the references weren't cleaned. Thought it was a Skyrim mod for a second :lol:

• LynZemLynZem Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    I've ocasionally had the missing .pmd since installing SR 5.1. I hit cancel and the figure seems to load fine...

That has been my experience too - the PMD will have a random generated temp name, yet the result is okay. It doesn't happen very often.

edited June 2015

The cr2's that actually load a DSON figure are auto generated and are in the the Writable Runtime Folder noted in the DSON Importer Preferences, under /Runtime/DSON/auto_adapted/content_files/

Each one of the folders there contains a .cr2, which calls the materials and morphs. The.pmds should reside in /RuntimeDSON/auto_adapted/data in the folder corresponding to the base figure or clothing item.; You can find the exact filenames for the .pmds called by looking in the cr2 with a text editor...

Post edited by WandW on