Assets don' t show up

b_eae3eff81bb_eae3eff81b Posts: 7
edited December 1969 in New Users

I wanted to import cloths I make with 3D Studio as obj files.
I import the file into DAZ - works fine and fits the actor (Genesis base male)
Now I try to go to "Assets" - right click on Scene, the menu shows up, left click on Assets, and, well, nothing happens.
I tried it with highlighting the actor, the cloth and nothing.
I have DAZ 4.5 standard installed.
So what's wrong?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,764
    edited December 1969

I'm not following the steps you are taking -could you give some more detailed steps? Have you rigged the clothes, or are you still looking at static geometry?

• b_eae3eff81bb_eae3eff81b Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

I have only imported the clothes from an obj file, so they are static geometry.

edited December 2014

I'll try to give a more detailed record:

I exported the figure (Genesis male) out of DZA as an obj file
    I loaded this obj file into 3D Studio max 9 and modelled a simple T-shirt like garment around it for testing puposes.
    I exported this mesh (only the garment, not the figure) out of 3D Studio as an obj file at scale 0.1.
    I imported the new obj file (the garment) into DZA. It imediately fitted to the genesis male figure.
    Now I wanted to rig it. As described in the manual, I highlighted the garment, then right-clicked on the "Scene" label, opening the contxt menu. In this menu, there was the header "Assets". I left clicked on this, but nothing happened. No submenu, no effect.
    I reloaded the scene, again imported the garment object, this time I highlighted the Genesis figure and tried again. Again, clicking on "Assets" had no effect.
    I gave it another try, this time I didn' highlight anything, again, clicking "Assets" didn't work.

Post edited by b_eae3eff81b on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

You need to use the Transfer Utility to rig the clothing to Genesis.

Here's a link to the info page.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/action/index/dztransferutilityaction/start

edited December 1969

The Tranfer utility was what I wanted to access when trying to click on "Assets".
    The manual (see you link) says:

Transfer Utility...
    Default Menu(s)

Main Menu Bar : Default Advanced : Edit > Object
    Main Menu Bar : Default Advanced : Edit > Figure
    Pane (Tab) : Scene (WIP) : Option Menu : Assets

The last option was the one I tried, as described above. I can open the Scene:Option Menu, and the Assets command is shown, but it doesn't work.
    When Going to the Edit > Object or Edit > Figure menus, there is no "Transfer" command, but only again the "Assets" command. When I click on this, I am told to load the "Assets" from the original import file, wich doesn't work.
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Just go to Edit/Figure/Transfer Utility and then fill in the details.

edited December 1969

The Scene pane options menu>Assets does have the Transfer utility for me - it sounds as if your layout may be missing soem elements, if you are using one of the defaults go to Window>Workspace>Select Layout to reapply it.

edited December 1969

The Scene pane options menu>Assets does have the Transfer utility for me - it sounds as if your layout may be missing soem elements, if you are using one of the defaults go to Window>Workspace>Select Layout to reapply it.
    Sorry, didn't help either. I'm starting to think it's a technical issue with my computer or installation rahter than some handling mistake...
    I even made a screen capture movie - perhaps this can help someone to find what's wrong (sorry, has turned out as a rather big file).
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

b said:
    Sorry, didn't help either. I'm starting to think it's a technical issue with my computer or installation rahter than some handling mistake...
    I even made a screen capture movie - perhaps this can help someone to find what's wrong (sorry, has turned out as a rather big file).

You might want to upload the video to youtube. People will use links from YouTube, but may be wary of downloading a zip or rar file.

edited December 1969

Sorry, didn't think of Youtube, because it doesn't work here at work, where I do most of this.
    I had to compress the file with rar, as the original film has over 9 GB.
    OK, started upload. Youtube says it will take another 713 minutes. In which time it will probably hang up...

edited December 1969

DAZ 4.5 standard

If you mean that literally then you presumably haven't entered the Pro serial number from your account. The rigging tools require DS 4 Pro rather than standard - the free serial number will activate the pro features.

edited December 1969

DAZ 4.5 standard

If you mean that literally then you presumably haven't entered the Pro serial number from your account. The rigging tools require DS 4 Pro rather than standard - the free serial number will activate the pro features.
    That solved it!
    To think how much time I spent trying to figure this out!
    Thanks a lot!

edited December 1969

I'm sorry it took so long, I hadn't spotted it and had to have it pointed out to me.