Gothic City... because Gotham is a trademarked name... SALE...commercial

AntManAntMan Posts: 2,024
edited December 1969 in Daz PA Commercial Products

It's true, Gotham has been Trademarked by Warner Bros. so I was unable to use that name. But hey what's in a name. it's the vibe and the feel of the place I was going for. This set has a ton of really nice angles to shoot from to create the most interesting renders. Side walls that can be easily hidden to get just the right view and lots of perches for a hero to leap from. One click opens the entire set with lights ready to render so you can spend more time having fun.

Pop5.jpg
2000 x 1538 - 2M

Comments

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    edited December 1969

The GCPD (presumably Gothic City Police Dept) building reminds me very strongly of the Police Building at 240 Centre Street in New York. It's a cut-down version, clearly, but the doors and windows and general shape are pretty close. I suspect this is not an accident.

Pity it doesn't have the amazing cupola and symbolic statues that are on top of the real Police Building (a former police station converted to yuppie condos).

I'm tempted to buy the set just for sentimental reasons (I used to work just across the street from the building).

• AntManAntMan Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

They made apartments out of that! OMG. I use to work at Pearl Paint on Canal. Wow I did not know that was even possible. Crazy.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

If this does well enough will you turn it into one of your mini lines?

I really want to get it but am a little short on money, how long will it be on sale?

edited December 1969

I sort of set it up so that I can continue the set with the intention of doing that. I hope it does well It's really fun to do this sort of stuff on my end.
    As for the sale I am guessing the standard but there is an additional % here that even I don't know when may expire.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited December 1969

I sort of set it up so that I can continue the set with the intention of doing that. I hope it does well It's really fun to do this sort of stuff on my end.

Well, I'm just one customer but I snapped it up pretty quick and will do the same with any others you put out.

It's absolutely gorgeous, thanks for making it.

-- Walt Sterdan

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    edited October 2014

Very Tim Burton, and I snapped it up immediately too. I also hope it does well for you, because I'd love to see more like this, and because you are very cool and you deserve lots of money. :cheese:

Post edited by DestinysGarden on
    edited December 1969

I love the way you think. : )

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited October 2014

Warner Brothers really trademarked the name? Does NYC, which acquired the nickname over TWO CENTURIES AGO, now have to pay them royalties? Really distinctive work. Thank you.

Post edited by nobody1954 on
  • pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited December 1969

Marvel really trademarked the name?
    REALLY amazing, since all the comics were DC.
    edited December 1969

Not Marvel, Warner Bros. which is the parent company of D.C. comics secured the trademark, "Gotham City". It has been an ongoing battle for a long time. D.C. comics had tried and failed but since the movie company had more money they kept at it. They claimed they had a movie based on the city in development, may have ended up as the T.V. show which is on now.?

The nickname is indeed an old one, I know it was used by Washington Irving in his writing. I didn't need anyone looking for fight looking my way so I changed the title, but still was able to keep the initials the same. NY city was/is I am sure not to happy to find they would be limited in using there own nickname by some California lawyer.

But Hey we can still have fun and make cool art so I say put up the "Rat" symbol! : )

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    edited December 1969

The Gotham TV show has been pretty good thus far.

And i'll echo this:

I also hope it does well for you, because I'd love to see more like this, and because you are very cool and you deserve lots of money.

support your local neighborhood PA, so s/he can keep doing what they're doing!

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited December 1969

If "Gotham City" is the trademark, then New York City is free to use "Gotham" to their heart's content. So are you, unless New York has a trademark on that.

As far as I know, no one has ever referred to New York City as "Gotham City". It is always just "Gotham".

edited December 1969

Well I'm not sure. I did a prop of the Hollywood sign and DAZ let me know that the city of LA had trademarked the sign so they could not broker it. I'm working on a work around.

But it's that gray area that crazy lawsuits come from and who needs the headache if you can avoid it I say.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited December 1969

But it's that gray area that crazy lawsuits come from and who needs the headache if you can avoid it I say.

Totally agree.

My favourite crazy Trademark is the joint trademarking of "superhero" (and I believe the various iterations such as "superheroes" and I think "super-heroes") by Marvel and DC back in the 70s.

-- Walt Sterdan

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

I picked it up real quick. I really like the look and hope that there are expansions. In a way, it reminded me of some of the areas in the DC Universe Online game. If you were to base some future products on any of those areas, I would be interested in them as well. ;)

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

So...lots of folks here don't seem to know what "Trademark" is. It's literally a "Mark" used in trade.

Walt mentioned "Superhero". Yes, Marvel and DC have a joint trademark...anyone can use the word..but not in a title, a brand, an ad...

Interestingly, DC's trademark doesn't seem to actually cover comics, TV, or computer games...

