Can't Render Predatron's "Along The Prom"

Each time I try to render a scene I've composed using Pedatron's "Along The Prom" - https://www.daz3d.com/along-the-prom - the programme crashes. I can't see it as a fault with my laptop as I've been using it for Daz for 6 years and I've never had a problem rendering with it; it has 16GB RAM and currently over 40GB free C Drive space - 10 more than recently and I've done lots of renders with it at around 30GB - so it should be able to handle anything. When I first started building my scene (4000 x 2500 pixels) I had 6 vehicles and 12 characters in it and the only anomaly was that on spot rendering it was taking 15 minutes to get to the first iteration. But after adding 5 more characters to complete the scene it was taking an average of 1 hour to get to Iteration 1 and then as soon as it got that far it crashed. I ended up deleting all parts of the "Along The Prom" scene which aren't in the main camera view, rear palm trees that were in view but weren't essential, plus I deleted 2 of the cars and their drivers, but time after time it always crashes after an hour, even on spot renders. I've also tried different iRay lighting set ups, but it always crashes. To test whether or not it was a laptop problem I tried re-rendering recent compositions, iRay and 3DL, but all worked as well as previously, one 3DL scene which was for me a record 4000 x 2500 render at 9 minutes 21 seconds even broke the record at 9 minutes 10 seconds. Can anyone shed any light on why "Along The Prom" keeps crashing?

When it was taking 15 minutes to begin spot rendering when I had 6 vehicles and 12 characters the render consumption was around .9GiB, but after adding 7 characters (then also deleting 2 with their vehicles and parts of the environment) it always been 1.4GiB.

Comments

• It's probably just running out of memory - the working scene and the render data are not very tightly related, since the working scene doesn't use the full resolution textures or (for SubD items) mesh but does have the modifier stack controlling the shape of the models (which is just baked to a final shaped for the renderer). 16GB dos sound tight for such a full scene.

• Prince WaoPrince Wao Posts: 373

I just checked and I've done a relatively recent scene with 24 characters and 12 added props, plus I have one older and more complicated crowd scene with 38 of my own characters in it, plus as many Now Crowd Billboards, so I don't see it as a RAM problem.

In the related "Fatal Error Crash - How to resolve" thread Gemini Queen writes:

=====

One possible solution is to clear the DS and DSON cache.

By default, they are located here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp and C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\dson\cache

If you can not see your AppData folder, type %appdata% in the Start menu and Windows will open the hidden folder.

Simply delete the files in these folders.

- courtesy of the DAZ3D Help Centre FAQs

======

I've cleared the  temp folder in "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp", but re "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\dson\cache" there's next a data folder which contains oodles more folders which contain over 1,000 files. Surely all of these can't be deleted?! I've also asked on that thread.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,020

Prince Wao said:

I just checked and I've done a relatively recent scene with 24 characters and 12 added props, plus I have one older and more complicated crowd scene with 38 of my own characters in it, plus as many Now Crowd Billboards, so I don't see it as a RAM problem.

In the related "Fatal Error Crash - How to resolve" thread Gemini Queen writes:

=====

One possible solution is to clear the DS and DSON cache.

By default, they are located here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp and C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\dson\cache

If you can not see your AppData folder, type %appdata% in the Start menu and Windows will open the hidden folder.

Simply delete the files in these folders.

- courtesy of the DAZ3D Help Centre FAQs

======

I've cleared the  temp folder in "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp", but re "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\dson\cache" there's next a data folder which contains oodles more folders which contain over 1,000 files. Surely all of these can't be deleted?! I've also asked on that thread.

Yes and Gemini Queen answered on that thread ;-) Click here.

I've also cleared out that cache that the company says we can, with no ill effects ;-)

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206

I have had a problem before where something has taken an hour when it would normally take seconds to render, i just did a full restart and that problem went away, sometimes a 3rd party program on your PC is updating which may impact memory use, i also find if your one to leave Windows OS updates on this also can cause slow down as it will install updates on it's own accord which may interupt other programs running causing crashs i'll will install part of the update then the rest when you restart the PC sometimes this causes me issues with some programs while in use, i always found when i played games on a service like Steam that when they update the store page at certain times of the day & your playing a game it will cause some crash or bug in the game so  slow down or crashs could be linked to some service you have updating in the background, check your task manager too see whats going on maybe something else is reducing your normal output. Other then that some scnes are more intensive then others could be a memory hog of a scene.

• Prince WaoPrince Wao Posts: 373

A solution was given to me on another unrelated thread where I mentioned this problem:

3141592654 said:

This does not answer your original post, but in regards to making the image you want: can you separate it into layers and render them individually? I once did a classroom with 24 students on a laptop - I was able to separate each row of students (only 6 per row), the classroom, and props  and then relayer them in a program like photoshop. You have to be careful to match the lighting throughout, but it can be done.