So what is everyone using for ruler/measure tool in Carrara?

kylegonyerkylegonyer Posts: 20
edited June 2021 in Carrara Discussion

What I am finding is my only option (unless I am totally missing it?),

Example tool below in Blender

The only way I can see is to make a cube with the dimension, place, and measure or align against that

Example I want to measure thickness of holes or floor or walls (easy enough to see in wireframe

Red cube is my "measure" object against . Here I have lined up and made the center point at the base so I can scale until it touches the other end to measure.
Note: This can get crazy as it takes many moves to do (add, scale, change center point and rescale and of course position next to what you are measuring).
I am then simply noting the height of the measure cube. There has to be a better way? A 3rd partyC arrara plugin maybe?

6a.png
7a.png
8a.png
Post edited by kylegonyer on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817

select a point each end and select the scale tool and look at the parameters for that axis?

• kylegonyerkylegonyer Posts: 20
    edited June 2021

Thanks WendyLuvsCatz!....just confirm I am following you correctly. So if I want to measure the thickness of a wall, I can set a point and look for a point opposite or darn close to it and then the Y would be the distance?
    If no point I could add an object and use it's edge and it will do the same? or must it be a point on the same object? I think I am understanding it correct? If so, this is definately a time saver!

9a.png
    584 x 635 - 100K
    Post edited by kylegonyer on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

You have the working box. I be,ieve you can set dimensions. Also the drawing plane may help. See hafway diwn tgis thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/297891/extrusion-confusion

also http://wiki.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/carrara/06_six/05_arranging_objects

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817

well either could work but it would need to be orientated to that axis not say 33 degrees or something,

I think you can set local or world or rotate your object or align the working box

I really have not looked into it but I do use the scale values to get rough sizes for the simple stuff I model

for that matter you could model a "ruler" with divisions spaced cm apart or your prefered measure unit and move it around too, a bit easier than using a cube

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801

if I model a building, I just start off with a standard door size 2040 x 820 x 40 and then just wing it from there cool