website error - Join the Community ad won't go anyway

hjakehjake Posts: 813
edited March 2021 in The Commons

Even after I login I keep getting a pop-up which pressing the "x" will not close.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?

2021-03-11_095025.jpg
1047 x 396 - 89K
Post edited by hjake on

Comments

• Romulus71Romulus71 Posts: 142

I have not

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,146

Me too and it was hard to get rid of it. 

• hjakehjake Posts: 813

refreshing every page after it loads does get rid of it.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,744

Resistance is futile. You WILL be assimilated.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,243

Is the "newsletter" something other than the daily sales advertisement?

edited March 2021

Holy crow  ... it is still happening  ...... no

having to reload EVERY page to get rid of it is very annoying.

i submitted a request to DAZ technical support

2021-03-12_123929.jpg
    1055 x 1045 - 174K
    Post edited by hjake on
  • Daz_cpageDaz_cpage Posts: 19

Well thats not good at all. Can you give me some info on your system? OS? Browser?

Also the newsletter is ultimately the sales email so if you are registerred you already get it and should not be fighting the popup. 

• PraxisPraxis Posts: 241

This is really annoying!

Every time I Login I have to first dismiss this "Join the Community" nonsense before the Login button can be used.

This should instead be an option in the Account Profile that can be turned off once and for all.  And people who are not Registered should not be harrassed by it each time they encounter a Login page (or why not harrass them each time they visit the Shop page as well?).

I expect this happens because I have my browser set to automatically clear all Cookies between each session.  I will not be changing this setup.

Windows 7 Pro 64, Firefox v80.0.1

DAZ, please fix this.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

I fired up Chrome and got this popup.  I normally use MS Edge, and it doesn't happen there.

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 368

I have Firefox 86 in Linux Mint Mate and Cinnamon 19.3. The popup appears, of course, when I'm not logged in. I understand the purpose of it, but why is it necessary for it to block a person's viewing of important parts of the page? Sometimes it appears more than once, on several different pages, making it irritating and ruining my, "mood" shall we say?
    It should either be embedded in a fixed part of the page or have it pop up off to the side enough that it doesn't interfere with the parts that we naturally will be concentrating on... Oh, I see. Stop a person's workflow or information-gathering in order to force their attention on the ad? I can't believe that sells anything.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

The terms Nagware and Adware come to mind. But hey, what can you do?

• Use an ad-blocker.

edited March 2021

zombietaggerung said:

Use an ad-blocker.

Thank you for the suggestion. uBlock Origin does not block it and I am not interested in investing the time necessary to try all the various add-ons and permutations to just deal with one website coding error on one of my favorite sites.

My main complaint is that the website should recognize that I am logged in and stop having the ad pop-up.  In addition, I can't even click the "x" on the ad to get rid of it. I have to reload the page.

I did receive a reply from DAZ to my support ticket about 2 hours after I submitted it. They said they would look into it. I also gave them the link to this forum so they could see I am not the only complainant.

Unfortunately, it seems by the replies in this thread, only a couple of people are having this problem therefore this will have a very low priority for DAZ. Only the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Please reply in this thread if you are having this problem.

Post edited by hjake on
    edited March 2021

Daz_cpage said:

Well thats not good at all. Can you give me some info on your system? OS? Browser?

Also the newsletter is ultimately the sales email so if you are registerred you already get it and should not be fighting the popup. 

Sorry, I did not see your posting before my previous posting.

Win 10 (64-bit), Firefox 86 on both my tablet and desktop. It appears even after I have logged in.

I do receive promotional emails from DAZ everyday.

Post edited by hjake on
  • hjake said:

zombietaggerung said:

Use an ad-blocker.

Thank you for the suggestion. uBlock Origin does not block it and I am not interested in investing the time necessary to try all the various add-ons and permutations to just deal with one website coding error on one of my favorite sites.

My main complaint is that the website should recognize that I am logged in and stop having the ad pop-up.  In addition, I can't even click the "x" on the ad to get rid of it. I have to reload the page.

I did receive a reply from DAZ to my support ticket about 2 hours after I submitted it. They said they would look into it. I also gave them the link to this forum so they could see I am not the only complainant.

Unfortunately, it seems by the replies in this thread, only a couple of people are having this problem therefore this will have a very low priority for DAZ. Only the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Please reply in this thread if you are having this problem.

I also use uBlock Origin and I don't see this unless I'm not logged in. I am however using Chrome. Perhaps this has something to do with Firefox? Just a suggestion.

• AelinAelin Posts: 111
    edited March 2021

I feel that popup just agressive by the character they used for- really, a warrior? Feel like if site just want to agress me. And I like to look the site when non logged before to log later in the day. With that ridiculous popup it's no more possible. I guess I'll just stop to come almost each day.

Praxis said:

This is really annoying!

Every time I Login I have to first dismiss this "Join the Community" nonsense before the Login button can be used.

