Saving multiple objects problem

BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856

If I have a prop like MICK (medieval construction kit) that is made up of many base parts (walls, windows, fireplace) 

I then use those parts to build a kitchen, and a hall etc and now want to save it.

If I save it as a scene subset, the geometry isn't saved in the data folder, and so it will be rejected by the store.

If I save it as a support asset/scene asset, it adds a user-facing folder in the same directory full of all the items that the prop is referencing. (See attachment) there will be an icon-less file for the wall, for the fireplace etc. 

Is there a third option that I've missed? How do you save a multi-object prop so that it used the data folder, without creating all those icon-less user-facing files?

building.JPG
152 x 826 - 23K
Post edited by BradCarsten on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,064
    edited June 2021

You can't share the models, you should include the Scene Subset and make the MICK set(s) required products.

Although not relevant here, the issue with the visible data items sounds like a folder selection issue - do you have one content driectory nested inside another?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856
    edited June 2021

Just to clarify, I was just using MICK as an example as that's the easiest way to explain the concept. This is completely my own product, but I have no idea how to package it now.

Going through other products in the store, no one else has this weird folder full of empty icons. Also, if I save it as a Scene Subset, then it places the word "Set" above the main icon. If I save as a Scene asset, it places the word "Scene" above the icon. Looking at other products on the store, eg. modular medieval village, they have the word "Prop" printed across the icon. 

Yes, my product has multiple nested folders

Post edited by BradCarsten on
  • OK, Scene Assets or Figure/Prop Asset would be the way to work - and they certainly shouldn't place the .dsf files in a user-facing folder.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,525

If I understand correctly what you are trying to do... You should first save all the individual, separate props as assets, and then use those assets to create the scene that you save as a scene subset.

The scene subset, when opened, calls for the separate props and places them in their right place.

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856

Thanks for the help Richard and PerttiA. 

I ran a test where I loaded in a few primitives and saved them as a Scene Asset, and it created that sub-folder. I then saved them individually first, as suggested above, and that seemed to work.

I then repeated the process with my assets and it kept creating the sub-folder no matter what I did. So frustrated and out of options, I looked at the .duf file, and strangely enough, it doesn't seem to be referencing those files at all. So I simply deleted those strange front-facing blank files, and low-and-behold, the product still loads in. So I have no idea what the point of those front-facing files is. I'm holding thumbs that this will work. If not, I will revive this thread. 

Thanks again