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: TOYS AND SPORTING GOODS, NAMELY, GAMES AND PLAYTHINGS - NAMELY, ACTION FIGURES AND ACCESSORIES THEREFOR; TOY VEHICLES; DOLLS; [ FLYING DISCS; HAND-HELD FOR PLAYING ELECTRONIC GAMES; ] EQUIPMENT SOLD AS A UNIT FOR PLAYING A BOARD GAME, A MANIPULATIVE GAME, A PARLOR GAME AND AN ACTION TYPE TARGET GAME. FIRST USE: 20031200. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20031200

(Also interestingly, someone else holds the trademark for using "gotham city" for DJ services)

Of course, it's not far to go that a building that as DestinyGarden said is Very Tim Burton, with the letters GCPD on it for Gotham City Police Department would be easily seen as "inspired by" if not "derived from" which is all the VERY litigious IP folks at WB would need.

edited December 1969

That's why it's "Gothic City Police Department", so I can put G.C. on all sorts of things without looking over my shoulder while sleeping with one eye open.

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Well I'm not sure. I did a prop of the Hollywood sign and DAZ let me know that the city of LA had trademarked the sign so they could not broker it. I'm working on a work around.

You write the programs/scripts/whatever "hill generator" and "sign generator". You can't help it if people like hill preset 31 and seem to be fond of typing "HOLLYWOOD" into the sign generator.
  • wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Would you be hurt if I said I don't find your new city to be very "gothic"?

More like "industrial" meets "steam punk". Gothic always seems to invoke spires and other architectural insanity from roughly 1000-1800 to me. Once the industrial revolution got going, it was all over.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

One thing that's kept me from purchasing this is that I see no aerial view nor an untextured aerial view to tell me how large this set is. Can you please post some renders like that AF?

Thanks

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Very nice model, now all you need is Man Bat, The Adolescent Wonder and the Jester running amok.

edited December 1969

wiz, I just put the non hollywood version of the prop over to daz for testing. It loads blank with A-Z letters so you can write what you want and if it happens to be a famous cities name...

I thought that one was BS since the town didn't conceive that sign that was some guy who did that and they hated it when he put it up. Now it serves them, they want ownership. And Washington Irving called NY Gotham which was a long time ago. The Comics guys came up with it from going through the yellow pages and seeing a bunch of places using the Gotham term. Gotham cleaners and so on. Companies have ownership issues sure but you know there are still Gotham city grills and strip clubs out there. Unless you are some how costing them money or defaming there product they are not likely to even know you exist. I've worked for D.C Comics and Marvel for over 20 years and I have an idea of what is and isn't an actionable threat. That being said I still didn't walk up and punch them in the eye with it.

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    One thing that's kept me from purchasing this is that I see no aerial view nor an untextured aerial view to tell me how large this set is. Can you please post some renders like that AF?

Thanks

Here is a quicky ariel view. I set my background to white instead of my prefered black so you could see it better.

It's got great detail and lighting, however, I find the camera angles to be limited because it's not fully enclosed My hope is it will sell well enough that Antfarm will come out with an addon that sits across from this set and makes it a more complete environment. In all honestly, I often won't buy sets like this if my camera angles are limited due to it not being a full environment but this one looked so good I went against my usual practices.

gc_aerial.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 285K
    edited December 1969

It's always a hard choice to decide to do a set as a shoe box view like this or a Village square type four walls open top. And there is always the long running wall like a strip mall. I think that's why the idea of modular sets is so appealing. With me I don't want to just repeat a brick wall I want it to have more character. That means more work and more cost in the end though.

So yes I too want to add on to the set. I had planed a Tunnel , T intersection or turn that could be added to each side. I also want do a opposing street set, the water works or something with big bolts and pipes that could extend across the street. And thanks for posting the over head shot.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Thanks. I'll add that to the cart then and hope AF does do more with this. Nice setting!

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

It's always a hard choice to decide to do a set as a shoe box view like this or a Village square type four walls open top. And there is always the long running wall like a strip mall. I think that's why the idea of modular sets is so appealing. With me I don't want to just repeat a brick wall I want it to have more character. That means more work and more cost in the end though.

So yes I too want to add on to the set. I had planed a Tunnel , T intersection or turn that could be added to each side. I also want do a opposing street set, the water works or something with big bolts and pipes that could extend across the street. And thanks for posting the over head shot.

I wasn't implying anything about your work, just commenting on why I usually hold off on sets without a 360 degree environment. This set is beautiful and I'm very excited about those planned add-ons!

Now I just need to find some Gothic style interiors! Police stations in particular seem to be in short supply which is surprising to me!

edited December 1969

NO I am totally up for input. I'm always interested in what works and what folks are looking for. If it's something real horrible people can PM me from the thread, but other than that I take most input as input and not as any thing negative.

Part of my situation is I am always trying to put out products with a price point well south of $20. I could do bigger sets but I never know if I will be pricing people out. But like I said no worries.

• MJ007MJ007 Posts: 1,679

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but is this no longer available?  I thought I purchased this, but i could find the actual product name, but even after finding this thread, i still dont see it my purchases or the store.

Please advise.

-MJ

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,759
    edited January 2023

Interesting.  It's still listed in the wiki http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/20242/start but the product itself appears to be gone... it might be a temporary pull to resolve some technical issue, but given its age and this thread's statement for the reason that the name was originally changed, it's status seems questionable... 

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited January 2023

hmmm AntFarm is no longer listed as a vendor so maybe  he pulled his stuff .

Post edited by carrie58 on