exporting a Boolean object into Daz Studio

I have created a boolean object in bryce but when I export it and import it into Daz Studio I am loosing the Boolean interaction.  It is a simple model consisting of two rocks.  The smaller slightly intersects the larger and using the boolean effect I create a "depression" or carved out area of the larger rock.  When I import this into Daz however I just get one rock stacked on top of the other.  How do I export the boolean and then import it without loosing the effect?

Comments

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911

chriswrcg said:

I have created a boolean object in bryce but when I export it and import it into Daz Studio I am loosing the Boolean interaction.  It is a simple model consisting of two rocks.  The smaller slightly intersects the larger and using the boolean effect I create a "depression" or carved out area of the larger rock.  When I import this into Daz however I just get one rock stacked on top of the other.  How do I export the boolean and then import it without loosing the effect?

Before exporting, you need to convert the boolean object to a mesh.
    The mesh density of the selected object is adjusted at the bottom right of the interface. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited May 2021

Wow, I am always surprised, how useful and powerful is Bryce for creating different items usable in the other programs.

I recently has discovered the possibility of exporting booleans from Bryce (thanks to @Georgehaze)

Below is an example render from Daz Studio of boolean objects created in Bryce.

BoolTest02sc03pic05.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 469K
    Post edited by Artini on

Slepalex said:

chriswrcg said:

The mesh density of the selected object is adjusted at the bottom right of the interface. 

I could not find the adjustment of the mesh density - could you please elaborate a bit more about it. Thanks.

Artini said:

Slepalex said:

chriswrcg said:

I could not find the adjustment of the mesh density - could you please elaborate a bit more about it. Thanks.

First you have to give boolean properties to all objects in the group (positive, negative or intersection). Then convert it to mesh. Before converting a boolean object to a mesh, you must select it. The mesh density of the selected object depends on these settings. The maximum mesh density value is 128. See screenshot. If you set the mesh density to 8, then you will have a very low poly object after exporting to OBJ or 3ds and importing into any program.
    You should choose a middle ground between the smoothness of the object and its "weight" in polygons.

01.jpg
    243 x 189 - 13K

Here are two re-exported objects in Bryce. The first object has a grid value of 128 before the conversion. The second object has a value of 8. In the background is the converted object from the negative and positive spheres. In the foreground is an object exported to OBJ and imported to Bryce. I deliberately disabled anti-aliasing so that the edges of the mesh are visible (the "E" icon on the selected object).
    Fig. 1 is the mesh density of 128. The object has 34200 polygons.
    Fig. 2 is the density of the mesh 8. The object has 116 polygons.
    Your task is to find the optimal solution.

mesh1rehder.jpg
    800 x 600 - 284K
    mesh2render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 278K

Thanks a lot for the explanation. These boolean operations are very cool and useful for many different things.

• I simply love boolean modeling in Bryce.  But the export is not of very good quality.  The below was modeled entirely in bryce booleans.

Tugboat - Karla Ann

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750

bjorn.lovoll, Very nice model, well done.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

Nicely done model, bjorn.lovoll.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956

bjorn.lovoll - awesome modeling

Once upon a time, I was also actively involved in modeling in Bryce.
    These objects in the pictures were modeled in Corel Bryce 5 around 2007.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

Great modeling skills, Slepalex.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956

Awesome, great modeling skills Slepalex, the textures you used to are excellent., both renders are outstanding.