Best iRAY GPU / CPU

What is the best nVidia GPU available on the market that can handle Iray?
Trying to build a PC that will render Iray and animation fast.
My current PC has an AMD HD 7700/Intel HD 4600 and 16GB RAM.

I'm fine starting again from scratch (or cannibalizing what I have) and have around a $2K budget (if needed)
Thanks in advance

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,472

The best nVidia GPU for Iray is about 1.5 - 2 times your budget in the current market

If you can find a RTX 3060 that has 12GB VRAM, buy one on the spot, I can buy one here in finland for around 500 euro, but that includes 24% VAT.
    16GB's of RAM will probably be the next limiting factor as you should have twice the amount of VRAM in RAM => 32GB's

• JoltrastJoltrast Posts: 199
    edited May 2021

PerttiA said:

The best nVidia GPU for Iray is about 1.5 - 2 times your budget in the current market

If you can find a RTX 3060 that has 12GB VRAM, buy one on the spot, I can buy one here in finland for around 500 euro, but that includes 24% VAT.
    16GB's of RAM will probably be the next limiting factor as you should have twice the amount of VRAM in RAM => 32GB's

I can probably increase that budget if necessary, I was just going off high end gaming PCs on amazon as a ballpark. Most of them are quoting Ryzens of varying types. 
    I'm looking at this website https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ and i'm honestly lost with the options. There seems to be no reasoning to the price differences with the X and WX models for example.

I have no idea what i'm doing here beyond RAM, CPU, GPU and Disc Capacity.
    https://pcbuilder.net/rigs/64DOTn/

Post edited by Joltrast on
  • joegerardijoegerardi Posts: 226

Ryzens are great. If you can afford it, the Ryzen 9 3900X would stand you in good stand for quite a few years. It's a 12 core 24 thread processor, which will probably be able to render the previews in real time.

RAM is your second consideration: the more the merrier. Think minimum of 32Gig is good, 64Gig is better. It sucks when your PC locks up because it ran out of RAM during a render.

Video depends on how deep your pockets are- right now the prices are usurious. But again, more video RAM is preferable, above 6 Gig, which is the minimum I'd go for.

..Joe

• edited May 2021

Is the most important part for the video card really the cuda cores or the RAM on the card? Right now I can't find any of the cards, but say if I can't get an RTX 3090 is is better to get the 3060 than the 3070 or 3080 because it has that 12gbs of RAM? Not sure if I should post a separate question but is there a way to even know how much video card RAM a render will take? Would be nice if it would use the GPU until it runs out then switch rather than CPU only... Planning to get this with the Ryzen 5900X, just not sure it's worth building yet if it's going to be so long for the video card.

Post edited by scullygirl818_02147fecb6 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,862

As long as the scenes fit the CUDA cores count (within a generation, you can't compare counts across generations). However, if the scene doesn't fit then the cores are irrelevant.

• Joltrast said:

What is the best nVidia GPU available on the market that can handle Iray?
    Trying to build a PC that will render Iray and animation fast.
    My current PC has an AMD HD 7700/Intel HD 4600 and 16GB RAM.

I'm fine starting again from scratch (or cannibalizing what I have) and have around a $2K budget (if needed)
    Thanks in advance

RTX 3090.

Everything else isn't worth the price.

3060 have the fewest and slowest cores of the 30 series, [email protected].(~1/3 that of the 3090)

3080's have less than half the ram, 10GB and ~1800 fewer cores.

3060ti and 3070 only have 8GB of ram and roughly 1/2 the cores.

Also, only the 3090 supports Nvlink, so no memory pooling on the others.

Normally i'd start suggesting older used gpus, such as the tesla M40, but the costs have jumped so much, 300% in some cases, it's not worth it.

If it's not an absolutely have to have, as in for work, i'd hold off right now and see how the next few months go.

Given that etherum is getting harder to mine on gpu and ASICs are being produced for it, it's a pretty good bet that the gpu market is going to be flooded with gpus in the next few months(6 or so). Similar to how it went with the 10 series.

Could be wrong, so make your own decision on that one.

• junkjunk Posts: 1,228
    edited May 2021

WHEN IT COMES TO CPU:

Id like to add that most everything in daz studio isn't very multi-threaded optimized.

What I mean by that is if you bring up task manager in windows and watch the CPU, (configured to show all logical cores), you'll see that most everything uses one single core.  Even then it doesn't push it very hard at all.  dForce simulation, auto-fit clothing, animations, loading this or that, etc.  You could have 100 cores and not get much, if any, improvement on speed over a 4 or 6 core CPU.  In fact it will most likely be slower because often the big cored CPU's have slower single core performance.

What seems to make a greater difference in my experience is having a fast single core performance CPU with multiple cores.  In example:  I went from a ryzen 3700x (8 cores) down to a ryzen 5600x (6 cores) with speed improvements in every single aspect in my own personal benchmarks.  No other hardware component were upgraded, just a CPU swap. The reason for this is that the 5600x has about a 15-20% single core improvement over the 3700x where DAZ Studio was designed around.

So no need to spend big bucks on a 12, 16 or 32 core CPU until Daz is optimized to take advantage of it.  It's been how many years and it still isn't.

Post edited by junk on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,862

junk said:

WHEN IT COMES TO CPU:

Id like to add that most everything in daz studio isn't very multi-threaded optimized.

What I mean by that is if you bring up task manager in windows and watch the CPU, (configured to show all logical cores), you'll see that most everything uses one single core.  Even then it doesn't push it very hard at all.  dForce simulation, auto-fit clothing, animations, loading this or that, etc.  You could have 100 cores and not get much, if any, improvement on speed over a 4 or 6 core CPU.  In fact it will most likely be slower because often the big cored CPU's have slower single core performance.

What seems to make a greater difference in my experience is having a fast single core performance CPU with multiple cores.  In example:  I went from a ryzen 3700x (8 cores) down to a ryzen 5600x (6 cores) with speed improvements in every single aspect in my own personal benchmarks.  No other hardware component were upgraded, just a CPU swap. The reason for this is that the 5600x has about a 15-20% single core improvement over the 3700x where DAZ Studio was designed around.

So no need to spend big bucks on a 12, 16 or 32 core CPU until Daz is optimized to take advantage of it.  It's been how many years and it still isn't.

Not every task can be multi-threaded.

• junkjunk Posts: 1,228

Richard Haseltine said:

junk said:

WHEN IT COMES TO CPU:

Not every task can be multi-threaded.

I totally agree Richard which further advances my point that more cores does not mean you'll get a faster work environment or render.  A faster single core performance is going to give you a bigger bang for your buck.  But you still should have four or more cores.

• JoltrastJoltrast Posts: 199

I got a new rig built and so far very happy with it. Thanks averyone!