My Smart Content Has Disappeared!

I downloaded and installed the update to DAZ Studio a couple of days ago. (Actually, it was the install manager that did it.)

Today I was looking to test out an FBX animation file, so I started a new scene. I went into the Actors,Wardrobes & Props, and clicked on the Smart Content tab to load a copy of Genesis into the blank screen ... and my smart content was gone!

I know the files are all there somewhere, but DAZ Studio won't display any of the smart content in the Smart Content tab.

Worse yet, "Products" and "Categories" no longer work in the Content Library. I used to click on "Products" and get a series of alphabetized list of the different products installed. Now I get nothing. The search doesn't appear to work either.

It all worked fine two days ago before the update.

What can I do to get it working again?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Is this the Beta version or the latest update to DS, what is the version number exactly - Help > About DAZ Studio will tell you.

Normally when this happens, no Smart Content, Products or Categories, it is because CMS has stopped running. Did you install the PostgreSQL from DIM as well, or are you still using Valentina/CMS?

If Valentina, go to All Programs > DAZ 3D and start CMS from there (Content Management Service) All of the missing items use the database to display the content, which requires CMS to be running in Task Manager > Prcosses

• Boingo the ClownBoingo the Clown Posts: 97
    edited December 1969

The update was done by the install manager, so I do not know what actually happened. All I know is I downloaded the freebies that were available a few days ago. In addition to the files I wanted to install, there was also a list of file updates, including an update for DAZ Studio.

It looks like the install manager installed the 32 bit version of DS, whereas I had the 64 bit version installed before. Now I have both versions installed. That might be the problem.

I did try try starting the Content Management Server from Windows explorer. A DOS window (or similar) popped up for a split second and immediately closed.

Is it possible the 32 bit version replaced some files the CMS needed to run, thereby disabling it?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

In DIM search for "PostgreSQL" and see if it's installed (it's available in both 32-bit and 64-bit; if you have a 64-bit OS you only need the 64-bit installed). Let us know if it's installed and we can proceed from there.

edited November 2014

What does DIM stand for?

{{EDIT: DAZ Intallation Manager. I get it.

PostgreSQL CMS (64 bit) is installed

PostgreSQL CMS (32 bit) and PostgreSQL CMS From Valentina CMS Conversion are both uninstalled }}

Post edited by Boingo the Clown on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,826
    edited December 1969

You need only one version of PostgreSQL installed, and the conversion tool is just that - it converts your old Valentina database to PostgreSQL format (as long as it isn't already corrupt). If you hover over the PostgreSQL that was installed in the DIM Installed tab what date does it show for installation? If it was only just done you may just need to try running the conversion tool or, if that doesn't work, telling DS to reimport metadata (assuming you haven't customised it).

edited December 1969

If the database is corrupt, is it possible to rebuild it?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,826
    edited December 1969

If you didn't do any customisation just reimport metadata, which you can do in Valentina or PostgreSQL. If you ddi customise, and didn't export user data, then no. Have you tried converting the Valentina database (PostgreSQL CMS From Valentina CMS Conversion), if the install data indicates that you have only just isntalled PostgreSQL.

edited December 1969

I uninstalled the PostgreSQL stuff and reinstalled it. I found an option that siad "rebuild database", but there was no change.

I have no idea what I am doing, and no idea what is wrong. This is the worst upgrade ever.

Can I uninstall DAZ Studio and reinstall it without losing my scenes and content?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I uninstalled the PostgreSQL stuff and reinstalled it. I found an option that siad "rebuild database", but there was no change.

I have no idea what I am doing, and no idea what is wrong. This is the worst upgrade ever.

Can I uninstall DAZ Studio and reinstall it without losing my scenes and content?

Your database may have been corrupted in the first place, reinstalling DAZ Studio will not affect any content that you have installed, but it wont do any good either.

Did do as suggested by Richard below?

If you didn’t do any customisation just reimport metadata, which you can do in Valentina or PostgreSQL. If you ddi customise, and didn’t export user data, then no. Have you tried converting the Valentina database (PostgreSQL CMS From Valentina CMS Conversion), if the install data indicates that you have only just isntalled PostgreSQL.

If you did not run the conversion program, PostgreSQL will not be able to read the older Valentina/CMS database

If you don't have your own Categories set up, or your content organised in any way, then you have nothing to lose by going to the Content Library pane drop-down menu, select Content DB Maintenance, and in the menu that pops up, tick the box for 'Re-Import Metadata and see if that works.

If that does not fix it, then you may have to use the Reset DataBase option, and try Re-Importing Metadata again.

edited December 1969

Yay! That did it!

Many thanks to you guys for taking the time to help me out.

I send virtual hugs and kisses and hippie new age thoughts to you all. ;-D
    (Translation: I really appreciate the help.)

• RoLoWRoLoW Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

I had the same problem after upgrading to DAZ Studio 4.6.3.52 several days ago. I tried to Reset Database but that didn't work. The corrective action was just what you guys said to do, thanks. For those who are less experienced, I have included step-by-step screenshots to help.

SmartContentMissing-05.png
    1182 x 945 - 406K
    SmartContentMissing-04.png
    1168 x 538 - 108K
    SmartContentMissing-03.png
    936 x 560 - 68K
    SmartContentMissing-02.png
    1180 x 948 - 53K
    SmartContentMissing-01.png
    981 x 869 - 44K