"Ronin outfit" makes me long for a ronin outfit

HeraHera Posts: 1,952
edited May 2021 in The Commons

This title triggered my interest and it made me realize I really wanted to get hold of a real ronin / japanese warrior outfit. Something like these:

Even this ​chinese warrior would be cool!

Meawhile this fantasy lady might as well pass for crusader, hoplite or vallkyrie. Or Eurovision Song Contest artist for that matters. 

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    I definitely wouldn't want to fight in that new release, but it's doing wonders for her figure. As much as I like looking at music video style fighting costumes, I'd prefer to buy a "real" ronin outfit as well.
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,801
    edited May 2021
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,985

Yeah can never figure out why when looking for something like this, you always seem to end up with something you would probably find in a halloween costume shop..

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

if anybody knows about an outfit comparable to that chinese warrior pic in the op I would be happe for pointers! TY

•  Why it's called Ronin when even the sword is a Western-looking one with a cross guard? Not looking very far, Pamawo's Samurai Girl also is a pinup gear, but does look like anything related to the theme.

• joegerardijoegerardi Posts: 226

Ghosty12 said:

Yeah can never figure out why when looking for something like this, you always seem to end up with something you would probably find in a halloween costume shop..

Or the old Frederick's of Hollywood.

..Joe

• 3dLab3dLab Posts: 457
    edited May 2021

I think, the important things are here concept and design not projet name. people take the project for their artworks, not the name. It's just a project name.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Linwelly said:

if anybody knows about an outfit comparable to that chinese warrior pic in the op I would be happe for pointers! TY

It´s pretty old but it auto-fits reasonably well: https://www.daz3d.com/dragon-rage

• 3dLab said:

I think, the important things are here concept and design not projet name. people take the project for their artworks, not the name. It's just a project name.

I would usually agree, but when you have a product library numbering in the thousands, a descriptive product name is sometimes the only thing that guarantees you will be able to use said product when you need it.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952

Uthgard said:

3dLab said:

I would usually agree, but when you have a product library numbering in the thousands, a descriptive product name is sometimes the only thing that guarantees you will be able to use said product when you need it.

I'd traded in the sword for a guitar, or microphone on a stand and called her Hard Rock Angel or something like that. 

• Romulus71Romulus71 Posts: 142
    edited May 2021

Hera said:

This title triggered my interest and it made me realize I really wanted to get hold of a real ronin / japanese warrior outfit. Something like these:

Luthbel has an excellent Samurai set that would probably work for a ronin.

Post edited by Romulus71 on

joegerardi said:

Ghosty12 said:

Or the old Frederick's of Hollywood.

..Joe

Lol yes, also for the time period that this outfit is supposed to represent, I doubt fishnet stockings were invented..  It has always been hard to find decent non adult oriented clothing for Genesis 2, 3 and 8 female, more so if looking for proper looking fire fighter, police officer, doctor or nurse clothing..

Thanks @Hylas yes I got that one and like it as well, put it successfully on g3 characters, but there is still room for the chinese warrior in my library :D

edited May 2021

Hera said:

Uthgard said:

3dLab said:

I'd traded in the sword for a guitar, or microphone on a stand and called her Hard Rock Angel or something like that. 

smiley 

Post edited by 3dLab on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

a real chinese warrior wouldnt wear fishnet stockings?

Do not refuse to take the project because of its name...indecision

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,906

Though I do like this new outfit for an anime type purpose and plan on picking it up, I would love the two outfits like in the first post. That would be so awesome. 

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,082

The workmanship on it looks nice so it's a shame that the whole outfit makes no sense. Renaming it Eurovision Sexy Baby Outfit could help.

