Why are G8 expressions disabled on G8.1, even though they work fine on G8.1?

vozolgantvozolgant Posts: 207
edited May 2021 in The Commons

So, you can delete these two folders (make sure you backup these folders somewhere before deleting):

• "...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\"
  • "...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\"

and all genesis 8 expressions will then work on genesis 8.1....

Why was G8 expressions disabled from working on G8.1 in the first place, when they work just fine? I'm literally using Genesis 8 expressions on Genesis 8.1 without any problems..... There must be a reason why they disabled it. Does anyone know?

Post edited by vozolgant on

Comments

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

Some things don't work the same, or do the same thing but differently 

All the building blocks for expressions were created anew and some things overlap 

For instance genesis 8 and 8.1 both have mouth smile and mouth smile open morphs - but these morphs look completely different because the 8.1 version was built from scratch with no relation to the 8.0 version

Having 2 smile morphs 2 smile open 2 eyes closed 2 brows up etc etc etc seems kind of messy no?

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    I think it would have been fine if they had just labeled the 8.1 smile and frown differently, so you could tell them apart. What's really messy is having a ton of expressions in your parameters tab that don't work.
  • vozolgantvozolgant Posts: 207
    edited May 2021

j cade said:

All the building blocks for expressions were created anew and some things overlap 

For instance genesis 8 and 8.1 both have mouth smile and mouth smile open morphs - but these morphs look completely different because the 8.1 version was built from scratch with no relation to the 8.0 version

Having 2 smile morphs 2 smile open 2 eyes closed 2 brows up etc etc etc seems kind of messy no?

I see. Hmm. When I dial Mouth Smile 2, I still get a mouth smile, but which morph is it using? 8 or 8.1? Or is it actually using both morphs at the same time, in which you get a double smile strength effect? Anyone know?

Strangely, I'm not getting 2 mouth smile open morphs.

EDIT: looks like this post addresses the two morph same name issue: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/477386/how-to-get-genesis-8-expressions-working-on-genesis-8-1/p1 - the two morphs with the same name can be separated, read that thread, it explains how.

Post edited by vozolgant on
  • SeraSera Posts: 1,675

vozolgant said:

j cade said:

I see. Hmm. When I dial Mouth Smile 2, I still get a mouth smile, but which morph is it using? 8 or 8.1? Or is it actually using both morphs at the same time, in which you get a double smile strength effect? Anyone know?

Strangely, I'm not getting 2 mouth smile open.

This is explained in the update section of the first post in this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/477386/how-to-get-genesis-8-expressions-working-on-genesis-8-1/p1

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

vozolgant said:

Why was G8 expressions disabled from working on G8.1 in the first place, when they work just fine? I'm literally using Genesis 8 expressions on Genesis 8.1 without any problems..... There must be a reason why they disabled it. Does anyone know?

One of the reasons probably is money.

If everything between different generations of figures was compatible, there would be less stuff to have bought to get them working.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,558

I'll pretend to be Richard and jump in and close/merge this thread with the afore-mentioned one LOL. Not that I'd ever want to be a forum mod here... a thankless task if ever there was one.

• ecks201ecks201 Posts: 439

I wish they'd categorize 8 and 8.1 experessions in separate smart content folders automatically. It's wearisome spotting the exact expression you want, then realise that it's an 8.0 expression and you're currently working on an 8.1 model, or vice versa.

I never use smart content so it's a real wild west in DS with 8.1 and expressions. The more expression data you have for G8/8.1 the more insane the list grows longer. How about at least a distinctive standardised colour for all the 8.1 sliders. Guess not.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,333

As (I believe) the first person to actually notice and mention this, I did urge caution at the start because it wasn't apparent why they'd been disabled - whether it caused major compatibility issues, or something else.

In retrospect, my best guess is that officially disabling them removes any requirement for character creators having to create corrective morphs for two sets of expressions. (A particularly tedious area to the point that some character makers already skip it...).

