Ron's Brushes

jodycourjodycour Posts: 137
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I just recently purchased an element package of Ron's Brushes.
How do you use them? Do you have to download them to Photoshop? How do you do that?
How do you know that they are there?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You merge the folder called Presets in the ZIP to your Photoshop location.

Mine is in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Presets

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,823
    edited December 1969

Yes, you need to install them - to Photoshop or to an external location to which you can point Photoshop when loading the brushes. Are you using the DAZ Install Manager? If so you need to click the gear icon at top-right to open preferences, then go to the Applications tab and - if you haven't already told it where your copy of Photoshop is - click the + button to add a new application, use the drop-down lists to tell it you are locating Photoshop, and which version, then click the ... button to pick the folder that holds the Photoshop application.

• jodycourjodycour Posts: 137
    edited December 1969

Thanks this helped! But 3 of them set that it can't find a required path!

edited December 1969

Did you set the Photoshop version and path as a Photoshop path? Please show a screenshot of your Applications tab in the Install Manager preferences. Which items are refusing to install?

edited December 1969

Yes I did send the path correctly to my photoshop folder because 3 of the Brush sets did get installed! The ones that did not get installed are: Ron's Magical Snow, Ron's Particales and, Ron's Rain! I'm not sure how to send a screen shot! But I do know that I did do 3 of them correct!

edited December 1969

Which version of Photoshop do you have? Some of the brushes have slightly higher requirements than others, though not by much.

If you are using Windows 7 or later (not sure about Vista) you can use the Snipping Tool to take a screenshot -start it, drag out a rectangle about the area you want, and then click the disc icon to save it.

edited December 1969

I'm using Adobe photoshop elements 9

edited December 1969

where do I find the snipping tool I'm using Window 7

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

jodycour said:
    where do I find the snipping tool I'm using Window 7

There is a key just above the numeric numpad called 'Print Screen' click on that, and then in Elements use File > New > Image From Clipboard to load it into Elements.
    edited December 1969

Just type Snipping in the Start menu search box. But I think Elements is unable to use some of the brush sets, so that may well be why they won't install.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    edited December 2014

Just type Snipping in the Start menu search box. But I think Elements is unable to use some of the brush sets, so that may well be why they won't install.

Richard/jodycour - I have Photoshop Elements 9 and I have successfully used the brushes from all three of Ron's Magical Snow, Ron's Rain and Ron's Particles - I think the only things you can't use are Vector Brushes, grouped .psd's and I can't fully use some Photoshop styles - I haven't actually tried the styles in Ron's Particles so I can't say, but the brushes I use a lot.
    On the other hand I install these outside the DIM - just unzipping and copying the brushes to my Presets-Brushes folder
    Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited December 1969

How do you copy the brushes to your Preset folder?

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    edited December 1969

jodycour said:
    How do you copy the brushes to your Preset folder?

I just unzip the DIM file then drag the .abr file from the unzipped folder into my presets folder. For me this is in:
    C:\Users\Melanie\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\9.0\Presets\Brushes