Can I use Morphs to fix Poses?

bwise1701bwise1701 Posts: 247
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Howdy,

I'd like to know if it's possible to use Morphs to fix intersections and other posing issues. Here's what I've tried.

I'm in DazStudio Pro 4. I load a scene. I pose my V4 character. THe pose has issues like collapsing or intersections or just a shape I'd like to tweak. I export just the v4 mesh as an obj, everything else invised.

I load the obj in Zbrush. I tweak it. I go back to Daz and use morphloader to load the morph. If I apply the morph the figure is distorted completely. If I zero out the figure back to the origin and no pose or shaping and then apply the morph it pulls it to the right place but of course the hair and clothes are now in default position/shape at the origin because that's where the character's rigging really is.

If I import just the obj it's in the right place but I don't see the groups I need to apply the correct shaders and textures too.

I've tried Morphloader and MorphLoader Pro in the hopes that there is some setting I'm missing... don't quite understand the Delta / DeltaAdd options for example. Also tried the vertex / group options to no avail.

Would love some advice here. Surely this is possible? Thanks a lot.

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Yes, it should be possible to do what you're asking. I'm not an expert on it though. One thing that you may need to do is remember to go back to base resolution before exporting from ZBrush (if you've subdivided it that is).

That's the only thing that comes to my mind (again, as an area that I am admittedly weak on).

• bwise1701bwise1701 Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

Thanks, but as I said the geometry comes in fine. I'm not doing any refinement in Zbrush just straight editing on the base mesh.

The problem I assume is that the obj just exports the world space co-ordinates of the mesh, no knowledge of the transform hierarchy that's applied to get them from their default to those positions. So to be explicit...

Is there some way to specify the morph load to take the world space co-ordinates of the import obj mesh points and translate them into deltas on the default character mesh points in their default space?

edited December 1969

Sadly, beyond my knowledge. I've kicked it over to others who might know...

edited July 2012

Hey just a thought one of my fellow moderators had... Why aren't you using GoZ? DS4P includes the GoZ bridge. Not sure if that would correct the issue or not, but we were curious.

Post edited by adamr001 on
    edited December 1969

I thought that I had downloaded GoZ when I purchased Studio Pro but can't seem to find it now. It is not in my list of plugins. And I'm not sure I'm ready to upgrade to a new version right at the moment and deal with all the usual attendant breakage / recalibration.

Never quite understood the whole Free thing, since I paid for Pro a few months before that. What did I gain for that money that isn't in the free versions now?

edited December 1969

bwise1701 said:
    I thought that I had downloaded GoZ when I purchased Studio Pro but can't seem to find it now. It is not in my list of plugins. And I'm not sure I'm ready to upgrade to a new version right at the moment and deal with all the usual attendant breakage / recalibration. Make sure you're looking under DAZ Studio Pro Plug-in Bundle for GoZ (just in case).

Never quite understood the whole Free thing, since I paid for Pro a few months before that. What did I gain for that money that isn't in the free versions now?

Other than access to the features before it went free, Decimator is the only plugin that isn't in the free version that was in the pay version.
    edited December 1969

Ah well. Caveat Emptor.

Regardless, does Goz perform the kind of point transformation I described?

edited December 1969

I still don't have an expert handy to confirm the specific options, but it definitely should work as you describe.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,848
    edited December 1969

You are checking the Reverse Deformations option when loading your morph, with the figure still in the same pose?

edited December 1969

Ah.. that's the magic. Reverse deformations. Worked like a charm. Thanks so much!