Filament gpu minimum requirements

What is the minimum system requirements for gpus for filament rendering engine?

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

I'm not sure what the actual requirement is, but filament was written for mobile phones. So it can't need very much or else it wouldn't run on a mobile phone.

• Mobile phones? What's it doing as a Daz studio rendering engine then?

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Running as the viewport it is much better looking and faster than the default "texture shaded" view and way faster than Iray preview mode.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,294

Filament was not written for phones, it is a render engine and also what JamesJAB said.

• Okay but what is the gpu requirements for filament? I'm looking at gpus now but all the gpus above say 5xx GeForce series and k2xxx series quadros are horrendously priced. $300+ even my old goto cards m4000 quadro and m40 Tesla shot up in price lately. Now I regret getting rid of mine. (I still have my m6000 quadro) and I have another rendering computer that needs a gpu and I'm on a fixed budget. I really don't wanna blow all $350 of my monthly discretionary spending on a gpu if I don't have to. Any chance I could get away with the k2xxx quadro k series Tesla or even better yet a 4xx or 5xx series GeForce gpu for filament????

• And if I do viewport what gpu requirements are there for that????

Well for those questions I'm not the best person to ask, particularly since I think getting the latest of anything is a waste of money. You're right about prices going through the roof, trying to get even second hand is not going to be cheap. As to your best choices, will leave that to the others here to answer.

Not sure if you've seen this.

https://google.github.io/filament/Filament.html

Dosen't really matter what devices it was written for.

It runs perfectly well on less powerfull deesktops.

• okay. do i need an iray compatible gpu for filament ie m6000 quadro or newer or is it a whole sseprate thing when it comes to hardware???? and if it is how do i know filament is using said hardware. and what hardware would you recommend?

• RemiliaSutton said:

okay. do i need an iray compatible gpu for filament ie m6000 quadro or newer or is it a whole sseprate thing when it comes to hardware???? and if it is how do i know filament is using said hardware. and what hardware would you recommend?

Filamaent does not use CUDA so it is not tied to nVidia GPUs 

Richard Haseltine said:

Richard is IceCrMn right and the Filament used in Daz is the same as the one used on an android phone?

• Faeryl Womyn said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Richard is IceCrMn right and the Filament used in Daz is the same as the one used on an android phone?

It's the Google Filament, but I have no idea how the implementations vary between platforms.

It's not going to be the one written for android's mobile phone OS specifically.Every OS is different that's why something written for mac won't work on Windows.

If you have a look at the projects github page you can see the source code for the different platforms it's been ported to.

https://github.com/google/filament

Filament was written for low resource environments so it could render in real time.As features are added more resources are required, and more time, to render the scene/image.

https://google.github.io/filament/

The platform you want to run it on, and the intended use of that platform would decide what features you include and what OS you build/compile for.

I personal like having it in Studio.I don't believe it was intended to be a replacement for iray or 3delight.It's another option for those that want to use a fast PBR style render engine instead of the opengl, or iray preview as they work.Some like the look of the renders so actually use it for their finished product.

It's good to have options.