textures and materials

sag39sag39 Posts: 5
edited December 1969 in New Users

Can anyone explain why, although they download, I can't use the textures and materials that come with free downloads from Wilmap? I am using the free version of Daz and am very much a beginner.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio is free, the current version is DS 4.6.3.52. What version are you using?

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Insufficient data to process your query at this time. What items from Wilmap, do you have a link?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

When you say " I can’t use the textures and materials", do you mean when you select your clothing object in the Scene pane, and then you double-click them in the Content Library and nothing happens, or they generate error messages at that point, or they appear to apply but incorrectly, or you can't find them in your content library, or something else?

Note that materials that are for a specific figure (as opposed to shader-based materials that can be applied to anything) won't (or shouldn't) work on a different figure, so if you accidentally have your figure selected instead of clothing, or the wrong article of clothing selected, it won't work.

• sag39sag39 Posts: 5
    edited October 2014

I have the current version of Daz free.
    I have downloaded Wilmap's blouse and pants for the Genesis2 female. The clothing will load onto the figure but the materials will not. A box appears very briefly but not enough time to read it.
    I've just been messing around and clicked on something which said create a custom action and now the material has applied. Not sure if that's what has done it but at least I can now see that it is possible. I shall have to play further.
    Many thanks to those who have taken the trouble to help.

Post edited by sag39 on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Any time that you get a brief error message that you cannot read, go to Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File, and there should be more information in there.

I suspect that the clothing item was not selected in the Scene pane at the time that you tried to apply the material. You MUST select the item that the material is made for first, then apply the material from the content library pane.

edited December 1969

Thanks SO much. I did what you said and hey presto! Thanks also for the info. about the log file. The only thing now is should I do anything about the custom action I created?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You don't need to worry about the Custom Action, it just sits in the Scripts menu, you can ignore it.

edited December 1969

Thanks for that.:-)