Cart Reminder emails... Really?

I put my weekly PC+ freebie into my shopping cart so I wouldn't forget to add it when I planned to actually look at the sale this weekend.

Needless to say I was quite surprised when I woke up this morning and saw an email from Daz that "Uh-oh! Looks like you forgot something" and my cart had items in it that I hadn't checked out and paid for.

This doesn't seem "helpful", this seems "desperate and pandering for money". I immediately unsubscribed, which Google Chrome still thinks your mailblast links are hijacks and spam and try to prevent me from accessing.

Comments

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,301

I don't know what's going on with them.

• PhloxPhlox Posts: 95

Not a fan either, I got; 'Your items are ready to check out'. So now I've emptied my cart, but not because I checked it out. This sort of marketing really annoys me.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 633

Yeah, given the recent changes it seems like there's somebody new in charge of marketing who believes it's better to annoy long-term customers and concentrate on making a quick buck from people who'll never come back.

This email blast, the season pass fiasco, repetitive pop-ups that block customers' access to the store, the "new" bundles with old items, etc, etc, show that somebody doesn't have a clue how marketing should work for business like Daz. Even this current PC+ sale is a pale shadow of those in previous years. The 1.99 PC-for-a-day category filled with V4 and M4 items? Gee, what a deal.

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,114

Even this current PC+ sale is a pale shadow of those in previous years

Are you confusing the summer sales with the actual anniversary sales? 

This is only the second time we have done this, and yes, it's not meant to be as insane as the Oct sales.

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,114

You can opt out of the reminder emails only if you wish, so best of both worlds?

• ColinFrench said:

Yeah, given the recent changes it seems like there's somebody new in charge of marketing who believes it's better to annoy long-term customers and concentrate on making a quick buck from people who'll never come back.

This email blast,

unsubscribe if they are not useful - judging by past forum posts I think others will find them useful.

the season pass fiasco,

fiasco how? There were timing issues with the releases, but I don't believe it was obviously a fiasco

repetitive pop-ups that block customers' access to the store,

The pop-up seems to appear only for people who delete cookies. I understand the desire to block cross-site tracking cookies, but within-site cookies often 9as here) perform useful functions.

the "new" bundles with old items

of which there have been few recently - there was one this week or last, as I recall, but the majority have been all-new content.

, etc, etc, show that somebody doesn't have a clue how marketing should work for business like Daz. Even this current PC+ sale is a pale shadow of those in previous years.

as Jack said at the start, and said last year, this one was more a catch-up for people who had missed the October blow-out. Even so, I've picked up a few useful PC for a day items, there have been additional new freebies, and nice extra discounts on new releases.

The 1.99 PC-for-a-day category filled with V4 and M4 items? Gee, what a deal.

There have been newer items over the last few days (and probably were earlier, but I already had them).

• Daz Jack Tomalin said:

You can opt out of the reminder emails only if you wish, so best of both worlds?

Would have been better if we had to opt-in to them wink

edited May 2022

Redacted

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,958
    You can unsubscribe from the email itself. They have said that unsubscribe is separate from unsubscribing for newsletters.

Daz Jack Tomalin said:

Even this current PC+ sale is a pale shadow of those in previous years

Are you confusing the summer sales with the actual anniversary sales? 

This is only the second time we have done this, and yes, it's not meant to be as insane as the Oct sales.

When I wrote "those" in my post I was thinking of Daz sales events generally, not specifically the PC+ one. I believe Daz has offered the "PC+ For A Day" cataegory in more than just one previous sale, right? Or am I misremembering things?

Richard Haseltine said:

ColinFrench said:

This email blast,

unsubscribe if they are not useful - judging by past forum posts I think others will find them useful.

I can't recall anyone posting that they wished Daz would send them an email if they had something in their cart.

the season pass fiasco,

fiasco how? There were timing issues with the releases, but I don't believe it was obviously a fiasco

Look at the number of customers who decided to take a chance on the season pass but by the end of it said that they were disappointed and wished that they hadn't spent the money. Confusion over changing contest rules, suspicion that Daz used the season pass to pass off characters that would otherwise be unpopular and which could not be returned when unsatisfactory, etc, etc. I get the feeling Daz's first attempt at this missed the mark by a lot.

repetitive pop-ups that block customers' access to the store,

The pop-up seems to appear only for people who delete cookies. I understand the desire to block cross-site tracking cookies, but within-site cookies often 9as here) perform useful functions.

For a function which interferes with a user's experience that much, it is, in my opinion, bad practice to depend on something as transient as a site cookie.

the "new" bundles with old items

of which there have been few recently - there was one this week or last, as I recall, but the majority have been all-new content.

, etc, etc, show that somebody doesn't have a clue how marketing should work for business like Daz. Even this current PC+ sale is a pale shadow of those in previous years.

as Jack said at the start, and said last year, this one was more a catch-up for people who had missed the October blow-out. Even so, I've picked up a few useful PC for a day items, there have been additional new freebies, and nice extra discounts on new releases.

Please see my response to Jack above.

The 1.99 PC-for-a-day category filled with V4 and M4 items? Gee, what a deal.

There have been newer items over the last few days (and probably were earlier, but I already had them).

If there were any Gen8 character-related items, or environments from the Gen2 or preferably Gen3 era, I must have missed them. Once you get further back than that, the items are less likely to be useful and need to be on a much steeper discount before I would consider them.

edited May 2022

Redacted

• PhloxPhlox Posts: 95

AlmightyQUEST said:

You can unsubscribe from the email itself. They have said that unsubscribe is separate from unsubscribing for newsletters.

