February 2021 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge - Lighting and Light Effects

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

vamok said:

Question: Is there a way to change the scale on a shader. I applied a leather shader to the seats (apparently it also went onto the dash) and it is way too big.

It depends on the shader used, but you might be able to change the tiling.

• Leana said:

vamok said:

Question: Is there a way to change the scale on a shader. I applied a leather shader to the seats (apparently it also went onto the dash) and it is way too big.

It depends on the shader used, but you might be able to change the tiling.

@vamok, it also depends on if the dash and the seats are the same surface.  If they are you'll have to do some geomatry editing to sepperate them. 

• Here's a start for a second idea. Ment to post it sooner, but yesterday was weird, I was mentaly a day ahead of when it actualy was becase I took Sunday off due to the wind chill I would have had to try to walk in being bellow 0.  I was not even going to risk the chance of getting frostbite if I could avoid it.

feb2021-2a.png
    800 x 1294 - 2M
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826

This is version  3 of my image. I have added speakers and a shelf with CD player.  I have also moved the blue light so that it falls on one of the speakers.

• vamokvamok Posts: 238

Taken - Version C

Intermediate challenge

Suggestions?

Taken - Version C.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 703
    edited February 2021

Thanks for the advice Linwelly. Version 3: Reduced the gloss on the ground and added some grass at the front. Also fixed the poke through on the boy's shoes.

Campfire Stories5.png
    1440 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on

Thank you for your input Shinji Ikari 9th and Leana. I will have to follow up on your advice. In the meantime, I threw money at it and bought the Iray texture pack for the car.

Also, thank you to Tirick for helping me figure out the UFO light problem on my other render and Linwelly for her suggestion of adding the beam.

This is what I love most about these competitons, the accelerated learning curve and the camaraderie!

• csaacsaa Posts: 812
    edited February 2021

Intermediate Challenge:

"Light Effects"

Title: "Luminescent Dancer"

Daz Studio 4.15 - Two gobo patterns (on face and on the back), a bunch of gel lights; G8F figure and a sphere with custom glass shader. Photoshop - Hue and contrast enhancements.

Had fun working on this challenge, in spite of the power outtages that made the file upload difficult.

Stay safe everyone.

Cheers!

-- Dennis

SaphiraBinahMat01_cam01-1200px.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 294K
    Post edited by csaa on
  • Alias52Alias52 Posts: 284

Kina's Folly

Intermediate Challenge

Couldn't really get motivated on this challenge this month. I have produced lots playing with lights/lighting but I wanted to push again. Going to need to tweak the Gobos, as it was more of a test of the effect and looking to improve it.

Test Kina Mage Light.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 3M

A Bad End to Date Night - Version D

Beginner Challenge

I think version D stands for done. Unless it is not :-)

A bad end to date night version d.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited February 2021

Thanks again, Linwelly. Point lights were looking a little funny in the helmet, so I tried a couple of mesh lights instead and that seems to help. Also added a white light under the walkway, but now it looks darker under there? Not sure why that's happening. Will try again with a different light.

Alarm Bells Ringing5.png
    1200 x 1440 - 3M
    edited February 2021

Version 4: redid the light underneath the grill and it seems to be working now. 

Alarm Bells Ringing8.png
    1200 x 1440 - 3M
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,232
    edited February 2021

DAZ 3D New User Challenge:

Title DAD

Kids yelling Dad put some clothes on.

In use are Face Tranfer Unlimited and Face Tranfers shapes. Gen 8 Male using Holt 8 Mats. Facial Hair and Short Hair for Genesis 8 Male. Basic wear. Platinum Pack One - 16k HDRIs for Iray

main1.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 5M
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,232
    edited February 2021

My second if you can do 2.

Wild West. 

Being polite to a passerby is might neighborly.

In use In use are Face Tranfer Unlimited and Face Tranfers shapes. dForce Low Bang Hair for Genesis 8.  Sawyer For Holt 8 just stash. 

Platinum Pack One - 16k HDRIs for Iray. dForce Low Bang Hair for Genesis 8 Eli for Holt 8 skin

WildWest.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 414
    edited February 2021

Still working on re-working my first entry, haha more difficult than I thought it would be...but here is my second entry. Trying to case a bit of a shape with the lighting.

