Legal status of Geo-Grafted goodies?

2»

Comments

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,429
    edited December 1969

There's an interesting bit in the new EULA:

Notwithstanding the foregoing, DAZ wishes to encourage user expansion of the catalog of Content available to users. Therefore, User may also access, use, copy, and modify the Content stored on such computers in the creation of one or more derived or additional works provided that:
    1. any derived or additional works are designed to require or encourage the use of Content available through the online DAZ store either by (i) requiring the use of such Content to function, or (ii) allowing only limited function when not used in conjunction with Content from the online DAZ store; and
    2. upon receipt of a written request from DAZ, User will immediately cease any and all distribution of the derived works User has created from the Content licensed from DAZ, if DAZ has determined, at its sole discretion, that (i) the derived work is substantially similar to or is a clone of existing Content; or (ii) the derived work fails to require the use of Content available through the online DAZ store.

I Am Not A Lawyer, but it looks to me like geo-grafted parts would fall firmly into the category of works defined in condition 1.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Notwithstanding the foregoing, DAZ wishes to encourage user expansion of the catalog of Content available to users. Therefore, User may also access, use, copy, and modify the Content stored on such computers in the creation of one or more derived or additional works provided that:
    1. any derived or additional works are designed to require or encourage the use of Content available through the online DAZ store either by (i) requiring the use of such Content to function, or (ii) allowing only limited function when not used in conjunction with Content from the online DAZ store; and
    2. upon receipt of a written request from DAZ, User will immediately cease any and all distribution of the derived works User has created from the Content licensed from DAZ, if DAZ has determined, at its sole discretion, that (i) the derived work is substantially similar to or is a clone of existing Content; or (ii) the derived work fails to require the use of Content available through the online DAZ store.

I Am Not A Lawyer, but it looks to me like geo-grafted parts would fall firmly into the category of works defined in condition 1.

Seems one is encountering that every where today. Not only do the various parts of the website forget that one is signed in; upon signing in, [forums, store, support], all one gets is that page. Hopefully they fix that soon.

So, did you all catch this part?

If User does not agree to the terms of this EULA, please do not select the “Accept” button below or continue User’s purchase, download, or use of any Content. In the case User does not accept this EULA, User must delete any and all previously obtained Content from User’s computer systems and from any backup devices that User may have used.

Oh this begs a few questions. Think I'll go do some uvmapping.

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Noticed that too, yes. Sounds to me like geografting gets a green light, and modeling clothes around the base mesh as well. Still would like a confirmation though, just to be on the safe side.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,429
    edited December 1969

If User does not agree to the terms of this EULA, please do not select the “Accept” button below or continue User’s purchase, download, or use of any Content. In the case User does not accept this EULA, User must delete any and all previously obtained Content from User’s computer systems and from any backup devices that User may have used.

Many people have pointed out that they can't do that. They've said they'll be rewriting that part; I suggest not agreeing until they do.

edited December 1969

Many people have pointed out that they can't do that. They've said they'll be rewriting that part; I suggest not agreeing until they do.

Wonderful. Thanks for the update.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401
    edited February 2013

Wonderful. Thanks for the update.Looks like it's been updated:
    EULA

DAZ Productions, Inc. License Agreement

By accepting this EULA or by downloading or using the software you signify that you have read and agree to all the terms of this license agreement.
    Preamble

This is a legal and binding agreement between you, hereinafter also referred to as “User”, and DAZ Productions, Inc., hereinafter also referred to as “DAZ”. This End User License Agreement (“EULA”) is the agreement that governs User’s use of software, applications, images, figures, models, 3D mesh, geometry, systems, information, documentation, and the like (“Content”) obtained, consumed, or interacted with via User’s online DAZ store account. User’s current and continued purchase, access, download, and/or use of Content, is contingent upon User’s acceptance of this EULA.

User hereby indicates User’s complete and unconditional acceptance of all the terms and conditions of this EULA. This EULA constitutes the complete agreement between User and DAZ with regard to end-user license of Content except in the case User has a version of the EULA signed by both parties, in which case the signed agreement supersedes. This EULA supersedes and replaces any license agreement that was or will be presented at the time of content installation.

The online DAZ store offers for sale a license to Content owned by DAZ and/or a license to Content owned by 3rd-party published artists (“PA”). In this EULA, “DAZ Content” shall refer to content owned solely by DAZ; “PA Content” shall refer to content owned solely by a 3rd-party published artist; and “Content” shall refer to both DAZ Content and PA Content inclusively.

It no longer says anything about having to delete existing content. The only "interesting" thing it says is the bolded statement. I guess it means that if we accept, this agreement then replaces our old one, though it no longer says that if we don't we can't use our old content anymore.

Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
    edited December 1969

... edit ...
    It no longer says anything about having to delete existing content. The only "interesting" thing it says is the bolded statement. I guess it means that if we accept, this agreement then replaces our old one, though it no longer says that if we don't we can't use our old content anymore.

Yes it supersedes the old agreements which in this case is GOOD. The new agreement permits more usage as in the 3D printing stuff.

And for those who may have not noticed, check out the Freebies pages ... the cave people skins and MilDragon2 are there!

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

O.K....

I was half right.

Now I see what Richard was referring to with the polygon loop.

Geo-Grafting done as a product to be sold through DAZ seems the way to go. Don't think I'll bother with any freebies, but I now have some ideas I think I will try to get into the store.

Thank you, blondie...

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited February 2013

what does "geo-grafted" mean?

Post edited by Sertorial on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    what does "geo-grafted" mean?

Geo-grafting...geometry grafting. Adding or replacing part of the geometry (mesh) with a new 'part'.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Noticed that too, yes. Sounds to me like geografting gets a green light, and modeling clothes around the base mesh as well. Still would like a confirmation though, just to be on the safe side.

Yes, that is the intent of the section - as long as the item is an add-on for Genesis (or whatever figure it attaches to) then you do not need to seek prior approval, though DAZ does reserve the right to object and require removal if they judge that the terms are not met. Sorry it took me a while to get this confirmed - I did send an email, but then forgot to chase up for a reply.

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Richard. :)

edited December 1969

Yes thank you Richard :-)

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited February 2013

So this section is specifically to address Geo-grafting? I wasn't sure about this text as it appeared on the surface that if one made clothing, etc... and a similar item came out in the store, even after ... DAZ could insist the item you made discontinued from distribution, free or paid. That would not be something I would want to agree to.

I may be misinterpreting this, but I would want to make sure because the potential downside could be very limiting as an artist.

Yes, that is the intent of the section - as long as the item is an add-on for Genesis (or whatever figure it attaches to) then you do not need to seek prior approval, though DAZ does reserve the right to object and require removal if they judge that the terms are not met. Sorry it took me a while to get this confirmed - I did send an email, but then forgot to chase up for a reply.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on