Done! Thanks for the tip.

• If Daz is going to start flooding us with more emails, and based on the other replies in this thread there are more than just a "you have something in your cart" emails they're sending now, it would be nice if there was a way to unsubscribe proactively from emails from your account page. Instead of getting the email and then unsubscribing. If I'm mistaken, I apologize, but scouring through my account settings, I see nothing for managing emails and subscriptions.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

I think they're a great idea.  Thing is, I got two of them together.  One is fine.

• ButchButch Posts: 797

Personally, I reckon it's a good idea to get a reminder, especially for freebies that expire.  Besides, apart from unsubscribing to the email, you could always pay for the items in your cart, before you log out.  Problem solved. 

• right now at least the emails are helpful reminders...if i forget to check out at the end of the day I miss out on whatever pc+ for a day items were in my cart... I missed a couple because I forgot to check out that night (suuuuuuuuuuuper short term memory here) and was very sad to find them full price the next day!  Not every day do I find something I want, but pretty often there's at least one or two "how do I not have that yet!" things in PC+ for a day. It's not all just V4/M4/G1 things, plenty of g8 stuff and props too. 

• HoMartHoMart Posts: 480

DisparateDreamer said:

right now at least the emails are helpful reminders...if i forget to check out at the end of the day I miss out on whatever pc+ for a day items were in my cart... I missed a couple because I forgot to check out that night (suuuuuuuuuuuper short term memory here) and was very sad to find them full price the next day!  Not every day do I find something I want, but pretty often there's at least one or two "how do I not have that yet!" things in PC+ for a day. It's not all just V4/M4/G1 things, plenty of g8 stuff and props too. 

but now, what is the plus in that case (forget to check out with PC+ for a day in chart) if I receive the remainder mail the next Day.

Happened here at least twice the last weeks (getting old)

The next day ALL the nice 1.99s are up to full again

and it looks like to me, as if DAZ3D is now looking for someone THAT stupid to check out then. (I hit the clear cart in those cases)

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

I'd have prefered an Opt-in to start with - I check the Daz page from my laptop in the evening but I don't check my email accounts on there. I know this feature is useless to me and would never have opted in. I found my first (and only) one the next day, sent at a time when I had already purchased everything in my cart. So for some of us this is not a useful feature and merely spam, even if I forget to check out I am not going to see this email in time to remind me.

DisparateDreamer said:

Not every day do I find something I want, but pretty often there's at least one or two "how do I not have that yet!" things in PC+ for a day. It's not all just V4/M4/G1 things, plenty of g8 stuff and props too. 

I noticed that today, it's pretty much all G8 related items, so that's good to see.

Unfortunately there wasn't anything in the category that I wanted, even at only $1.99, but that's just because of my buying preferences -- or maybe I've already picked up what was useful previously. Nevertheless, I'm glad they were included and maybe next time there will be something to tempt me.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,163

AlmightyQUEST said:

Does it announce the separate unsubcription feature in the notice itself?  If not, then where do they learn this if not from the forum which only a small fraction of users actually visit regularly? 

• HoMart said:

DisparateDreamer said:

right now at least the emails are helpful reminders...if i forget to check out at the end of the day I miss out on whatever pc+ for a day items were in my cart... I missed a couple because I forgot to check out that night (suuuuuuuuuuuper short term memory here) and was very sad to find them full price the next day!  Not every day do I find something I want, but pretty often there's at least one or two "how do I not have that yet!" things in PC+ for a day. It's not all just V4/M4/G1 things, plenty of g8 stuff and props too. 

but now, what is the plus in that case (forget to check out with PC+ for a day in chart) if I receive the remainder mail the next Day.

Happened here at least twice the last weeks (getting old)

The next day ALL the nice 1.99s are up to full again

and it looks like to me, as if DAZ3D is now looking for someone THAT stupid to check out then. (I hit the clear cart in those cases)

That's strange. my reminders came a couple hours after I put things in the cart and went away. Case in point, i added a couple PC+ for a day items from today's sale during my last comment, and got an email about 3 hours later that it's still in my cart and still on sale.   I'm guessing it just reminds you after a set amount of time, and it just happened to be at the end of the sale for you. It's not a next day thing. So for MOST things it can remind you in time not to miss out on a sale price. 

edited June 2021

AlmightyQUEST said:

Does it announce the separate unsubcription feature in the notice itself?  If not, then where do they learn this if not from the forum which only a small fraction of users actually visit regularly? 

I haven't put anything in the cart since before this started, so I don't even know what this looks like, but no I only know because it was stated by Richard and Jack several times. I imagine anyone who got them on the first day when it was triggering every few minutes instead of one per cart unsubscribed then anyway, don't understand why anyone wouldn't have in that case.
    Post edited by AlmightyQUEST on
  • FPFP Posts: 106
    If Daz is the only company sending "buy this" emails to you, consider yourself blessed. Do you get calls asking if you want to extend your car warranty?
    Those car warranty calls are not associated with anyone you have legitimately done business with though, and as far as I can tell are illegal. Maybe not the best comparison for this? I've gotten "you've left items in your cart" emails for places that sell physical goods that they can run out of stock on, it makes less sense for a digital product. Basically this seems to be made for the people who post minutes after the store sales update for the day to day they forgot to check out, which is useful, but having it be an opt-in system seems like it would be less risk of DAZ's email reputation getting tanked by people labeling them as spam.