Complete Noob Question

TrishaTrisha Posts: 86
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

Hi,

I don't know much about rendering animations in Daz, could anyone tell me if daz renders in high definition?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2012

You can choose what resolution to render at, so yes you can render in hi def. However this will take substantially longer than lower resolutions. If you are considering daz for animations I would look up some tutorials on how to optimize speed. Changing settings of materials, lights and transparencies can greatly improve render times.

Personally I'm scared to render animations on my rig, it would take a week to do a 60 second HD animation!

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited December 1969

Hi,

I don't know much about rendering animations in Daz, could anyone tell me if daz renders in high definition?

Thanks in advance

Rendering is the biggest draw back when it comes to using daz studio for animations. first get a big graphic card with lots of memory for graphics that will help the most.

But anyway, here is a web site that may prove useful. its uses a older version of daz studio but the settings are pretty much the same and it will give you a good idea what setting to play with to speed up render times. good luck

http://rubicondigital.host22.com/index.php/articles/poserdazstudio/4-optimising-render-settings-in-daz-studio

I hope that helps.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Rendering is the biggest draw back when it comes to using daz studio for animations. first get a big graphic card with lots of memory for graphics that will help the most.

No, it won't! 3Delight does not utilise the graphics card at all.

• KageRyuKageRyu Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Unless using a version of reality that supports parallel processing, and a Graphics Card that does the same (which are currently few and don't all work with DS4+ at the moment), this is inaccurate. The Graphics Card will help with faster and better previews displays in the actual program, and will not affect actual render times in any way.
    For fast rendering times it is Processor and memory that is paramount. Lots of memory for large scenes with lots of content and image maps (these days I say no less than 12gb of RAM minimum), and a good hearty multi-core processor (quadcore or hexcore I say - unless you can afford a decacore Xeon, then your golden). Even with a fast processor, if you have insufficient memory, or your windows memory settings are too low, your render times will be brough tto a crawl by windows hammering the swap file off your HD instead of RAM.
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited December 1969

Well for one I don't use 3dlight for rendering animation and haven't for a while.. So I guess there my mistake I also use daz3 advance for rendering animation which does use OpenGL for rendering and my GPU is 4.2 on a plain-Jane i7 3.0 ghz machine. with a Nvida GTX graphic card with 4 gigs of ram and is smoking fast on rendering animation. I use Reality 2.0 for stills . i tried to use it in animation it blurred the frames.
    I forgot new users are on Daz4. Sorry about that! I can't render animation with daz 4. But still graphics are great.

• TrishaTrisha Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

Hi,

Thanks in advance

But anyway, here is a web site that may prove useful. its uses a older version of daz studio but the settings are pretty much the same and it will give you a good idea what setting to play with to speed up render times. good luck

http://rubicondigital.host22.com/index.php/articles/poserdazstudio/4-optimising-render-settings-in-daz-studio

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the link, it is very helpful :)

• TrishaTrisha Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the help everyone :) I'm a little closer to understanding things now :D

• KageRyuKageRyu Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I also use daz3 advance for rendering animation which does use OpenGL for rendering and my GPU is 4.2 on a plain-Jane i7 3.0 ghz machine.

Open GL is not a full render and is not ray traced. It's quality is limited. Even Older versions of Daz3D have an option to render to OGL, and this is really in the same quality levels as rendering out to Poser's Preview mode in it's older version, or doing a quick Preview mode or OGL animatic in more advanced 3D software. I think this is where confusion is occouring, in unfamiliarity in the differences in rendering vs Open GL as well as in terminology.

Yes, a faster graphics card will allow faster Open GL Drawing but this will never produce the higher calibre results of ray tracing using even 3Dlight or advanced 3Dlight scripted settings, or firefly medium and high quality, or a full ray tracing application such as Lightwave or the Reality plugin for Daz Studio. The later ones will not benefit from a Graphics Card's power unless the card and program both support parallel processing (as Reality does, and Lightwave 11 does).

However, if Open GL quality is sufficient, then a good graphics card will definately give a significant performance boost.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2012

currently a graphic card does not play a role in 3delight rendering but for Studios interface navigation responsiveness it's indispensable.
    If you're curious about realty 2.0 it's on sale here
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/reality-2-for-daz-studio/92598
    And while it's great to have a dozen cores at your disposal on one computer Reality uses LuxRender which is not only free, it supports network rendering so you can use your home networked computers to assist in calculating your renders. Reality is IMHO the best thing to ever come out for Daz Studio and the support is top notch.

Post edited by StratDragon on