legal to convert a body suit in to a manikin ?

RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I can make & sell a body suit made for V5.

I go to shaping and turn V5 in to M5.
Now the body suit fits M5.

I export the M5 body suit ,Save it as a M5 manikin.

Can I use the M5 manikin in zBrush .Is that legal ?
Can I sell the M5 manikin. Is that legal ?

Thanks

Comments

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,767
    edited December 1969

Nope

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,114
    edited December 1969

I'm not clear what you are asking? Are you asking if, for a piece of clothing, you can use the auto-generated morph from DAZ Studio as a starting point for a custom morph? Or are you wanting to create a new piece of clothing from something? You wouldn't usually create separate M5 and V5 outfits, since both are morphs of Genesis.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

I'm not clear what you are asking? Are you asking if, for a piece of clothing, you can use the auto-generated morph from DAZ Studio as a starting point for a custom morph? Or are you wanting to create a new piece of clothing from something? You wouldn't usually create separate M5 and V5 outfits, since both are morphs of Genesis.

Well, yeah, as true as that is, many of us were surprised to see that there's still quite a bit of exclusive fitting between V5 & M5 specific items. And like trying to Autofit Gen 3 & 4 to Genesis, the problem is most notable in footwear.
  • RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

99.9% of zBrush tools are illegal to use on genesis so half to use manikin's.
    I need a manikin for V5 ,M5 ,Morphed Monsters , ect ect .
    I do not want to make 10 different manikins.

Since I can sell V5 body suit that any one can shape in to M5 ,thought it would be legal to make a manikin this way.
    Always best to ask just in case.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Step 1: I model a body suit in C4D legally using V5.
    Step 2: Export body suit to D/S Pro 4,make it body suit cloths for V5.

Step 3 GoZ V5 body suit cloths to zBrush make a bikiny out of the V5 body suit cloths.
    Is the bikiny I made in zBrush from the V5 body suit legal to sell to the public ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I am going to make M5 some armor in zBrush.
    I need a M5 Manikin.
    I could spend hours modeling a M5 manikin or I could take V5 body suit shape it in to M5
    GoZt to zBrush make the M5 armor from V5's body suit cloths.
    Can I sell the M5 manikin I made from V5's body suit to the public ?
    Is the Armor I made in zBrush from the V5 body suit legal to sell to the public ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edited December 1969

Make a quick suit for the base Genesis and use that as the basis for making clothes. Add morphs for shapes like M5 and V5 as you deem appropriate for the item of clothing (and you can use the morph generated by DAZ Studio as the starting point for your morph). What you are proposing, while not impossible, is going to be a lot of work - you will take your hypothetical armour modelled around M5 into DS, use reverse Deformation to fit it to the base Genesis (which will then need all sorts of tidying up if you want a shop-ready product), then you will load your original M5 shape as a morph, and you will need to create new morphs for other shapes you wish to support. Anything detailed enough that you'd want a separate figure fort each shape isn't going to be something you can model from a quick suit anyway.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

When you create your mannikins, are you using re-topo tools?

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

"Since I can sell V5 body suit "

If you are not the original mesh creator you can't sell it. It isn't yours to sell regardless of how much modification you do to it.

edited December 1969

Make a quick suit for the base Genesis and use that as the basis for making clothes. Add morphs for shapes like M5 and V5 as you deem appropriate for the item of clothing (and you can use the morph generated by DAZ Studio as the starting point for your morph). What you are proposing, while not impossible, is going to be a lot of work - you will take your hypothetical armour modelled around M5 into DS, use reverse Deformation to fit it to the base Genesis (which will then need all sorts of tidying up if you want a shop-ready product), then you will load your original M5 shape as a morph, and you will need to create new morphs for other shapes you wish to support. Anything detailed enough that you'd want a separate figure fort each shape isn't going to be something you can model from a quick suit anyway.

Richard Haseltine

If you would be so kind as to answer yes or no to these questions ,would help me a lot to understand what is and is not legal.

Is the bikiny I made in zBrush from the V5 body suit legal to sell to the public ?

Can I sell the M5 manikin I made from V5’s body suit to the public ?
    Is the Armor I made in zBrush from the V5 body suit legal to sell to the public ?

