Overpaint Experiments

Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
edited November 2014 in Art Studio

Started painting over some renders in Photoshop and i'd really appreciate some honest feedback on my initial experiments.
I know quite a few artists use renders as a base for paintings, but I haven't seen anyone try anything very impressionistic...

overpaint4.jpg
720 x 960 - 161K
overpaint3.jpg
720 x 960 - 230K
overpaint2.jpg
720 x 960 - 261K
overpaint1.jpg
720 x 960 - 172K
Post edited by Atticus Bones on

Comments

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

I like what you're doing here, Atticus.

The side-lighting on the Medieval lady and the way you've portrayed that with brush strokes is especially nice. The still life is very painterly and doesn't give the impression that it is over-painting rather than traditional painting... I'd love to see how it looks with a table and cloth. Same for the ballerina, I wonder how she'd look with a hint of a floor beneath her.

• Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Jindi! I really value your insights, not to mention company... Seems like anything outside The Commons is a total ghost town.
    The still life's my favorite so far, i'm considering turning it into a series. Reckon I should reference some actual painters for the project.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,161
    edited December 1969

I agree with Jindi about the table and the floor - that would make a difference.
    Actually I rather like the robot too - it has a nicely anachronistic feel!

edited November 2014

I think my adoration of Ashley Wood is peaking through on the robot study.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

This is something I've dabbled in myself (though because I'm not a painter, generally it's more of a software-generated, simulated-painting sort of thing when I do it). You've got some nice work here! I think the still life is the most effective of these, though the clothing of the medieval lady also came out really well.

edited November 2014

A lot of this is actually "software generated". Filters are responsible for most of the heavy lifting, I just refine with the brush tool.
    I don't really have the time/money to invest in more software atm, but I hear Corel Painter is really good for this kind of workflow.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

A lot of this is actually "software generated". Filters are responsible for most of the heavy lifting, I just refine with the brush tool.
    I don't really have the time/money to invest in more software atm, but I hear Corel Painter is really good for this kind of workflow.

Atticus- don't spend the money on Corel Painter, check out Fotosketch. Free. I mentioned it a couple times (and a couple years ago) in one of my art studio threads but that post is buried lol.

I'm linking to it because even though it is a dot com it is totally free, no strings attached, no harvesting of email. Really cool program, does everything you did in those renders.

http://www.fotosketcher.com/

edited December 1969

Thanks, Novica. I'll download it and have a play.
    Another promising program I've stumbled upon in my research, for those who are interested, is Dynamic Auto-painter (though this one's not free).

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

LOL, we'll never hear from you again. You'll be too busy dabbling and doodling.