What happened to the satin, silk and velvet freebies?

Does anyone know what happened to the free satin/silk and velvet shaders that were available at Share Cg a while back? I have changed computers since then so I wanted to redownload them. But now I can't find them. They were so great and I used to use them all the time.....

Comments

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2021

If they were by AllenArt, she took down most of her freebies for some personal reason and has not reuploaded them.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • SeraSera Posts: 1,675

That's too bad. Thanks for the info. 

• kwanniekwannie Posts: 865

I know Catherine3678ab had links to many different shaders that I was hoping to download also but she seemed to disappear also, not sure if she is the one that had the satin shaders.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,853

no, two different people but similar reasons 

choosy beggars criticising their stuffs

WendyLuvsCatz said:

no, two different people but similar reasons 

choosy beggars criticising their stuffs

That's awful! Those were great freebies. crying 

• I am so sorry Catherine took it all so personally.

When it comes to it, if someone is so unpleasant as to gripe about a freebie, they are probably the sort of person whose opinion one can disregard. If, instead, they had offered a comment as to something that could be better, then that's potentially to everyone's benefit. But, there can be a fine line between the two, and depending on which side of the bed the commentor and recipient got up that day, a comment may be expressed and/or recieved the wrong way one day and not another. It can be hard to get the balance right. But, I have to admit, there are some genuinely unpleasant people around whom no reasonable people would want to put up with.

Regards,

Richard.

yeah the nasty ones are the most vocal as I know from YouTube commenters

I have 31K subscribers but I got mostly nasty comments, the 'likes" vastly outnumber "dislikes" and comments so know they are the minority

but the loudest angry

I just disabled comments and rating on all my videos now and said why on the community page 

and that got lots of "likes" too from the quiet supporters I make my videos for.

this is what people need to realise, look at downloads and ratings not comments!

Yeah, I would disable the comments too. Is that possible on Sharecg?
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Rather belatedly moving this thread as it is a discussion about missing freebies, not an offer of a freebie.

• StoicStoic Posts: 131

Rather belatedly moving this thread as it is a discussion about missing freebies, not an offer of a freebie.

Speaking of missing freebies, Chohole's Space no longer loads on Windows Edge or Safari.

Is that a bug or has the site been shut down?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Stoic said:

Speaking of missing freebies, Chohole's Space no longer loads on Windows Edge or Safari.

My site was hosted by Kendall Sears,  who, unfortunately  passed away suddenly last Summer. Just to make things worse my son, who was my webmaster, had a DD drive failure, and lost the complete back-up for the site.  Kendall's daughter was going to try finding the back up which Kendall maintained,  but I guess she has a lot of other stuff on her plate as well.

Chohole said:

Stoic said:

My site was hosted by Kendall Sears,  who, unfortunately  passed away suddenly last Summer. Just to make things worse my son, who was my webmaster, had a DD drive failure, and lost the complete back-up for the site.  Kendall's daughter was going to try finding the back up which Kendall maintained,  but I guess she has a lot of other stuff on her plate as well.

crying 

• StoicStoic Posts: 131

Sorry to hear that, & my belated condolences to the Sears family.

• WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

certaintree38 said:

Does anyone know what happened to the free satin/silk and velvet shaders that were available at Share Cg a while back? I have changed computers since then so I wanted to redownload them. But now I can't find them. They were so great and I used to use them all the time.....

I don't know of a freebie including those. But this relative cheap (if PC+)  set includes a couple of those:

https://www.daz3d.com/essential-iray-shaders

edited March 2021

Wolfwood said:

certaintree38 said:

I don't know of a freebie including those. But this relative cheap (if PC+)  set includes a couple of those:

https://www.daz3d.com/essential-iray-shaders

My gripe with many paid for fabric shaders is that they might come in a few colors, but the color itself comes from a base color map, not the base color next to it. So If I want to lighten the color, or tweak it somehow, I am limited in my options. Maybe there is a reason for doing this. Maybe it helps to preserve detail or something. I do still buy fabric shaders, and I use them a lot (so thank you for the recommendation). But one of the reasons why I loved these freebies is they came in many colors and I could also easily color them to my own liking. They were really great! Man... If Allenart wanted to charge me $4 for those shaders right now, I would buy them in an instant. 

Post edited by Sera on
  • cathan01_wwg1wgacathan01_wwg1wga Posts: 353
    edited March 2021

Vanishing Point offers fabric shader freebies for daz studio IRAY (download links redirect to Mooncraft 3D Art): https://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freestuff.asp?ClassificationID=58

You can also find many free iray fabric shaders in Renderosity's Free Stuff.

Post edited by cathan01_wwg1wga on