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited May 2021

I don't mind obvious pinup outfits, they're fun (besides, it's hard to beat dForce Deadlands Wear for Genesis 8 Male in this department with any kind of female "battle" outfit although a few ones on Rendo are coming close), but the naming is important for the sake of using the search function. If I'm searching for something like excellent Kadis set or an "armor" that obviously disassembles to armored thigh high stilletos, long gloves and some token underwear then I know what I'm looking for. But too often you type something like "medieval" into search boxes on various store websites (not just Daz) and you get return of more panzerlingerie.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
    edited May 2021

lou_harper said:

The workmanship on it looks nice so it's a shame that the whole outfit makes no sense. Renaming it Eurovision Sexy Baby Outfit could help.

It does look very good, but for a medieval Japan setting the outfit would make no sense, but for a modern day setting Japan it would fit really well..

PixelSploiting said:

I don't mind obvious pinup outfits, they're fun (besides, it's hard to beat dForce Deadlands Wear for Genesis 8 Male in this department with any kind of female "battle" outfit although a few ones on Rendo are coming close), but the naming is important for the sake of using the search function. If I'm searching for something like excellent Kadis set or an "armor" that obviously disassembles to armored thigh high stilletos, long gloves and some token underwear then I know what I'm looking for. But too often you type something like "medieval" into search boxes on various store websites (not just Daz) and you get return of more panzerlingerie.

Yeah there are times that sort of thing is good and agree it does get really annoying, when searching for particular content only to be greeted with skimpy versions of what you are looking for..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on

3dLab said:

Don't worry about it! You made a pretty cool outfit and gave it a silly name... now you're in for a bit of a ribbing, that's all. I truly don't believe anybody would not buy an outfit because of its name.

In fact, that "Samurai" outfit I made fun of earlier? I own it!

• Personally, I also thoroughly dislike skimpwear that comes without undressing morphs. I mean, you don't want your respectable office worker to take her jacket off? Fine, it would add some value and versatility in storytelling, but I can do without, but if your almost literally a stripper has more tamper-proof clothing than the proverbial nun? Something does not compute.

Not a dig against quality or this particular outfit, just a pet peeve of mine.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

@3dLab I wouldn't worry too much. It's still a cute outfit. 

3dLab said:

A name creates expectations, and that is a good thing because that's how you get interest in something and eventually people who buy it. It's one way of advertisement for the product.

When the expectations coming from the name are not met, you will inevitably get disappointed people, the name drew the wrong crowd for that outfit.

It looks really well made with good textures and great fit, it looks like it will feel right on touch. But it's not the right product for people who are looking for a Ronin outfit

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited May 2021

"Realism" is often overrated.

Ronin are romanticized figures in themselves, as glorified "warriors" who were mostly wandering armed thugs.

IMO, more cute outfits are good in any case.

Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,602

I figure 3dlab can model any type of outfit there is, but this style is very much what Mytilus is all about. I wonder if 3dlab could collaborate with another PA that is more into traditional styles and see if there is a market for a more realistic Ronan outfit.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617

..what gets me is the marked difference between male and female samurai/ronin/ninja/martial artist or whatever outfits.  The female ones always either be more skimpy and/or have to show cleavage.  Even the karate gi for G2F (none was released for G3) is more "revealing" than the male version (and there is no "open/close top" morph).

I ended up getting the dForce G8 versions and converting them to G3 as both are more "proper".

Oh and there was this for G3F which was part of the Tween Julie bundle (but fits any G3F female).

One of the worst contrasts was the Ren Outfit for G8F which is supposed to be the female counterpart to the Senshi Outfit for G8M.

Whereas the Nitsu Hinshi Samurai Armour for G8F (even though slightly stylised) makes much more sense. 

•  IIRC RSSY cross-gender converters for clothes and accessories are Genesis 8 only. Although they do make selecting wardrobe much more simple.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617

...there is a G3F/G3M cross gender converter as well. 

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-cross-figure-resource-kit

there are also individual gender based clothing and character converters from G8 to G3. I have all four of them.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,256

The Blurst of Times said:

Ronin are romanticized figures in themselves, as glorified "warriors" who were mostly wandering armed thugs.

Is there really such a thing as a "ronin outfit", anyway? Dress your character like a samurai, then make him look homeless.