LAMH Millennium Big Cats 2 - How and Where??

ElgyfuElgyfu Posts: 279

I just purchased the Millennium Big Cats 2, and the Look At My Hair package for them.

I am using Daz Studio 4.6.3.52

I can see icons for the basic cats, and the LAMH versions in the Smart Content. They are under Figures (which took me a while to work out, I assumed they would be under Animals or Creatures, like other.. animals.)

The icons do have not actual cat images. If I click on any they inform me that a ,duf file does not exist.

I can see the Millennium cats in the Content Library, and CAN open any of the basic cat types from there.

But I have no idea how to make the cat furry if I do that. Where are the LAMH options in the Content Library?

I installed them with the usual Daz Install Manager so do not know why the Smart Content versions are not working. I have already tried reimporting all the metadata, that made no difference.

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me, preferably in idiot-proof terms, how to just get to a furry cat.

Thank you very much indeed.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited December 1969

Millennium Big Cat and DAZ Big Cat 2 are the products - are you sure you didn't buy the old set of cats and the add-on for the new set?

• ElgyfuElgyfu Posts: 279
    edited December 1969

I bought

DAZ Big Cat 2

Real Fur for DAZ Big Cat 2

I already had the original big cats.

I also have Look at My Hair (of course) installed on Daz

edited December 1969

I can see the Big Cats2 in the Content Library.

They are in Figures: DAZ Big Cat 2: Breeds

I looked at the actual files and can see that the LAMH versions are in a subfolder of Breeds, called AM. The files are DUFs.

But this subfolder is not showing as below Breeds in the Content Manager, for some reason.

I tried copying the content of the AM folder into the Breeds folder.. but they still are not showing up in the Content Manager.

Why would the Big Cat .dufs be showing in Content Manger but not the LAMH ones?

And why are neither working in Smart Content? Sigh.

So I still have no idea how the heck I make a furry cat or what is going wrong.

edited December 1969

I just tried clicking on one of the LAMH furry big cat .duf files directly in my computer folder... and it opened DAZ Studio .. and a furry leopard!

YAY!

But that still doesn't explain why Content Manager is pretending the file is not there at all. Nor why Smart Content is also saying the big cats don't have dufs.. when I can see they do.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited December 1969

Which content pane are you using - it sounds like Smart Content, where the arrangement of files does not reflect their placement on disc - for that you need the Content Library pane. If you are using Smart Content then the LaMH files may show up when you load the Big Cat 2 and have it selected.

• TsubaTsuba Posts: 78
    edited April 2019

Wow, these LAMH plugins are a mine field. Can't make two steps without crashing and corrupting the save file. First it crashes. Then it cancels the pose and renders the hair in default pose. Then it crashes again if you have anything else with the animal in the scene. I had to render to animal alone, then render my character alone, then assemble them in photoshop. Not ideal. Also, most of the animals sold here just don't work or have become incompatible with newer versions of Daz. Daz 4.10 crashes every time when using the white tiger and LAMH. Yeah, the only big cat that actually has a load up in the contents, crashes the program.

https://www.daz3d.com/white-tiger-for-daz-big-cat-2 says : Compatible Software: DAZ Studio 4.10

This isn't true. It crashes every time ! Not happy with my purchase.

Post edited by Tsuba on
  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Ya, those are really confusing to find.  Think it must have been one of their first products. I literally found them by accident.

Easiest way to find them is to go to the very top of the ContentLibrary panel and search on LAMH.  The LAMH versions of the Big Cats 2 apparently are separate characters that use the same Big Cat geom, but aren't add-ons to the original product.

And for Tsuba, I feel your anguish.  Had similar issues until I got a new system that could handle things.  All of the LAMH products are very system intensive, particularly on the graphics card.  The Catalyzer versions of the products have a Safe mode though. And while you could disable GPU rendering if it's taxing the card, the LAMH versions are generating HUGE amounts of geometry and that's a RAM issue.  Also, there are other considerations that need to be taken into account when multiple figures are in the same scene.  Should be a video on that.

LAMH BigCat Lion.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 367K
    edited April 2019

Thanks for sharing my pain, mdwhitney. ;) 

Which ones have a catalyzer ?

So far I could only find the bear and the wolf that have catalyzers, and I got them to work, painfully but finally they worked. The new LAMH 2 works a little better (meaning it actually sometimes works without crashing) than the older LAMH (which never worked for me, crashing every time). Sadly most animals work with the old one and don't have the catalyzer. (Also LAMH 2 has more options, like longer hair, which I love.)

Post edited by Tsuba on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,557
    edited April 2019
    Tsuba said:

Wow, these LAMH plugins are a mine field. Can't make two steps without crashing and corrupting the save file. First it crashes. Then it cancels the pose and renders the hair in default pose. Then it crashes again if you have anything else with the animal in the scene. I had to render to animal alone, then render my character alone, then assemble them in photoshop. Not ideal. Also, most of the animals sold here just don't work or have become incompatible with newer versions of Daz. Daz 4.10 crashes every time when using the white tiger and LAMH. Yeah, the only big cat that actually has a load up in the contents, crashes the program.

https://www.daz3d.com/white-tiger-for-daz-big-cat-2 says : Compatible Software: DAZ Studio 4.10

This isn't true. It crashes every time ! Not happy with my purchase.

