Genres You'd Like to See in the Store?

Daz_JessicaDaz_Jessica Posts: 155
edited April 2021 in The Commons

We're contemplating adding a few more genres to the store and would love your thoughts.  The current genres are Contemporary, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Toon, Historial, Horror, Eastern, Gothic, Anime, Steampunk/Victorian, Super Heroes, High Seas and Egyptian

• First, do you find genres helpful and do you use them?
  • Second, would you find it helpful to have the following genres (they may be labeled differently if selected), please let me know which 1 or 2 you would find most helpful:
    • Black Characters & Culture
    • Latin Characters & Culture
    • Indian Characters & Culture
    • LGBTQ Characters & Culture
    • Mediterranean or Ancient Greece
  • Third, any genres we are missing that you'd like to see?

* Please note, this is a question on genres and store features, not politics.

genres.jpg
607 x 299 - 34K
Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818

no

your gender or physical feaures are irrelevent

(I would love to say more but ..)

better filtering for base products and texture addons would be more useful

• Pantros2Pantros2 Posts: 74

Culture and time period - and well researched, not hollywood cultural assumptions. Everything doesn't need to be able to be prefixed with 'sexy'. The PAs are going to create sexy, whether you ask them to or not because it sells, but sexy isn't always better.

Better to be very specific with your cultures - too broad and you're probably being racist.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114

1) I think we need better tagging. Also, put back "Required Products" on product pages.

2) I don't think such a category is a good idea. Mostly because it'll leave out many other groups of people and be very limiting. Plus, there's a lot of crossover when it comes to identity. (Like Black characters can be US American, European, African, and even Latin American, for example.) Being LGBTQ is more than just Pride.

3) I think a general "Holidays" and "Romance" category would be good. Christmas, Halloween, Valentine's Day, have come to mind in regards to "Holidays." A lot of users like to make holiday-themed cards, so this would make it easier to find. As for Romance, what came to mind was stuff you'd see on romance novel covers. Even stuff that's barely allowed to be sold here, because it's too sexy.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited April 2021

Much Much less use of Merchant Resources in characters; I get fed up of buying them repeatedly - so much, I've slowed down considerably. I can make my own.

You have an 8.1 UV, it was considered important enough to include, yet you accept characters classed as 8.1 without it - and don't care enough to hightlight its absence. Better quality control.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,474

WendyLuvsCatz said:

no

Better filtering for everything, like ability to filter out products that are only textures or poses

• As I understand it this is about genres for filtering, not chnages to the prsent or future content itself. Which entries in the genres drop down would you like to see added?

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

I do not find any of the filters suggested in the OP particulartly useful for me. I would rather have these filters:

- do not show PC+ items (as in, ability to not show them at all)

- only show items I own (useful for browsing specific vendors with many products and recalling what do I have already)

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,344

Daz_Jessica said:

• First, do you find genres helpful and do you use them? 

Only occasionally, as the problem is that there's a lot of overlap between things. Sometimes a fantasy outfit is perfect for the right sci-fi setting. Sometimes a contemporary outfit is bizarre high fashion that's not at all appropriate for the scene or character in question.

I think what most of us would find massively more useful is a filter for the type of content. While your store does have categories to this effect across the top bar, the top bar can't be used to filter a specific sale - the same kind of "50% off Select Daz Originals" type offer that's running today, with over ten thousand items.

As your store clearly already has database entries to this effect (icons are shown under each product thumbnail telling the user whether it is poses, animations, hair, clothing, character, prop, etc), allowing users to filter by that information would be *hugely* appreciated.

• Second, would you find it helpful to have the following genres (they may be labeled differently if selected), please let me know which 1 or 2 you would find most helpful:
      • Black Characters & Culture
      • Latin Characters & Culture
      • Indian Characters & Culture
      • LGBTQ Characters & Culture
      • Mediterranean or Ancient Greece

I think they'd be useful if they were all options, but as far as picking only one or two, I'm not sure I could legitimately argue that any category there is sufficiently more meritorious. I'd also potentially add "East Asian" as an option (because "Asians" in general is hopelessly broadly, also including South Asian ethnicities and cultures like India) - but it's a very notable ethnic group that's missing from those options.