Title: Higher Heart

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Intermediate

Lighting Challenge 3_edited.png
    2000 x 2000 - 7M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

@katywhite  I think you need a greater intensity to your ligh, if you want the outer parts to be darker you could try vignetting which you can find in the tonemapping

edited February 2021

@AgitatedRiot yes you can work with two images for the challenge. I like the HDRI for this challenge but I would like to suggest and additional light coming from the left side of the camera lighting up the shadowed side of his face just a bit more. What I do in this situation is make a small plane (1m^2) and set it up to face that side of the character, make it emissive with a grey bluish tint and a light temperature in the 6500K and make it about 500 kcd/m^2 strong

It seems the first one you worked on seems not have uploaded to the post

Post edited by Linwelly on
    edited February 2021

@vamokm I really like how that image A Bad End to Date Night - Version D turned out, very good!

about the ufo, that beam turned out very good, maybe you can widen it up a bit more so the girl will be engulfed fully in the beam

Post edited by Linwelly on

@Alias52  Magic is always a great thing to experiment on light effects. Maybe try experimenting with bloom settings for this one

@dmcvocationm  This is a very interesting concept, I like it very much! And out of curiosity I would love to see the scene setup for this one, I think we could all learn something from that

I hope your power will be more stable now!

@sueyam  Lovely image and light effect mayb try for some DOF on the dancers?

@Shinji Ikari 9th  very colourful light settings. Maybe check maybe the settings of you grid, that seems to reflect the shape of your character

• Aki3dAki3d Posts: 142
    edited February 2021

Intermediate Challenge:

"Light Effects" Daz Studio

Underwater Caustics

This is the final version of my second picture.

I added some depth, light beams and particles.

caustics 2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Aki3d on
    edited February 2021

Linwelly said:

katywhite said:

Title: Night Fairy

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Intermediate

Showing the presence of another in the room without actually showing directly in the scene itself. Feedback is appreciated!

This is a very interresting idea and I'm looking forward to see how with evolves. In the moment it's not getting clear what that shadow is, so maybe pulling out the camera a bit more might help (without showing the figure) and propably it will be easier to see what the shadow is when it lands on an even surface instead of the sushions which distort it further (thinking of those movies where you see the shadow of an attacker that mostly moves along a wall / flat surface) I think the green light is a bit extreme for as long as the observer doesn't know why the setting is lit in green.

@aki3d @Linwelly

Thank you both for your feedback!

Had a few interesting challenges with this one. I couldn't pull the camera back at all or else the hidden figure could be seen in the actual scene. I did however increase the contrast with the lighting and changed the background to a flatter surface. I also changed the angle a bit to try add a bit more drama and had her hand cast a bit of a shadow over her face. Her eyes were actually open already in the original but this angle it is more obvious.

Night Fairy 3.png
    2000 x 2000 - 5M
    edited February 2021

For some reason my post wouldn't load and now it loaded several times but without my attachment. And now I realize I can only edit not delete so those with authority if you could delete any of my posts that just say delete I'd highly appreciate it :)

@katywhite  for you image to stay in the post you need to make it an attachment and keep the attachment even after you posted it inside your post. With the gallery back up it should work as a link form the gallery as well but for the time being I would prefer you all add your images as attachments, it would be a pity if we can't see them

edited February 2021

Hello, I would like to know how all of you have put your images together with the text. I could not figure out how it works. Using the image link button, I need an url, but the url of the attached picture I get just after posting the comment and than I can't change the text to add the url.

Post edited by Aki3d on

@aki3d  gahhhhh please don't shout at me

*recovers herself from a pool of ooze on the floor* here you go:

once you have posted your comment with your image attached open the image from the attachment to another tab

collect the graphic adress from the image by right clicking on it and selecting the corresponding chioce from the popup

go into edit of your post, pose the curser where you want the image

click on the image icon in the comments tools

add the graphic adress to the corresponding field in the popup, reduce maximum size to 800 pixels

ok, and safe comment. always leave the attachment to the post

edited February 2021

Linwelly said:

@aki3d  gahhhhh please don't shout at me

*recovers herself from a pool of ooze on the floor* here you go:

once you have posted your comment with your image attached open the image from the attachment to another tab

collect the graphic adress from the image by right clicking on it and selecting the corresponding chioce from the popup

go into edit of your post, pose the curser where you want the image

click on the image icon in the comments tools

add the graphic adress to the corresponding field in the popup, reduce maximum size to 800 pixels

ok, and safe comment. always leave the attachment to the post

Thanks, I got it. It was just, that I havn't seen this little edit button on the top right.

Sorry for the big letters, it wasn't intentional. It came like this automatical and I was to lazy to change it! :)

Post edited by Aki3d on

no problem, glad you got it working then laugh