June 2021 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Scenes, Landscapes, and Working Modularly

124

Comments

  • vamokvamok Posts: 231

    kerry said:

    vamok said:

    Pilgrimage

    Only when I saw your farm in the Render Contest did I have any idea what to look for. Good job, you made silos in space look totally every day.

    Thank you. Your comment pleases me greatly! 

  • Alewis478Alewis478 Posts: 74

    vamok said:

    kerry said:

    vamok said:

    Pilgrimage

    Only when I saw your farm in the Render Contest did I have any idea what to look for. Good job, you made silos in space look totally every day.

    Thank you. Your comment pleases me greatly! 

    I was very confused for a moment as my entry is also named "Pilgrimage" and I was like "where does this guy see a silo?" 

  • vamokvamok Posts: 231
    edited June 2021

    Alewis478 said:

    vamok said:

    kerry said:

    vamok said:

    Pilgrimage Afar

    I was very confused for a moment as my entry is also named "Pilgrimage" and I was like "where does this guy see a silo?" 

    Oh, I had not realized the title was taken already! Awkward. I apologize. I will come up with a different name. 

    Edit: I just added an Afar to the end of my title...cheesy I know. By the way I am amused with your silo comment/confusion. I could see how that could be a little bewildering!

    Post edited by vamok on
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 340
    edited June 2021

    Second Entry!

    Title: Hansel, Gretel and the Dragon

    Caption: When it came to trying to eat Hansel and Gretel, the dragon's plan was much more simple and straightforward than the witch's.

    Software: Daz 3D, Photoshop

    Challenge: Beginner

    Feedback is welcome!

    Hansel Gretel Dragon_edited.png
    2000 x 1600 - 6M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • vamokvamok Posts: 231

    katywhite said:

    Second Entry!

    Title: Hansel, Gretel and the Dragon

    Caption: When it came to trying to eat Hansel and Gretel, the dragon's plan was much more simple and straightforward than the witch's.

    Ha ha Brilliant! The texture on the dragon is most pleasing. 

  • kerrykerry Posts: 69
    edited June 2021

    Double post.

    red-path.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    using focal distance.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 314K
    Post edited by kerry on
  • kerrykerry Posts: 69

    Updated my entry after feedback from Linwelly  thank you.
    So I tried using depth of field and tried to get the hang of function like Fstop. As this is a learning challenge I at least wanted to show I tried so attached the result in the files. However, I didn't use it for the final render. Instead, I was more thoughtful in how I used photoshop blur tools. Mostly because I've taken a lot of Dreamlight courses and picked up the advice on rendering in layers and had already adjusted positions different to how they are in Daz. Fixed some outfit issues too.
     

    Title: Journey of the red path

    Software: Daz Studio / Photoshop

    Environment / new user challenge

    image

  • kerrykerry Posts: 69

    katywhite said:

    Second Entry!

    Title: Hansel, Gretel and the Dragon

    Caption: When it came to trying to eat Hansel and Gretel, the dragon's plan was much more simple and straightforward than the witch's.

    Software: Daz 3D, Photoshop

    Challenge: Beginner

    Feedback is welcome!

    MMMM Lifesize chocolate fountain with sprinkles. What could possibly be better inside than that? 
    Another fun-looking scene. My only feedback on the environment side of things is possible to bring some of the colours of the closer trees into the trees in the distance making the forrest look a little more together and maybe add a little haze to the peak.

  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 508
    edited June 2021

    Thanks @vamok and @Scott Livingston. I've tried adding a backlight and tightening the DOF to blur out the background a bit more (only a little bit, didn't want to lose the settlement below, like you said). I tried your suggestions with the matte fog and duplicating the mountain range, but I think the landscape is just too far away. If I make the fog strong enough to be visible it just adds an even grey pall over the area and when I tried adding mountains in the background, beyond a certain point parts of them would just... not appear in the render even if I can see them in the viewport (does daz studio have a limit for how far a scene can extend?) 

