Newbie Help Required for simple material setting on a plane.

johnkammer1962johnkammer1962 Posts: 22
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have what I think ought to be a very simple problem, and would appreciate help.

In trying to construct a set I would like to have a simple base plane (the ground) to which I would like to apply some material (like stone, or grass). For some reason when I add a plane I cannot seem to be able to set the material to grass or stone, or anything for that matter and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I can change the color of the material, but I would like to have grass, not merely green.

So if someone could help a newbie with this I would be grateful. Likewise if there is a good tutorial for setting up and customizing the environment (sky, & ground) that too would be awesome.

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,990
    edited December 1969

Are you using a shader from he shop, or are you using custom material?
    If you wqant to apply "grass", do you mean a picture of grass, or something three dimensional?

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Search grass texture you like. Select plane in scene tab > select diffuse > click on diaglog box > apply grass texture.

• johnkammer1962johnkammer1962 Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

lee_lhs said:
    Are you using a shader from he shop, or are you using custom material?
    If you wqant to apply "grass", do you mean a picture of grass, or something three dimensional?

A picture of grass would be fine. I am just looking for a starting point. I have some 3d grass elements I can add later, I'm just trying to get a ground in the scene. For some reason the environments I've selected don't seem to start with one.

If I could get my own photos in there on the plane that would be fantastic. I'm sure there is a way, just don't know it yet.

Thanks!

• Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,234
    edited December 1969

You can add an image to the diffuse channel in the surfaces panel with your plane selected, its the little box near where you set the color, a drop down will appear just select browse and locate your image.

• johnkammer1962johnkammer1962 Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

Thanks! I knew it had to be something simple.
    Just getting overwhelmed somewhat by all the things that this software can do.