Making a Metallic shader in Hexagon.

NautiousNautious Posts: 31
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Question for you. I want to make a metallic shader in Hexagon for use with clothing and robot models. I have no idea how to do this. Can someone help me please?

What I'm using as a base is Metallic paints which I've applied to watecolour paper. I'm also using Easter Egg and chocolate wrappers. I can take the photos for them all right, and put them onto the computer. I'm not certain how to make them metallic for 3D models in Hexagon.

All help is appreciated.

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Nautious said:
    Question for you. I want to make a metallic shader in Hexagon for use with clothing and robot models. I have no idea how to do this. Can someone help me please?

What I'm using as a base is Metallic paints which I've applied to watecolour paper. I'm also using Easter Egg and chocolate wrappers. I can take the photos for them all right, and put them onto the computer. I'm not certain how to make them metallic for 3D models in Hexagon.

All help is appreciated.

Which program will you be rendering in? All of them have program specific shaders.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Not a good idea to do the shading in Hexagon. Every rendering application handles shading in it's own way, so rather do that in the rendering application.

Rather set up the shading domains in Hex, giving them plain holding material colours.

• NautiousNautious Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

The program I'll be rendering in will be DAZ Studio 4.7. That's the CD Graphics Program I'm using now. I hope what I'm proposing to do can be done in DAZ Studio.

edited December 1969

Nautious said:

All help is appreciated.

Which program will you be rendering in? All of them have program specific shaders.

DAZ Studio. This is where I'll be making my artworks.

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Not a good idea to do the shading in Hexagon. Every rendering application handles shading in it's own way, so rather do that in the rendering application.

Rather set up the shading domains in Hex, giving them plain holding material colours.

Oh Ok. Thanks for that. Which program would you suggest for this? What I currently have is DAZ Studio, Poser Pro 2014, REalityPaint 64bit version 1.1, Silo 2.3. Will any of these suffice?

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Nautious said:
    Nautious said:

All help is appreciated.

DAZ Studio. This is where I'll be making my artworks.

Okay. In Hexagon [or whichever program you're making the uvmaps with], make them as best you can. The more area an island has, the more detail it can hold. As was said, in Hexagon, simply assign any solid colour to the material.

When you are finishing up the .obj file in D/S [be it to prop or figure], I would still recommend staying with basic colours and/or with images attached to the desired fields ... but keep it on the simple side. Why is because "applied shaders" don't always share well.
    When the file is "done", save out a !default mat file and then start making "shaders" for it to your heart's content. There is some information throughout the Commons and Nuts 'n Bolts about working with shaders. There is at least one free [or free with purchase?] shader tutorial in the Store. [a little dated but still]. Of course one can apply other shaders and see how people put them together and work with your own ideas for making yours. This way too, you can make as many shaders as you want for the one item. Shaders can be applied to "any" item though so they are quite popular ;-)

edited December 1969

Thanks for that. I'll try this method, and see what happens. I may just try making the shaders in DAZ 4.7, and see how that fares. I'll read over what you've said, and see what happens. This is new for me, so it may take a while before I produce anything. Nevertheless, I will forge ahead with this. Should produce something in a short while.