The following files could not be found: data/daz 3d/genesis 8/female/genesis8male.dsf

I recently had an incident where, to get my machine back running again, I had to do some sort of restore-Windows-to-factory-settings thing, where it promised to keep all my files intact, but would remove all the not-from-Microsoft programs.  Essentially it created a new install of Windows 10, and I had to reinstall all my programs.  I had (and still ahve) all my Daz Studio content on another drive, but have had to go through hoops getting certain things back working right again, such as certain shaders that relied on the nvidia !vMaterials directories being in place on the C: drive.

Anyway, today I discovered that all my old, saved scenes and scene subsets that have a Genesis 8 Female character in them are giving me the following error after I load the scene or the scene subset:

The following files could not be found: data/daz 3d/genesis 8/female/genesis8male.dsf

When I navigate down into the listed location on my E: drive (where I have all my Daz Studio content stored), I can see a Genesis8Female.dsf in there, but no Genesis8Male.dsf

Strangely, a scene preset of a G8F character that I saved out new after the reinstall isn't giving me this error.  On the other hand, none of the loaded characters are showing any obvious sign of incorrect shape or anything.  I also don't get why the system would be expecting a MALE character dsf to be in there for a female character.

What in the heck is going on here?  0o

genesis8 error 20210511.png
262 x 275 - 7K

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846

There are three probable causes of this that I'm aware of

1 - bad parent data in one or more morph DSF files.

2 - bad reference in the scene/subset DUF file.

3 - bad/corrupt database/metadata.

From what you've posted option 3 is the most likely suspect.

• well, if it's 3...  in trying to fix this, I did then go do this...

....but it doesn't seem to have fixed it.  What sorts of things should I do to correct it, if the above approach didn't?  (Mind you, that one described itself as what to do if stuff isn't showing up right in Smart Content... but a web search for what to do with the error I posted pointed me to that video....)

Start DS and open the Content Library tab

Click on it's Options menu

To the bottom of the list you should see "Stop CMS"

Selecting that will open a small popup window

Choose "Fast" and click on OK

The Products and Catagories directories will vanish from the Content Library

Use the Content Library to find one of the problem scene files and load it into DS

If it still creates that error then the issue is either the DUF file or one of the assets being loaded by that DUF file.

If it loads without creating the error then the issue is a corrupt database, and re-importing metadata wont help fix that.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,873
    edited May 2021

Okay, how do I get to my saved scenes from the Content Library?  Usually I open them from Saved Files under Smart Content. ((Pokes around in Content Library.))  Hmmmm...  looks like simply loading one of the characters from ...>People>Genesis 8 Female>Characters yields the same error.

Okay, trying the "Stop CMS" thingy...

Went to load a character (as it happens, one named Africa) again from Characters, with CMS turned off... it took ages, but still gave the error about not finding Genesis8Male.dsf when it finished loading.

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on

£$%^&*

Strangely, a scene preset of a G8F character that I saved out new after the reinstall isn't giving me this error.

^^^^^ This threw me off coarse.

Basically you have option 1, one or more DSF files in G8F's morphs folder has bad parent data.

Do you own and have installed https://www.daz3d.com/child-betsy-and-outfit-for-genesis-8-female, if so uninstall it, if it's inside the 30 days then go get your money back, and complain loudly to management about a complete lack of QA on the product, because even a lobotomized chimp would have spotted that error if it had been through QA.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,873
    edited May 2021

Ah, so it's cute, innocent (?) little Betsy doing this to me.  Bah, I figure they'll fix this issue with her soon enough and push out a fix.  Should I put in a ticket on it to nudge them in that direction?  Presumably if enough people complain, it'll light a fire under their behinds.

And yeah, the saved scenes with her in it were the ones NOT throwing that error.

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on