Unfortunately, there's a lot of fall-out, as it leaves a mass of unlinked dial presets that then no longer work.

Your best guess isn't exactly a substitute in the abeyance of any official explanation as to why this was done. We're still waiting for that explanation. With the plethora of character face morphs that don't precisely work with generic G8 expressions, I hardly think that corrective morphs has anything to do with the issue as there aren't any corrective morphs for those. Of course all sorts of speculation and complaints will arise when Daz offers no explantion or common respect to its consumer base by providing one.

• In the absence of any other stated reason that would justify why hundreds of expressions from the previous generation are suddenly "incompatible," I would posit the most likely suspect is quite obvious: Planned obsolescence.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,333
    edited May 2021

fred9803 said:

Your best guess isn't exactly a substitute in the abeyance of any official explanation as to why this was done. We're still waiting for that explanation.

Well, Daz aren't known for being particularly forthcoming about such things, and don't scour the forums constantly answering questions, so the somewhat sarcastic answer is that it's a choice between no explanation at all, or the best guess of someone who picked through the G8.1 package and data files so closely that he worked out how the files were disabled.

With the plethora of character face morphs that don't precisely work with generic G8 expressions, I hardly think that corrective morphs has anything to do with the issue as there aren't any corrective morphs for those.

Like I said, a lot of character makers skip the process entirely (and some really shouldn't), but from Victoria 8's package...

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8Fear_HDLv2.dhdm

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8Fear_HDLv2.dsf

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8Happy_HDLv2.dhdm

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8Happy_HDLv2.dsf

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8LipsPuckerWide_HDLv1.dhdm

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8LipsPuckerWide_HDLv1.dsf

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8NoseWrinkle_HDLv1.dhdm

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8NoseWrinkle_HDLv1.dsf

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8Pain_HDLv2.dhdm

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8Pain_HDLv2.dsf

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8Rage_HDLv2.dhdm

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8Rage_HDLv2.dsf

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8Scream_HDLv2.dhdm

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8Scream_HDLv2.dsf

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8SmileFullFace_HDLv2.dhdm

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8SmileFullFace_HDLv2.dsf

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8SmileOpenFullFace_HDLv2.dhdm

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8SmileOpenFullFace_HDLv2.dsf

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8Wink_HDLv2.dhdm

• /data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Victoria 8/eJCMVictoria8Wink_HDLv2.dsf

Can also be found in Monique 8's package, Charlotte 8's package, Victoria 8.1's package (although now for the new controls)...

... I've not checked every core character, but the majority have JCMs for expressions. There are various things you get when you pay the premium for a core character.

Uthgard said:

In the absence of any other stated reason that would justify why hundreds of expressions from the previous generation are suddenly "incompatible," I would posit the most likely suspect is quite obvious: Planned obsolescence.

That is an explanation I specifically reject, on the basis that otherwise Daz made particular efforts to keep G8.1 back-compatible, and it is a *real* stretch to say that their sales master plan resolves around selling more expression packs.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 872
    edited May 2021

I don't think any of this was a plot to sell more expressions given how G8.1 comes with free facial controls. That interface alone allows, with some elbow grease on the user side, to never worry about spending anything more on expression packs.

My guess is they didn't want to worry about incompatibilities with more extreme character morphs and false positive bug reports from users using G8 expressions on G8.1 base.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • Well, I wanted to reply to you with my reasoning and to clarify my posture, but alas the post has been removed. This action has certainly brought new clarity to me and I now see the error of my ways, by which I mean that maybe I should get off my ass and stop wasting my time with the Daz store.

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 574

certaintree38 said:

I think it would have been fine if they had just labeled the 8.1 smile and frown differently, so you could tell them apart. What's really messy is having a ton of expressions in your parameters tab that don't work.

Exactly this. They could have even kept the same names and added 8.1 after the new ones, like "smile open 8.1."