The "No Later Then" Thread

angelikmayhemangelikmayhem Posts: 21
edited May 2021 in The Commons

I am fully aware that the Daz Web site is absolutely slathered with obvious and lazy spelling and grammatical errors. For instance, they just coined the word "dispributed" here:
https://www.daz3d.com/free-content-friday

However, this thread is dedicated solely to one error in particular: the repeated and egregious use of the word "then" in place of the word "than". For instance, at the same link above you will find:

--- "Discount will be sent via banner notification no later then 12 PM (MDT -6 UTC) on 5-25-21"

Now, I know what you're thinking: "Isn't '(MDT -6 UTC)' also grammatically incorrect--thus making two errors in the same sentence?" Very observant. You get an "A". But, you may also be thinking: "Mayhem, why don't you just contact them so they know?" Getting in touch with someone from Daz for anything other than a refund is like touching the Shroud of Turin: I'm not saying it's never been accomplished, I'm saying you and I are not going to accomplish it in our lifetimes.

Points may be awarded. A winner may be announced. The sheer bulk of this thread may crash the servers. Who among us can predict the future? Post away.

Post edited by angelikmayhem on

Comments

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008

I miss grammar... she passed away a long time ago.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,097

Spelling is a need

That modern writers rarely heed.

I hope these rhymes may lead

To planting proper spelling’s seed.

It messes with one’s head

That read’s past tense is read,

And though it’s said as red,

It’s spelled as read, instead.

Bullets are made of lead.

They can shoot you in the head.

But I wish I were dead

Whenever you use lead for led.

Oft’ in days of yore

We’d contract you are as you’re.

But if it’s spelled as your,

What follows belongs to one or more:

“You’re going to the store?”

“Yes, I’m headed out the door.”

“Your going to the store

Without a list may leave you poor.”

To spell as well as professionals do,

We must differentiate too and to.

We need to have a clever clue:

Have I too many o’s or too few?

T and O wanted to go to the store.

O’s twin tagged along too, that’s more.

T said, “Two O’s is too many, that’s sure.”

Next time, only T and O went to the store.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

I see "then" used for "than" so often these days I'm not that surprised anymore. It does make me re-read a sentence twice because the first time it makes no sense. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,626

...another couple commonly mixed up are ensure and insure

That said there's an area of the terminal at Milwaukee's 8WI) airport named...:

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,225
    edited May 2021

Those types of language errors are because people don't read enough.  Don't actually see the word written out.  They just go by the sound and their imagined spelling, which in English, is dangerous.  I'm often wrong, but I predict that in 100 years 80% of the populace will not know how to write, but will be able to make videos when they are 3 years old.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

kyoto kid said:

...another couple commonly mixed up are ensure and insure

That said there's an area of the terminal at Milwaukee's 8WI) airport named...:

That's kind of awesome. 

LeatherGryphon said:

Those types of language errors are because people don't read enough.  Don't actually see the word written out.  They just go by the sound and their imagined spelling, which in English, is dangerous.  I'm often wrong, but I predict that in 100 years 80% of the populace will not know how to write, but will be able to make videos when they are 3 years old.indecision

Ewe are probably write... especially since Evan when people use predictive text oar spell check, it ain't worth a damn... weight... dam... or is it damn?... the ones beavers make... probably damn... Anyway, eye blame English teachers because they are usually pretty boaring, if England wood export more interesting teachers, dumb kids wood knot bee sew board bye the English language and wood probably learn how two spell bettor or at least axe dare teachers how two spell certain words correctly.
    Eventually, people Wil just defer two watt ever spellcheck inserts oar suggests and wee awl no how DAT usually turns out.
    Butt ewe never no, May bee bye that thyme the row bots will have gotten sic of hour constant Miss spelling and will just start righting awl hour letters four us. 
    Oar day ill just get sic of us and vaporize human it tea.

Either way, eye blame English teachers and spellcheck.

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,311

Yep, guilty as charged; as English is not my native language and sometimes typing before thinking, I'll make those mistakes (certainly the 'then/than' one)

One funny example I came across on a Dutch site, but I think it does explain it quite well for 'us' Dutchies cheeky..

https://www.vertaalbureau-perfect.nl/actueel/taalfeit-then-of-than

"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!"

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,273

"Should/would/could of" probably bothers me the most.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    Irregardless!!!
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,747

And “anyways” and “nother” are not words... Those drive me crazy,

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,747

Also “wait on” means like a waiter, whereas you wait FOR your friend. Grammar is dead. 

