Going through the Daz3D tutorials and can't find Stonemason

rlmorganrlmorgan Posts: 18
edited December 2014 in New Users

Going through the Daz3D tutorials and can't find Stonemason

I apologize for such a simple question and I did search but something tells me I missed a download somewhere.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

Edited to add question to body of post

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

rlmorgan said:
    I apologize for such a simple question and I did search but something tells me I missed a download somewhere.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

Are you talking about a Stonemason product you downloaded and it's telling you're missing a file? Did you use DIM and what version of DAZ Studio are you using (or Poser, if that's what you're using)?

I'm not sure what you're looking for when your title says tutorials and you can't find Stonemason.

• rlmorganrlmorgan Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

I am using DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro.

As noted, I am going through the video tutorials I found off the Help dropdown which took me to http://www.daz3d.com/help/help-daz-3d-video-tutorials.

They are introductions to the various parts of DAZ but when I got to the video titled 2.1 Introduction to Scene Building, it asks you to load from the content library an entry called Stonemason. I searched and have looked through all of the content I currently have and I do not have anything called Stonemason.

I have 32 years in IT as a professional programer so I could probably pick something else and do the tutorial anyway but I don't want to miss anything. I don't have much experience with 3D software and am doing this, and this is probably too much information, as a form of rehabilitation as I have been very ill for a long time and if I don't keep my mind busy it goes places we don't really want it t go. My problem is 24/7 pain which is why I am replying at 4:31 a.m. EST. :-). Sleep is not often easy. Anyway, since I love art and 3D fascinates me since I do try to play MMOs with my adult kids, he suggested trying to learn more about what I was using as a way to keep the mind busy. I had several recommendations for DAZ3D as the best place to start learning and keep using as it is professional quality software.

So, like I said, sorry for such a simple question but I was trying to start with basic tutorials instead of just jumping into it with no idea of what I was doing and figured the video tutorials off of Help would be the place to start.

I downloaded everything I was told to download when I bought the software but I will be honest. I take some very strong pain medicine and sometimes it affects my ability to concentrate. That is one of the reasons I am now retired.

So, too much information but I have always tried to give as much information as possible when working on a problem; habit from 32 years of working in the field.

Respectfully,

Richard

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

The Stonemason product featured in the tutorial was merely an example to give you an idea of how to load content into a scene and use it. The City ruins are a separate purchase you can pick up in the store, but there are many 'free' options which are also included in Daz Studio's starter packs you can use instead.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

City Ruins is not one of the free items that comes with DAZ Studio. You will find several of these items here : http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=city+ruins Stonemason is the artist (a PA in DAZ terms) who created these items.

If you go to Help > Home > Interactive Tutorials, you will find a bar at the bottom of the screen which says Select a Lesson, and on clicking that, you will find a menu at the top called Interactive Lessons. It would be much easier to start with them, as the items referenced in the tuts are also supplied as part of the free content.

Please see the image below :

Untitled-1.jpg
    712 x 768 - 181K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

rlmorgan said:
    I am using DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro.

As noted, I am going through the video tutorials I found off the Help dropdown which took me to http://www.daz3d.com/help/help-daz-3d-video-tutorials.

They are introductions to the various parts of DAZ but when I got to the video titled 2.1 Introduction to Scene Building, it asks you to load from the content library an entry called Stonemason. I searched and have looked through all of the content I currently have and I do not have anything called Stonemason.

I have 32 years in IT as a professional programer so I could probably pick something else and do the tutorial anyway but I don't want to miss anything. I don't have much experience with 3D software and am doing this, and this is probably too much information, as a form of rehabilitation as I have been very ill for a long time and if I don't keep my mind busy it goes places we don't really want it t go. My problem is 24/7 pain which is why I am replying at 4:31 a.m. EST. :-). Sleep is not often easy. Anyway, since I love art and 3D fascinates me since I do try to play MMOs with my adult kids, he suggested trying to learn more about what I was using as a way to keep the mind busy. I had several recommendations for DAZ3D as the best place to start learning and keep using as it is professional quality software.

So, like I said, sorry for such a simple question but I was trying to start with basic tutorials instead of just jumping into it with no idea of what I was doing and figured the video tutorials off of Help would be the place to start.

I downloaded everything I was told to download when I bought the software but I will be honest. I take some very strong pain medicine and sometimes it affects my ability to concentrate. That is one of the reasons I am now retired.

So, too much information but I have always tried to give as much information as possible when working on a problem; habit from 32 years of working in the field.

Respectfully,

Richard

Welcome to DAZ3D Richard. I do this for the same reasons and for me it works a treat in keeping my mind off the pain and insomnia. Just remember this should be fun so don't let frustration get a hold of you, because trust me this can get frustrating at first.
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

Yes, welcome to the forums. I've seen others have given some answers. The more details you give us, as you did, the better the answers that can come. Please continue to ask..and as Szark says, have fun.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Richard, I always thought of learning studio as a bit like learning a second language. One that seems at first glance to be really similar to the one you already know but with some new words thrown in. And then you find out that some of the words you thought you understood actually mean something total different. For the first bit you muddle through and wonder if you well ever sort out what everything is and then one day it all sort of clicks and you at least grasp all the basics. After that much of the learning is about fine tuning and developing different branch skills.

Don't be hard on yourself when you feel like your not getting it. This is all both very simple and very complex all at once. It is a bit like being the director, lighting, casting, art director and wardrobe all at one time. There are plenty of pay for and free resources out there to help you with all of that and also loads of information and people who are happy to help with just about anything.