The animal obvious

BraincellsBraincells Posts: 42
edited October 2014 in Product Suggestions

:-) I mean really? Do I have to state the obvious that we really thirst for a mesh wielding hero who can whip up the DAZ DOG 2 with morphs ranging from the Modern Family pet (French Bulldog), Men's best friend (German Shepard) to Handbag Hero (Chihuahua)?

C'on, my purse is open, my add-ons are ticked for the wish list, do it already!! Who are we without our animal cohabitants? You quickly gave us life-like Genesis updates, big cats and horses, but who would fork out for the clumsy looking Millennium Dogs now? Make us happy as our daily friends do. A whole new market awaits you!

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2014

Poll Removed. Please take note of the DAZ 3D Forum ToS, bullet point #17. Thanks.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,684
    edited December 1969

Woah, a lot of polling seems to be going on lately...

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,311
    edited December 1969

I'm with Consensio on this one. You can never have too many dogs.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

I want the dog so bad. Especially chihuahuas since I love them. Hopefully whoever designs dog 2 does not give the flat hoof-like paws like the big cat.

• EmotionalOutlet3DEmotionalOutlet3D Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

The Millennium dog is 10 years old. If it were a real dog it would be getting close to "crossing over the rainbow bridge" (a euphemism I actually hate) but since it is commonly used you get the drift. Time to think about getting a new dog.....

Seriously though despite being "man's best friend" the dog seems to be totally ignored in the 3D world. Dogs are a popular subject in more mainstream art but if you look at the DAZ Gallery there might be 3-4 renders listed with dogs? Perhaps because it is so difficult to work with the Mill Dog?

It would be nice to see the DOG updated and perhaps offered on a breed or group basis. Some people might want a Lab, a Chihuahua, a French Bulldog, Beagle or a Greyhound. There are 493 recognised dog breeds worldwide all with different structures and personalities so that could offer a fair opportunity for spin offs in morphs, hair and poses. Anyway a new dog is always on my wish list ... :)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

I think dogs would be used more if they were more realistic. Nothing worse than the diffciult to pose fake flat fur mil dog. I use him occasionally, but he looks toon-y.

Mil cat is used more often. Perhaps because it is smaller it looks somewhat better in renders.

Both models could use an update. I'm honestly a bit surprised the big cat came out before house cat and dog. I'd use the house cat and dog more often.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

Yeah.. the new big cat looks good but I'd have much preferred a house cat model first.. on a good note, after doing the first two quadrupeds hopefully they will have ironed out the kinks and the dog and house cat will be awesome? One can hope..

• EmotionalOutlet3DEmotionalOutlet3D Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

I think dogs would be used more if they were more realistic. Nothing worse than the diffciult to pose fake flat fur mil dog. I use him occasionally, but he looks toon-y.

Both models could use an update. I'm honestly a bit surprised the big cat came out before house cat and dog. .

Not to mention DAZ Dragon 3 - many want photorealistic in 3D but when was the last time you saw a dragon walk down the street on the leash? :)

It is not only the fur textures that are an issue - the dog itself is a structural disaster. I've been showing and breeding dogs for 35 years and I've also been publishing a magazine on dog art for 7 years and I can tell you dogs are not built that way which makes it is almost impossible to put it in a realistic pose.

Well I downloaded a bunch of fur brushes last night so time to start trying to paint fur on a dog and see if I can come up with something more realistic. :(

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206
    edited December 1969

About the fur, I wanted to say that I've been impressed with AM's fur suit on the "Ursus Arctos" bear, see sample rendering. The bear's paws in particular are a real improvement on older models such as the Mildog's feet; quick rendering attached.

To Serene Night - that's right. I actually signed in to type about something else -- models of music like notes and treble clefs and sharps and things (imagine the possibilities!) but dogs are real important, yeah.

Re: the chihuahua breed, did you know that DAZ's Lorez dog has a chihuahua morph... lacking anything better at the moment I often use this model as a stand-in for artwork that I do of my real world small terrier; here's a quickie render of what the chihuahua sort of looks like. Next step is to figure out LAMH... I agree that the paws need a bit of work.

Roman, Toronto

chihuahua-quick-render.jpg
    800 x 933 - 60K
    ursus.jpg
    862 x 933 - 133K