If I had a gun to my head, I'd say LGBTQ as a first choice (even if you never once render an LGBTQ character, things like non-binary morphs/skins are excellent assets for creating family resemblances between male and female characters), and Indian as a second choice (because that's the most common non-Caucasian ethnicity in the UK, so is most personally useful to me).

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,474

Richard Haseltine said:

As I understand it this is about genres for filtering, not chnages to the prsent or future content itself. Which entries in the genres drop down would you like to see added?

The problem is that, even the current genres are not giving the results one would expect.

If I would be looking for 19th century everyday items/clothing/hair, "Victorian/Steampunk" gives mostly stuff that doesn't fit and "Historical" includes even stuff from the seventies... Having lived my teenage years in the seventies, I wouldn't categorize it as "Historical"

• edited April 2021

At my site, we hold competitions where we specifically focus on race and culture from time to time because we want to encourage people to be more diverse. But we don't have categories in regard to art based on race or culture. In relation to selling products, you're going to have people who will specifically go to certain categories and ignore all the rest. Thus, the very categories you're creating for the sake of diversity may be excluded completely where now you will see them intermixed with all the rest... a cultural melting pot where people are more likely to look and to buy items they see. You're asking for trouble if you categorize your marketplace like this as there's a difference between diversity and stupidity... you just have to figure it out for yourself in some cases and if you want to learn the hard way when it's quite easy to see where this will go wrong, have at it.

Post edited by armorbeast_165ba105a9 on
  • mr clammr clam Posts: 707

It would be so much more useful to have filters based on item type (poses, figures, wardrobe, etc.) than on ethnicity (which would be worthless). Put this genre idea on the backburner and add features that are actually useful. Or better yet, get the store fuctioning well before adding new stuff. Nobody's gonna eat the frosting if the cake is made of sawdust.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I think the more categories the better. Things can have multiple categories as well.

I would love the ability to tag items. 

Example: when looking for a cowboy outfit,  I search cowboy, and western, and it completely overlooks some cowboy western content, like the outlaw outfit, simply because there is no good keyword search.

Of the categories you are asking:

I would love LGBTQ

Roman

Seasonal 

Holiday

Senior

Chinese

Pets

Also I'd really like to see 

Parenting/family life. so poses with family and kids, children etc.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

no

Yes! I would love to be able to search for only hair, or exclude hair for example.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,376

Hey @DAZ_Jessica, thanks for checking in with the customer base on this! My 2 cents are:

1) Yes I use the genre filters sometimes, but I don't find them particularly useful the way they are. As others said, they are just too broad and overlapping. If one's looking for Edwardian style clothing, it's rather tiring having to sift through all periods from the beginning of time, which are all classified as 'historical'.
    2) I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of ethnic genres, aren't we all agreed that there is no such thing as race in humans?  Concerning LGBTQ, I'm also not really sure how this could be a genre without being stereotypical and discriminatory in itself. For instance, how are you gonna depict a gay man as gay so he fits into this category? Have him dress up in drag or what? The category in itself basically implies that you can filter (indeed) gay or queer or trans people from others in any meaningful way, which is, frankly, a rather scary idea. - Having said that, maybe a non-binary category would we useful instead, as this would open up more options for characters without stereotyping.

3) Like others, I would just love to have simple filters like 'dresses', 'pants', 'long hair', 'updo' ... Along with the ability, also mentioned already, to filter within selections like DOs or PC, or when sale selections come up. I don't put myself through sifting through hundreds of pages anymore, I just use the browser add-on and filter by wishlisted items, because it's just not doable otherwise. But it's a pity because I feel I might be missing out on some sweet things just because I can't search for them in any meaningful way.

Cheers, Tina

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635

Yes, genres are useful.

I think more 'sub-genres' would be handy to narrow a search:

E.g.