Thanks a lot

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

Simple answer. NO! You did not create the original mesh. You can not sell a modified mesh created by another person or company. They own it, even if it's modified they still own it.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Simple answer. NO! You did not create the original mesh. You can not sell a modified mesh created by another person or company. They own it, even if it's modified they still own it.

I did create the original mesh

edited December 1969

The Bodysuit you made is from the mesh of V5 or M5. You did not create V5 or M5 so you did not create the mesh. You made a mesh copy, so it is a copy of another persons work. I'm just trying to explain this to you, even a copy is just a modification. You can make all you want for your own use but you can not sell or give them away. That is the truth.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    The Bodysuit you made is from the mesh of V5 or M5. You did not create V5 or M5 so you did not create the mesh. You made a mesh copy, so it is a copy of another persons work. I'm just trying to explain this to you, even a copy is just a modification. You can make all you want for your own use but you can not sell or give them away. That is the truth.

not a copy I made it in C4D it's mine

edited December 1969

That part was not made clear untill just now. The way things read it was very unclear that you were not using any of the original M5 or V5 meshes.

The mesh is yours so I see no problems. But I will leave that up to the Published Artist to debate with you. I'm only sure that the mesh must not be a copy. Thank you for clearing that up.

edited December 1969

If you modelled it yourself then yes, you can sell it or cut down bits of it. I don't know about the move to m5 though, and as I said the workflow sounds unlikely to work so I don't see any benefit in trying to get an answer to a purely academic question.

edited December 1969

I will try to explain so it all makes since.
    My main objective is to make a graphic novel / comic book with killer art.
    Not your typical art found in a lot of comics. but killer Art .
    Has to look more like Luis Royo ,Boris Vallejo ,Olivia De Berardinis. Royo ,Boris ,Olivia are my fav Artist.
    I need to make 2 pages in 8 hours.
    So I can release a 50 page graphic novel with killer art on the first of every month.
    -
    1 _ If I hand draw the comic book with pencial paper ,scan the drawing ,color in gimp ,tweek with topaz.
    Takes to long to make it that way. I get one page in 16 to 32 hours.
    -
    2 _ If I create all of it in gimp ,tweek in topaz.
    Takes to long to make it that way. I get one page in 16 to 32 hours.
    -
    So Drawing is out of the question ,My only hope is 3D.
    The fastest 3D app is zBrush ,also has the killer art.
    zBrush does not have rig.
    D/S Pro has rigs.
    -
    So zBrush and D/S is my only hope.
    So I am making stuff with zBrush & D/S for the graphic novel.
    -
    If I can make it legally then I will sell it.
    -
    One last legal question
    Is it legal for me to rig my female and male ,monster meshes in D/S Pro and sell them ?

edited December 1969

What are you wanting to sell? A graphic novel, assuming that means 2D images, is legal to sell if made using almost any content from the DAZ store (the sole exception being the Anne Marie Goddard Digital Clone, which has some additional restrictions) and you can make or modify the content in any way you like for use in those renders. However, making and selling 3D content is subject to more restrictions - the mesh has to be all your own work, not the product of any kind of auto-retopology or shrink-wrapping tools and not a modified version of another product.

edited July 2012

Oh man, if all you want to do is sell a graphic novel your golden. Like Richard said I only know of that one item that can not be used in commercially sold art. Please let us know in the forums when you go live. I'm a comic/graphic novel nut.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Richard Haseltine : Thanks a lot for all your help .I do sincerely appreciate it.
    -
    Jaderail : Atomic Hell issue No .1 will be released Halloween.
    I promise to post it in all the forums ,Only advertisement I can aford ,LOL.
    Lets hope where not the only 2 comic/graphic novel nuts.
    I'm betting every thing I have on this.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited August 2012

RorrKonn said:

That's ambitious, the highest page rate Poser/Studio comic I know is Requiem, which manages a page every weekday - but note that Requiem's artist has been doing this for 8 years and there has been a visible learning curve, some of the earlier pages had noticeable lighting or rendering issues. http://requiem.spiderforest.com/

TMI comes close to a page a day at times, but often has minor pokethrough or other issues. http://tmi-comic.com/

Most other Poser webcomics produce a page a week at best. One I've recently discovered whose artwork I particularly like is Riven Sol: http://www.rivensol.com because it deliberately steers away from a realistic colour palette in favour of a cartoonish render.