    Sentinel4.png
    2000 x 1143 - 3M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • vamokvamok Posts: 231

    aprilshowers2065 said:

     (does daz studio have a limit for how far a scene can extend?) 

    Huh, I don't know...I have had some pretty big distances before, but I am not sure how that all works out.

    If it makes you feel any better, sometimes I experiment for hours and then reload the last save again and start over. But I learn a lot in those "wasted" hours. Mosty what not to do! But that is important too. Keep struggling, it will make you strong :-)

     

  • ioonrxoonioonrxoon Posts: 494
    edited June 2021

    Late to the party this time, here's my first entry (hope so, at least, no idea if I'll mange another entry before the deadline) for the intermediate challenge. I tried to create an outfit using random props:

    Piercing & earrings - Disco ball from Stage Props
    Bracelets - Rama Drums
    Bikini top - Half dome mirrors from Prison Security Props & Aspis sheild from Aegis
    Bikini bottom - Quarter dome mirror from Prison Security Props
    Pendant - Shield from Atlantida Weapons

     

    Brass.jpg
    3380 x 2970 - 3M
    Post edited by ioonrxoon on
  • kerrykerry Posts: 69

    ioonrxoon said:

    Late to the party this time, here's my first entry (hope so, at least, no idea if I'll mange another entry before the deadline) for the intermediate challenge. I tried to create an outfit using random props:

    Piercing & earrings - Disco ball from Stage Props
    Bracelets - Rama Drums
    Bikini top - Half dome mirrors from Prison Security Props & Aspis sheild from Aegis
    Bikini bottom - Quarter dome mirror from Prison Security Props
    Pendant - Shield from Atlantida Weapons

     

    What you in for?
    I stole the prison guard security gear for my bikini

    Very creative, not at all how I was planning to use this prop back in my own renders.

  • ioonrxoonioonrxoon Posts: 494
    edited June 2021

    @kerry Thanks, I'm glad I found something to do with them; couldn't think of anything to use them for other than scene filler when I first got them.

    Second entry for the intermediate challenge - Atlantis Drone Scout. I've used mostly bits from Atlantida Weapons, with the reverse helmet being tha main body. I've also used shields on the sides, staves for limb details and a mace for the weapon.

    The limbs are made with Window cutters from Thief Tools and Spanners from Z Fix It Tool Kit and Poses for Genesis 3 and 8.

    Atlantis Drone.jpg
    1760 x 1463 - 1M
    Post edited by ioonrxoon on
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 340

    kerry said:

    katywhite said:

    Second Entry!

    Title: Hansel, Gretel and the Dragon

    Caption: When it came to trying to eat Hansel and Gretel, the dragon's plan was much more simple and straightforward than the witch's.

    Software: Daz 3D, Photoshop

    Challenge: Beginner

    Feedback is welcome!

    MMMM Lifesize chocolate fountain with sprinkles. What could possibly be better inside than that? 
    Another fun-looking scene. My only feedback on the environment side of things is possible to bring some of the colours of the closer trees into the trees in the distance making the forrest look a little more together and maybe add a little haze to the peak.

    Thanks @Kerry !

    I'll see if I can try any of those suggestions before the month is up :)

  • sueyasueya Posts: 767

    This is the final version of my entry for this month's intermediate contest

  • RexRedRexRed Posts: 793
    edited July 2021

    "Beyond Moria"

    Bekhuik Blazinggrog tends to his chores at the outpost.

    These hills have been occupied by the dwarves since time immemorial...

    Intemediate entry, 

    Made entirely in Daz Studio 4.15

     

     

    Beyond Moria small.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 2M
    Post edited by RexRed on
  • LaPartitaLaPartita Posts: 374
    edited July 2021

    Intermediate Entry

    I've wanted to do a render of Terry Pratchett's Discworld forever (a fantasy series that is set on the a world that is flat and shaped like a disc, and travels through space on the backs of four elephants, who in turn are standing on a giant turtle). I thought this contest would be a good time to try, becaue I don't have any turtles or elephants, and those are kind of important to the concept.

