Brand spanking newbie with two questions

anirishwritanirishwrit Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I do have a monster system to handle intense After Effects and Maya renders, but Daz seems very, uneasily slow. I've heard that's a big draw back. Anyway I can speed it up!? I know I can adjust shadows, etc... but if you want what you get, I'd rather not change any of those settings...? Or does that matter in the overall look in the final render when you adjust those default settings in the render panel. I made a very basic portrait, no background and it was taking at least 9 hours - that's a bit ridiculous... and it wasn't even finished rendering. HELP!

And... how can we preview an image before we render. What's on the screen is different than the render.

Sorry for the most basic of questions!

Comments

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

I do have a monster system to handle intense After Effects and Maya renders, but Daz seems very, uneasily slow. I've heard that's a big draw back. Anyway I can speed it up!? I know I can adjust shadows, etc... but if you want what you get, I'd rather not change any of those settings...? Or does that matter in the overall look in the final render when you adjust those default settings in the render panel. I made a very basic portrait, no background and it was taking at least 9 hours - that's a bit ridiculous... and it wasn't even finished rendering. HELP!
    Adjusting your light settings can make a big difference. Raytraced shadows take a long time, especially in combination with transparency mapped objects (such as most hair made in the past five years or so). You may also want to experiment with the raytracing depth setting in the render panel.

And... how can we preview an image before we render. What's on the screen is different than the render.

What's on the screen is the best quick full-area preview available. You can preview how parts of the image will look with your render settings using the Spot Render tool.
  • anirishwritanirishwrit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much! I'll give it a try... I'd like to find a comprehensive range of Daz video tuts... aside from YouTube, or wherever the best one's are to get me rolling... Any good suggestions so I can hit the ground running!?

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited July 2012

9 hour final renders wouldn't be unreasonable for many of us, but render time is very heavily dependent on the scene. The image I was working on earlier today was an 8 hour render, that had 2xGenesis, 1xDavid 3, a physical environment, plus skydome and lighting. It's only the fact that I brought in Uberenvironment lighting at one of its more intensive modes for the final render that pushed it up to that duration, without uberenvironment it was barely 30 minutes and looking at it again I suspect I can cut down the duration significantly as it's not actually the lighting setup I expected. That's with a 2.67GHz Core i7 with 6 Gig of RAM.

9 hours for a simple scene sounds excessive.
    Post edited by DWG on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,385
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much! I'll give it a try... I'd like to find a comprehensive range of Daz video tuts... aside from YouTube, or wherever the best one's are to get me rolling... Any good suggestions so I can hit the ground running!?

First off, welcome to the forums. There are several knowledgeable members here that do many tutorials. Sadly most of them aren't grouped together so it takes a bit of searching. The DAZ Studio forum does have some tutorials stickied on the front page if you want to check any of them out. I've found the biggest thing that affects render time is Raytrace and AO settings. You are going to have a lot longer lenders if you have a lot of things that have trans maps.