DIM problem

I have a new Windows 10 64bit laptop that I am trying to move my Daz content to. The first thing I did was installed DIM to the location Daz reccommends....C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZ3DIM1. I have used Open and Run as Administrator to do this.  When it opens on my laptop, I enter my password, but the DIM closes.

Thanks for your help in advance..........

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Uninstall, download again, try again?
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited June 2021

Don't run as adminsitrator - if DIM needs to have elevated privilges it will launch a secondary tool and the system will prompt you to allow it.

Sorry, rereading I think you mean you have tried with and without - there is a security component that, on some sysems, seems to cause this issue.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Did you move your old DIM to your laptop or did you download it fresh from DAZ site to be sure you have the latest version?  I once or twice put off doing DIM updates and when I'd try to go in it would not let me and I had to get the latest from the site. So if it's been some time and you tried to just transfer it.... might cause issues.

frown  SIlene

• Joseph_TJoseph_T Posts: 43

I have downloaded the latest version, I have moved DIM from my old PC to the new one,  I have downloaded it using Open and Run as Administator , I have disabled Windows Defender before downloading and I downloaded it to new folder in..... C>Programs>MyDaz. Nothing works...........

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited June 2021

Just wondering - do you happen to have Apps disabled in your settings? You'd know if you do because you have to do that manually on Win10

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Just asking because I know it's fairly common for folks to immediately turn off a bunch of Windows features in 10 right away.

Oh yeah, I had to whitelist DIM in Windows Defender folder access, now called Ransomware protection. Check the whitelist info here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-controlled-folder-access-windows-10-fall-creators-update
  • Joseph_TJoseph_T Posts: 43

The RansomeWare was disabled and I also disabled Windows Defender, that did not help. I have several other apps that were no problem downloading, Affinity Designer and Photo, Crazy Talk Animator 3 and 4

DIM needs more rights like folder access than most other graphics apps, since it installs files everywhere, even in protected folders. Anyways, submit a ticket like the DIM page says. You can also try the fancy Daz Central in the mean time, less fancy with plugins though. https://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info/

Something strange is going on. I just recently built a new computer and had no troubles with DIM whatsoever. Then again, it was one of the very first things I installed. I am a Daz-aholic, after all!