Drag in Scene Panel to Parent?

ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
edited December 1969 in New Users

Sometimes I can drag an item in the Scene Panel onto another to change its parent...and sometimes I can't.. I drag the item, but rather than the item I want to be the parent highlights..nothing happens.

I haven't figured out a rhyme or reason why it works sometime and not others...

Anyone have thoughts?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Are these 'Props' that you are trying to Parent to body parts?

That is what parenting is for usually, to parent, say, a gun to a figure's right hand, so that when the figure moves, the gun move with him/her. The same applies to other props, like swords, canes, hats, sunglasses etc etc.

If you select the item that you want to parent in the Scene pane, then right click on that item in the viewport, then you will see a drop-down menu. There you can 'change parent' or 'Fit .... To' depending on what kind of item it is. Use change parent for props as mentioned above, but use Fit To for conforming clothing.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

Sometimes, things load onto a character inside the characters ...tree?.

Sometimes, they load outside..they're parented, but they're just floating around the scene tab.

My question isn't "Why to parent"

It's "WHY CAN SOMETIME YOU DRAG TO PARENT AND SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO USE THE MENU?"

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

The drag issue sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't get it to happen on command. I'm thinking that sometimes when you drag, it doesn't work, but the workaround was to just click something (I'm not sure if it was to click the item you wanted to drag, or click some other random item in the scene then try the drag again). I wish I could make it happen right now so I can say for sure, but try clicking other things then trying the drag again next time it happens to you and let me know if that works.

As for the items that are parented, but are floating around the scene tab outside the tree, can you provide a screenshot? I often try to parent something, look at it and for a moment think it is below outside the tree, when in fact it is not. I'll try to parent it again, it still looks the same, then I'll look closer and realize it's actually correct and just looks lined up oddly due to the indentation of the nodes above it. You are probably seeing something else, but I mention this anyway because this happens to me constantly, so it might be what you saw too.