The only CG comic I know that made a serious effort to combine several tools and build its own meshes was Crimson Dark, where the author used Poser and C4D, and then painted over the top for clothing details. That struggled to deliver several pages per week. I thought the overall level of achievement was impressive, but that he might have been better off relying on a purely rendered workflow - I liked the art but it was clearly time-consuming. http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/

Is it legal for me to rig my female and male ,monster meshes in D/S Pro and sell them ?

If you created the mesh from scratch, you can do whatever you like with it. The problem arises when a mesh is derived from someone elses.
    Post edited by DWG on
    edited December 1969

DWG said:
    RorrKonn said:

That's ambitious, the highest page rate Poser/Studio comic I know is Requiem, which manages a page every weekday - but note that Requiem's artist has been doing this for 8 years and there has been a visible learning curve, some of the earlier pages had noticeable lighting or rendering issues.http://requiem.spiderforest.com/

TMI comes close to a page a day at times, but often has minor pokethrough or other issues. http://tmi-comic.com/

Most other Poser webcomics produce a page a week at best. One I've recently discovered whose artwork I particularly like is Riven Sol: http://www.rivensol.com because it deliberately steers away from a realistic colour palette in favour of a cartoonish render.

The only CG comic I know that made a serious effort to combine several tools and build its own meshes was Crimson Dark, where the author used Poser and C4D, and then painted over the top for clothing details. That struggled to deliver several pages per week. I thought the overall level of achievement was impressive, but that he might have been better off relying on a purely rendered workflow - I liked the art but it was clearly time-consuming. http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/

If you created the mesh from scratch, you can do whatever you like with it. The problem arises when a mesh is derived from someone elses.

Professor DWG : You are very educational.
    And those 4 comics are very kool.
    I am guessing there making them for fun.
    The success of there comic probably does not depend on them eating or paying the bills.
    -
    I'm betting every thing on Atomic Hell.
    I've always had the altitude all or nothing.
    Either Atomic Hell succeeds or I become a bumb.
    No ,Know one has ever called me sain.
    -
    If I want to survive ,Then I half to force CGI App's to produce killer Art very fast.
    Hopefully buy Atomic Hell issue No. 4 ,Atomic Hell would have made enough to hire some help.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Set up a render farm, say 5 comps; i9s preferred, and about 8gig of ram per comp.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited August 2012

RorrKonn said:

I am guessing there making them for fun.
    The success of there comic probably does not depend on them eating or paying the bills.

Actually Crimson Dark's author used it to build a professional career as a writer on Knights of the Old Republic and was working full time on it until he got a position on a CGI diploma course, at least one of the other authors is not working and able to devote as much time as he likes to it.

The number of people successfully surviving solely based on web-comic/CG-based comic production is tiny. Howard Tayler of Schlock Mercenary http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ , Jeph Jacques of Questionable Content http://www.questionablecontent.net/ , Phil Foglio of Girl Genius http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/ who had an existing reputation as a cartoonist before moving to web-based. Tom Siddell of Gunnerkrigg Court http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/index2.php went to full time a couple of months ago.

Of these, Schlock Mercenary, Girl Genius and Gunnerkrigg Court bring in their money by selling print versions, putting out maybe one book a year, with some support from associated merchandise such as prints and teeshirts. QC seems to reverse that, relying primarily on the merchandise. I don't know anyone using the business model you are proposing - I'll wish you good look, but you need to research what works and what doesn't and, whether you like their stories or not, the four people above are people you should be watching to see how they do it. Howard Tayler of Schlock Mercenary in particular talks a lot about the business in his blog on the strip itself and in his Writing Excuses podcast http://www.writingexcuses.com/

Post edited by DWG on
    edited December 1969

ManStan : say 5 comps; i9s preferred, and about 8gig of ram per comp.
    Sounds fast to me :ahhh:
    -
    Proffesor DWG : Your a Wiki of Comics.
    I can tell you all about CGI App's.
    I Don't know know much about Comics.
    Your info is very helpful.
    Atomic Hell tShirts n hats would be kool.
    I am hoping someday to have Atomic Hell in print like Heavy Metal ,Marvel ,DC.
    But Atomic Hell story line and art has to be wicked kool to get there.
    -
    Here's a drawing I did of Atomic Hell's LOGO
    -

RK_AHL-800.jpg
    800 x 800 - 128K