Sci-fi: Cyberpunk

Sci-Fi: Space

Historical: Ancient Rome+Greece

Historical: 1920's+30's

(I know there'll be overlap there (products that fit more than one sub-genre) and disagreement over whether Roman and Greek should go together (but there are often ambiguous products))

Feel free to add/edit/delete as needed.

1. No.
    2. None of these would be helpful unless the tagging for items is Drastically improved.
    3. No, but a filter to either include or exclude Texture sets and Poses would be helpful for me. 
  • ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413
    edited April 2021

o

Post edited by ANGELREAPER1972 on
  • margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    edited April 2021

Please allow us to filter by environments/props/vehicles, please.

Daz keeps putting eighty bajillion PA stores on sale for March Madness, but all we can filter by are Genesis-related products. Sometimes I just want to see if there are any good environments. However, the prospect of wading through hundreds of figures, hair, and outfits to find them just makes me shut down without even looking.

EDIT:

I rarely use genres anyway, since I mainly stick to stuff that's on sale. But if you had to twist my arm, I'd say using geographical regions would be better than ethnicities. What does "black culture" mean, urban contemporary or windswept savannahs? Better to have a "Contemporary" category and an "African-themed" category than to try and mash them together under one banner.

Post edited by margrave on
  • Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,425

I would love to see a Holiday option.  And then perhaps maybe some more regions, like Africa or Asia, but I'm thinking more for enviroments, props and outfits, not characters.  The characters are more like "actors", they can be made to fit into many different cultures, depending on what we need them for.

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554

watchdog79 said:

- only show items I own (useful for browsing specific vendors with many products and recalling what do I have already)

I second this, the main reason I use the Daz deals plugin.

Also, exposing the tags on a product as clickable links that take you to a page of products with the same tag would be a useful way of filtering.

• Genres: Historical with sub category: Ancient/Classical/Dark Ages/Mediaeval/17thC/18thC/Victorian/Early20thC/Mid20thC/1960's/1970's etc

LGBTQ etc: No. LGBTQ people are ordinary people, not a category. To ghettoise by category is to reverse all the efforts towards acceptance in recent years.

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 478

mr clam said:

It would be so much more useful to have filters based on item type (poses, figures, wardrobe, etc.) than on ethnicity (which would be worthless).

This.  It gets so frustrating wading through pages and pages of poses and texture packs when I'm looking to browse characters, clothing and props.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    edited April 2021

I'd like to be able to filter for G8 and contemporary without excluding all the props and environments. If I filter for contemporary only, I get a ton of content for other generations. If I filter for G8, the props and environments I might be interested in go out the window.

A tagging system would also be useful. I had the hardest time finding a black skin tone similar to one on the cover of a book I was mimicking. A tagging system might have helped me with that. This would also help people looking for Indian characters, tan characters, short women, whatever. The possibilities are endless. I don't want filters and genres eliminated, just search by tag added. You should be able to narrow or widen your search results by adding tags ("it must include all tags selected, or must include any one of tags selected")

Post edited by Sera on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited April 2021

Well I think those Cultures listed are appropriate for clothing. For instance it could do with an English and German and other categories for clothing.

To use those country/culture categories for humans is too nebulous though, I would only list caucasoid, negroid, and mongoloid or the white, black, yellow monikers if marketers felt the scientific technical terms for the 3 races was too obscure for more people. There needs to be a mixed race as a 4th category. Oh, and an Alien or Outer Space type Aliens category! Needs to be animals, legendary, toon, real, and 'antropophomized' is what I think they call it.

There needs to be centuries. There need to be geographies.

You know what would really be need is DAZ made a StoreUI that used a century time line and a mercator projection of the earth and we would click on the year timeline and select the yeear, (month and date option) that would update the earth map to the country borders for that year and then when we clicked on a country on that map we'd be given a choice then to choose male, female, age, get a listing of all the characters, clothing, hair, or other products. Likewise for buildings and furniture. Likewise for vehicles. Likewise from botany, animals, and land/sea scapes.