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited May 2021

I agree people need to write proper standardized English... or is that "standardised" :0

Disirregardless, language is a living changing thing. If enough people agree something is a word or correct grammar, it is. You'd also be surprised how many grammatical "rules" and correct spellings were created in the 17th and 18th centuries (mostly by Latin obsessed weirdos)

Post edited by j cade on

At school (a long time ago) I was told to avoid ending sentences with prepositions, like "for" or "on". I still try to unless it sounds confusing or unnatural. Grammar and language itself is not static and evolves over time unless it's a dead language like Latin, so I'm happy to accept whatever changes come along so long as meaning is clear. Though I do draw the line at using nouns as verbs.

Wonderland said:

... Grammar is dead. 

Yes, that's what I said... she died in the late 90s, coincidentally in her late 90s... I miss her cooking too.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited May 2021

fred9803 said:

At school (a long time ago) I was told to avoid ending sentences with prepositions, like "for" or "on". I still try to unless it sounds confusing or unnatural. Grammar and language itself is not static and evolves over time unless it's a dead language like Latin, so I'm happy to accept whatever changes come along so long as meaning is clear. Though I do draw the line at using nouns as verbs.

Not a fan of Shakespeare then? There was a man who loved some verbing... though we cant blame "friended" on him, that one predates him by about 200 years

(More seriously, there's some grating verbified jargon, but a truly staggering number of verbs started their english journey as nouns. If you truly tried to avoid them all, you would probably end up entirely unable to functionally communicate)

If I have one grammar complaint, it is that everyone has not yet accepted the utility and perfection of "y'all". I am willing to accept that "y'alld've" is a bridge to far for the written word as yet, but "y'all" should be just as acceptable as "I'm"

edit: also you can say "you're not" and "you aren't"

"she's not" "she isn't"

"They're not" "they aren't"

but only "I'm not" and not "I amn't"

this is clearly illogical and I demand "I amn't" be allowed forthwith

Post edited by j cade on

LeatherGryphon said:

..."Shaka, when the walls fell." 

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

McGyver said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Ewe are probably write... especially since Evan when people use predictive text oar spell check, it ain't worth a damn... weight... dam... or is it damn?... the ones beavers make... probably damn... Anyway, eye blame English teachers because they are usually pretty boaring, if England wood export more interesting teachers, dumb kids wood knot bee sew board bye the English language and wood probably learn how two spell bettor or at least axe dare teachers how two spell certain words correctly.
    Eventually, people Wil just defer two watt ever spellcheck inserts oar suggests and wee awl no how DAT usually turns out.
    Butt ewe never no, May bee bye that thyme the row bots will have gotten sic of hour constant Miss spelling and will just start righting awl hour letters four us. 

My aye's are bleeding crying

...my no's is running.

j cade said:

I am willing to accept that "y'alld've" is a bridge to far for the written word as yet, but "y'all" should be just as acceptable as "I'm"

You've just raised another one for me... people using "to" for the word  "too". 

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,692

McGyver said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Thanks!! I kneaded a good laugh ... but now I knead a new keyboard. I no better then (or is it than, know I'm shore it's then) to reed one of you're posts while drinking!!

Knot really - I do no better than to even think about reeding anything you rite with liquids anywhere a round me wink 

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,341

I miss the days of writing letters to family and friends, especially one friend in particular, who had a habit of correcting spelling and grammar in my letters and sending them back with her letter.

She was most probably a teacher like me, sorry, I. I sometimes get the urge to do that here like I just did, but not necessclery. 

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,073

The tagline covers part of the problem. There was an interesting short story in Analog back in 1946 - Meihem in ce klasrum - that proposed a method for simplifying the English language at the rate of one change per year.

kyoto kid said:

LeatherGryphon said:

..."Shaka, when the walls fell." 

yes 

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,139
    In these days of spell checkers, I find predictive text is a rich seam of tripe writing that is heavily mined by all & sundry.
  • Hemi426Hemi426 Posts: 210
    I think German language is worse. "Umfahren" (to swerve) is the opposite of "Umfahren" (to run over something). It's just pronounced different.
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,273

Hemi426 said:

I think German language is worse. "Umfahren" (to swerve) is the opposite of "Umfahren" (to run over something). It's just pronounced different.

English has plenty of those. "Cleave" could mean to cut apart or stick together, and they're NOT pronounced differently. 

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/cleave

Naturally, the Germans are to blame. 

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,985
    edited May 2021

Can say though that English is a funny language in that it is a mish mash of many other languages.. On other things take the word "bow" now you say okay it is bow as in bow and arrow, but it can also mean to take a bow, and you are on the bow of a boat..

One word pronounced differently can be three different things, although the last two are pronounced the same.. Another is bough of a tree is pronounced the same as taking a bow, but again mean two different things and are spelt differently..

Now on English being a mish mash of many languages we have the word, army it is from the Latin word arma via the old French word armée.. And then you have the word yacht which is from the Dutch word Jacht, which interestingly means to hunt..

There is a lot more but you get the idea..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on