This should instead be an option in the Account Profile that can be turned off once and for all.  And people who are not Registered should not be harrassed by it each time they encounter a Login page (or why not harrass them each time they visit the Shop page as well?).

I expect this happens because I have my browser set to automatically clear all Cookies between each session.  I will not be changing this setup.

Windows 7 Pro 64, Firefox v80.0.1

DAZ, please fix this.

Praxis, just to be sure, I didn't clean my caches or cookies since yesterday. The popup is here today... So it's not a question of clean or not.

fred9803 said:

The terms Nagware and Adware come to mind. But hey, what can you do?

I can't find better terms yes

Oh, by the way, I have ablock, and that can't prevent I see the stupid thing.

Post edited by Aelin on

zombietaggerung said:

hjake said:

zombietaggerung said:

Use an ad-blocker.

I also use uBlock Origin and I don't see this unless I'm not logged in. I am however using Chrome. Perhaps this has something to do with Firefox? Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback. Based on that information you have provided, I checked my privacy settings and they are set to standard with everything set to clear when I exit Firefox. I am not interest in switching to Edge, Chrome, Waterfox, Palemoon, or Vivaldi to visit DAZ. So I am at a loss to think of what user side solutions exist.

Firefox is not an unknown or rarely used browser. DAZ should be checking web display on Edge, Safari, Firefox, and Chrome before any rollout on the their website. As far as I can tell these represent at least 90% of the web browsers visiting DAZ's site. This current problem irk's me because of all the DAZ website issues I experienced with their most recent website transition. Those problems went on for an inordinately long time.

just logged in to DAZ store and now the "x" on the pop up banner works. Hurray. You see it on initial log in then you can dismiss it.

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 368
    edited March 2021

I just want to stress that I don't mind ads as long as they don't block what I'm in the middle of reading or studying on a web page. A banner along the top or bottom would be no problem. Lots of flashing lights, naked women, whatever.
    Just PLEASE don't start doing this "Hey you, stop what you're doing" nonsense. PLEASE!

Editing later: Hmm, I thought the 'naked women' comment would attract attention. Guess I'm not cut out for the ad business. So maybe I'm wrong in general.
    Carry on with the irritating popups, fellas! You must know what you're doing!

Post edited by NotAnArtist on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,630

zombietaggerung said:

Use an ad-blocker.

..as long as they don't use anti advert blocking software like many news sites dfo these days.  

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited March 2021

Sometimes it pops up, sometimes it does not ...

When not logged in, it does, which is understandable (if annoying).

After logging in it sometimes shows on a page when I am going through the forum, the next page it doesn't, the fourth page it shows up again. Who thought this is a good idea?

Windows 10 Professional, Firefox 86.0.1

Post edited by Kerya on

Kerya said:

Sometimes it pops up, sometimes it does not ...

When not logged in, it does, which is understandable (if annoying).

After logging in it sometimes shows on a page when I am going through the forum, the next page it doesn't, the fourth page it shows up again. Who thought this is a good idea?

Windows 10 Professional, Firefox 86.0.1

It shows up when after a 20 second pause once I have logged in. So far, if I click the "x" on the pop-up it seems to go away and not return. I agree that people who have  logged in should not have to deal with this pop-up. Also Windows 10 Professional, Firefox 86.0.1

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Well. It was gone for some time. I surfed somewhere else on the internet.

Then I got an email that you responded to this thread and clicked the link in the email. Do you want to guess what is showing up in the lower right corner of the screen?

I AM SUBSCRIBED! Sorry for shouting - I am not shouting at you, I am shouting at my screen/Daz... not that that helps. Sigh!

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

• I got sick and tired of seeing this crap so I got rid of it using Element Blocker. Hasn't come back so far. I saw where it was said that this problem would have a low priority for DAZ. Well, maybe if more people reacted to this crap it would stop. Actions have consequences! I'm old and live on Social Security so I don't much extra money to spend on products for rendering, just Christmas and birthday presents that come in a green form. Their action caused me to spend what little I have at another location and not with them. So I'll continue this until the action they took ends. I know that my small responce won't hurt them enough, but if others did the same then the priority level of this issue might change.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    Sevrin said:

lol :D

• Unavoidable on macOS 11.2.3 using Safari 14.0.3.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938

for once I don't experience an issue on Safari on iOS laugh

I have plenty other DAZ website issues, but not this one cheeky

Unfortunately the original problem has come back and the way I rid of the pop-up is by placing an email address from the internet in the box and accept terms.

This situation is disappointing. I hope they find a fix or disable the feature until they find a better solution.

I will re-open my support ticket on this issue.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676
    edited March 2021

Firefox + ublock origin, so far I have only seen the popup thingie once. I think it was before I had logged in. Normally I never shut down my computer or completely close my browser ever. So I do not need to log in very often.

Post edited by TheKD on