Such a Store UI would be very intuitive to navigate and could be integrated in DAZ Studio to navigate our local DAZ Content Library as well.

It would really require being fastious with requards to assigning all the appropriate metadata tags for the different categories above to get those map UIs to work like that should though. It's not hard work but it is time consuming.

However, consider the customer that can't find the product isn't going to buy the product. Need I say more? That's what DAZ 3D's business is all about after all.  

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • sidsid Posts: 399

jjmainor said:

mr clam said:

It would be so much more useful to have filters based on item type (poses, figures, wardrobe, etc.) than on ethnicity (which would be worthless).

This.  It gets so frustrating wading through pages and pages of poses and texture packs when I'm looking to browse characters, clothing and props.

This is the only feature I really want. I'm ony ever looking for animals or figures and would love to narrow the sales to these

• Daz_JessicaDaz_Jessica Posts: 155

sid said:

jjmainor said:

mr clam said:

This is the only feature I really want. I'm ony ever looking for animals or figures and would love to narrow the sales to these

This is incredibly helpful information. Thank you.  Customers on the forums will sometimes say they wished the store functioned better, but don't give me tangible changes that would make their life & browsing the store better, but these do and we can absolutely work on this.  Thanks again for the great ideas! 

• markgoode77markgoode77 Posts: 343

How about:

• Works
    • Doesn't work
  • Daz_JessicaDaz_Jessica Posts: 155

tsroemi said:

Hey @DAZ_Jessica, thanks for checking in with the customer base on this! My 2 cents are:

1) Yes I use the genre filters sometimes, but I don't find them particularly useful the way they are. As others said, they are just too broad and overlapping. If one's looking for Edwardian style clothing, it's rather tiring having to sift through all periods from the beginning of time, which are all classified as 'historical'.
    2) I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of ethnic genres, aren't we all agreed that there is no such thing as race in humans?  Concerning LGBTQ, I'm also not really sure how this could be a genre without being stereotypical and discriminatory in itself. For instance, how are you gonna depict a gay man as gay so he fits into this category? Have him dress up in drag or what? The category in itself basically implies that you can filter (indeed) gay or queer or trans people from others in any meaningful way, which is, frankly, a rather scary idea. - Having said that, maybe a non-binary category would we useful instead, as this would open up more options for characters without stereotyping.

3) Like others, I would just love to have simple filters like 'dresses', 'pants', 'long hair', 'updo' ... Along with the ability, also mentioned already, to filter within selections like DOs or PC, or when sale selections come up. I don't put myself through sifting through hundreds of pages anymore, I just use the browser add-on and filter by wishlisted items, because it's just not doable otherwise. But it's a pity because I feel I might be missing out on some sweet things just because I can't search for them in any meaningful way.

Cheers, Tina

On #2 - Thank you for the thoughtful commentary.  My intention is to give customers a way to find content like pride flags, transgender morphs, Torment 8.1, etc. I think your non-binary genre is a great way to accomplish this goal and removes the stereotyping that might otherwise be inherent. 

#3 - Much appreciate this feedback as it's very actionable for us.  Not promising that we can do it... but I think we might be able to. 

• Props

Hair

Clothing

Lights

Environments

Utilities

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,344

Honestly, a lot could be learned from the features of Daz Deals.

One of the features there is one that shows add-ons for products you already have - if I'm buying an outfit that's on sale, but the texture set isn't, these days I try to remember to wishlist the textures for later, but if I forget to do that (or before I did that), it is often permanently forgotten, as it's very hard to find without that.

It'd be nice if that could be implemented alongside a category filter - my experience with the Daz Deals implementation is that it usually ends up dominated by "So-and-so For Victoria 8" characters or anything that uses the base figure head/body morphs, and while there's nothing wrong with those in particular, an extra V8 based character doesn't add to her as much as a texture set can make an outfit more useful, so being able to filter down by "texture sets" would be useful.

What I've heard from PAs is that texture sets are often one of the worst sellers, and while I don't think a feature like that would make them an amazing seller, it would have to improve things.