Are there any Bryce 7 Mac benchmark tests?

Hello friends, after many years i came back to my beloved Bryce. At the moment i use a Imac 27 12.2 with Intel Core i7, 3.4 Ghz with OS 10.6.8.

I would like to speed the Bryce rendering up, so i think about a MacPro alternative, a Apple Mac Pro 5,1 2009 12-Core 3.46GHz. Does it makes

sense, will it increase the render time? Or is it better to work with network render?

Thank you for your comments and thoughts. Joe

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

You will not be able to use Bryce on any machine that has a higher OS x  than 10.6.   

• Hello Chohole,

yes i know that´s why i use 10.6.8 on my Imac - Bryce 7 works fine. I would use the MacPro with 10.6.8 too. But does it makes sense - is it much faster with the 12 cores?

• Chohole said:

You will not be able to use Bryce on any machine that has a higher OS x  than 10.6.   

Yes i know, that´s why i use 10.6.8 on my Imac with Bryce 7, it works fine. The question is if a MacPro with 12 cores would be much faster than the Imac (Both with 10.6.8)?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2021

I am not teccy enough to be able to answer that,  Hopefully one of our Mac users will see this thread.  Richard (Haseltine)  has just said that  there's probably a limit to how many threads a 32 bit application could handle, due to the limits on data management. If the application is multi-threaded then each thread can use a core,  but he is not a Bryce user.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Somewhere here i read "Both raytracers use only the CPU but can use several cores. At the time, we were told that it is limited to 8 cores."

So that is only for PC? The original Bryce was for Mac and PC.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119

From a PC point of view: yes, Bryce 7.1 can officially use up to 8 CPU cores/threads, though I've seen my i9 CPU using all 16.

• Horo said:

From a PC point of view: yes, Bryce 7.1 can officially use up to 8 CPU cores/threads, though I've seen my i9 CPU using all 16.

Thanks Horo, it seems its better to switch to PC for Bryce 7.1. I´m an absolute Mac enthusiast and really have no PC experience, any suggestions or tips for a Bryce PC Render Station?

Intel I9, 16 Cores, how much RAM? Windows 10?