Please try not to assume a product is faulty just because it behaves bad on your end. there are enough users on the forums and at DAZ that if a product was faulty, it would affect "everyone" and thus have been pulled from the store or fixed. I know LAMH is hard to navigate and use, but I have only had it crash once and that was probably user error.

i just did this with the HW Muledeer with LAMH using 200000 hairs in 10 minutes. Too bad catalyzer can't be used with anything other than what AM wants it to be used with as this would probably look better with the catalyzer

lamhmuletest.jpg
    1393 x 878 - 2M
    Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153
    Tsuba said:

Easiest way is just search the store for catalyzer animals

https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=catalyzer animals

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,137
    edited April 2019
    Tsuba said:

https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=catalyzer%20animals

Except that list isn't complete - Alessandro added Catalyzer presets for quite a few more of his animals, e.g. Skunk, Squirrels, Woolly Mammoth, Bear Cubs, Wolf 2, Caribou, Beaver, Foxes and Raccoon (those are just ones that I own). For some reason the search for "Catalyzer" doesn't turn them up.

ETA: I just switched on my DS PC and found a few more: Bison, Black Panther, Cheetah, Kangaroo, Leopard, Lion, Moose, Polar Bear Cub (not the adult though as far as I can see), Puma, Sbertooth and normal Tigers.

Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited April 2019
    MelanieL said:
    Tsuba said:

Except that list isn't complete - Alessandro added Catalyzer presets for quite a few more of his animals, e.g. Skunk, Squirrels, Woolly Mammoth, Bear Cubs, Wolf 2, Caribou, Beaver, Foxes and Raccoon (those are just ones that I own). For some reason the search for "Catalyzer" doesn't turn them up.

ETA: I just switched on my DS PC and found a few more: Bison, Black Panther, Cheetah, Kangaroo, Leopard, Lion, Moose, Polar Bear Cub (not the adult though as far as I can see), Puma, Sbertooth and normal Tigers.

By catalyzer I mean the ones that load with a catalyzer attached to it, so you can launch the LAMH2 render. If you try that with the animals you've cited, you get a message saying catalyzer is missing. You have to use the old LAMH for those, which doesn't work for me for some unknowable reason.

There are many more animals for the first LAMH version here:  https://www.furrythings.com/ and here https://hivewire3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=lamh The house cats presets are looking pretty sweet. I just wish they would work on my machine.

Post edited by Tsuba on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    Tsuba said:
    MelanieL said:
    Tsuba said:

By catalyzer I mean the ones that load with a catalyzer attached to it, so you can launch the LAMH2 render. If you try that with the animals you've cited, you get a message saying catalyzer is missing. You have to use the old LAMH for those, which doesn't work for me for some unknowable reason. There are many more animals for the first LAMH version here:  https://www.furrythings.com/ and here https://hivewire3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=lamh

The Catalyzer furs only work with the Catalyzer plugin and Iray, you also have to use the render button in the plugin and not the normal render button.

Tsuba said:
    MelanieL said:
    Tsuba said:

By catalyzer I mean the ones that load with a catalyzer attached to it, so you can launch the LAMH2 render. If you try that with the animals you've cited, you get a message saying catalyzer is missing. You have to use the old LAMH for those, which doesn't work for me for some unknowable reason.

There are many more animals for the first LAMH version here:  https://www.furrythings.com/ and here https://hivewire3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=lamh The house cats presets are looking pretty sweet. I just wish they would work on my machine.

Actually they are working OK for me in the Catalyzer versions - I attach some Iray renders done in the last half hour (nothing fancy, I just wanted to check they were still working in DS4.11 Beta because I hadn't used any of them since DS4.10 Beta some months ago)

PS: Nice pussycat!

Catalyzer-Kangaroo.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 101K
    Catalyzer-Raccoon1.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 97K
    Catalyzer-Raccoon2.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 167K
    edited April 2019

Fishtales said:

The Catalyzer furs only work with the Catalyzer plugin and Iray, you also have to use the render button in the plugin and not the normal render button. 

Yes, that's what I meant. The render button in the LAMH2Iray Catalyzer panel. Sorry about the confusion.

MelanieL said:
    Tsuba said:
    MelanieL said:
    Tsuba said:

Actually they are working OK for me in the Catalyzer versions - I attach some Iray renders done in the last half hour (nothing fancy, I just wanted to check they were still working in DS4.11 Beta because I hadn't used any of them since DS4.10 Beta some months ago)

PS: Nice pussycat!

Are you using this panel ? (Look at my hair - using presets)

Or this one ? (LAMH2Iray - using catalyzers)

If it's the second, please share where you found those catalyzers. 

Post edited by Tsuba on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808

you do have the right plugin version for your Studio version I assume

edited April 2019

I'm using the second (LAMH2Iray). All the animals are the latest version installed through DIM, as was the Catalyzer plugin. They are "just there" as actors under Figures-Animals-Land in the Content Library.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • Hello, actually there are Catalyzer presets for all of my furred models (except the polar bear which is currently being remade). If they don't show up in the Content Library (one of these is perhaps the models were released before the Catalyzer came in), just uninstall/download/install the model package using the DIM and the Catalyzer asset will be installed too.

Hello, actually there are Catalyzer presets for all of my furred models (except the polar bear which is currently being remade). If they don't show up in the Content Library (one of these is perhaps the models were released before the Catalyzer came in), just uninstall/download/install the model package using the DIM and the Catalyzer asset will be installed too.

Thanks for clearing that up !

Any chance we could get donkeys ? :)