    I've spent most of the month kitbashing a turtle. I used the basic G8 male, mixed in a bunch of morphs, and rescaled a whole bunch of body parts (wow, does that sentence sound weird). Well, technically I used 2 G8 males, b/c when I couldn't get the back legs to work I ended up making another guy and using his arms for the legs (and that sentence sounds even weirder). The shells are bowls that have been heavily rescaled, and I finally got to play around with Mesh Grabber. The elephant is from some random playground toy, the elephant's ear  is a lilypad, and then the disc is a primative with a bunch of bushes on top. I haven't used shaders on ANYTHING, so hopefully you can really see how the image wa built.

     

    image

    discworld no shaders.png
    1920 x 1536 - 5M
    Post edited by LaPartita on
  • kerrykerry Posts: 69

    LaPartita said:

    Intermediate Entry

    I've wanted to do a render of Terry Pratchett's Discworld forever (a fantasy series that is set on the a world that is flat and shaped like a disc, and travels through space on the backs of four elephants, who in turn are standing on a giant turtle). I thought this contest would be a good time to try, becaue I don't have any turtles or elephants, and those are kind of important to the concept.

    I've spent most of the month kitbashing a turtle. I used the basic G8 male, mixed in a bunch of morphs, and rescaled a whole bunch of body parts (wow, does that sentence sound weird). Well, technically I used 2 G8 males, b/c when I couldn't get the back legs to work I ended up making another guy and using his arms for the legs (and that sentence sounds even weirder). The shells are bowls that have been heavily rescaled, and I finally got to play around with Mesh Grabber. The elephant is from some random playground toy, the elephant's ear  is a lilypad, and then the disc is a primative with a bunch of bushes on top. I haven't used shaders on ANYTHING, so hopefully you can really see how the image wa built.

     

    image

    Fantastic work, especially on the turtle head! I would have believed you had purchased it as a turtle model. As I was reading through and looking back and forth at the image realising how you did it I had a real ah moment on those back legs.
    My only feedback is to add a little more space at the top to match the amount at the bottom as it makes the bushes on the disk appear stretched and possibly light that area differently to give it an enclosed world look.

  • This challenge is now closed.

  • June 2021

    Showcased Participants for the June Scenes and Landscapes Challenge
     

    Alewis478

    Pilgrimage
     

    katywhite

    Hansel, Gretel, and the Dragon
     

    kerry

    Journey of the Red Path
     

    Showcased Participants for the June Working Modularly Challenge
     

    jerry_sanders

    Flying Toy, First Test Flight (Expanded)
     

    Perlk

    Twilight Lake
     

    Phatmartino

    Trappings of Torment

  • Congratulations to those who were showcased, and great work by everyone!

  • vamokvamok Posts: 231

    Congratulations to the winners!

  • Congratulations everyone! Well done!

  • Alias52Alias52 Posts: 225

    Awesome renders folks. I hope to get in on the action for next month!

  • csaacsaa Posts: 413

    Congratulations to all the winners. Cheers!

  • Congrats to the winners! Great images everyone!

  • jerry_sandersjerry_sanders Posts: 4
    edited July 2021

    Thanks for having the contest.   

    It was fun.

    I learned a lot from the suggestions and ideas made by/to everyone throughout the contest.

     

    Post edited by jerry_sanders on
  • PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 227

    Man the month got away from me... Agreed, congrats to all on some great work! Great renders all around and some awesome work throughout the month to refine them along the way!

  • kerrykerry Posts: 69

    Fantastic artwork shared this month, and congratulations to all showcased. I enjoyed taking part and hope to again this month.

  • perlkperlk Posts: 641

    Wow! Lots of wonderful submissions, and I really learned a lot. Thank you so much!

Sign In or Register to comment.