Selling and/or sharing characters

I am pretty new to fax studio and have a question.

 

i have been making my own characters using sliders. I start with basic Gen8 figure then use sliders to mix and match characters from other vendors.  What's the rules with using sharing or selling these characters?  
So I start with basic gen8 and usually combine about 6-10 characters with multiple more body morphs.  
is it legal to sell these created characters, even though they were created by mixing other vendor characters?

Comments

  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2021

    eddyg said:

    I am pretty new to fax studio and have a question.

     

    i have been making my own characters using sliders. I start with basic Gen8 figure then use sliders to mix and match characters from other vendors.  What's the rules with using sharing or selling these characters?  
    So I start with basic gen8 and usually combine about 6-10 characters with multiple more body morphs.  

    is it legal to sell these created characters, even though they were created by mixing other vendor characters?

    Shortest and simplest answer to that question   is  

    Post edited by Chohole on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

    You can save as a Shape or Character preset and sell that with notice that buyer needs to own/have all the morph packages you used to dial in the character.

  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,558

    eddyg said:

    I am pretty new to fax studio and have a question.

     

    i have been making my own characters using sliders. I start with basic Gen8 figure then use sliders to mix and match characters from other vendors.  What's the rules with using sharing or selling these characters?  
    So I start with basic gen8 and usually combine about 6-10 characters with multiple more body morphs.  
    is it legal to sell these created characters, even though they were created by mixing other vendor characters?

    of course not. the characters you are using were created by someone else, That would be stealing to use their work for your own creations. As pointed out,the only way to share them would be to share the preset with the caviat that the end user has the same characters purchased and installed that you used (not shared by you)

    there are special "merchant resources" like morphs and textures in the store you can use for creating commercial characters, but only for commercial products, not freebies

  • jestmart said:

    You can save as a Shape or Character preset and sell that with notice that buyer needs to own/have all the morph packages you used to dial in the character.

    What would be the point? I don't think you can copyright something like that for yourself as it would amount to forbidding anyone owning all of the products from using that specific combination of those products if they don't purchase your character recipe. Once the recipe gets sold and gets out in the "wild", its out there free of charge with no copyright, so its not something I would be expecting to sell for enough $$ for very long to make it worth the time. If someone is going to bother with that, they should at least make some unique components for the character that can be copyrighted and would actually encourage customers to buy it(i.e. particularly skin and/or hair).

  • magog_a4eb71ab said:

    jestmart said:

    You can save as a Shape or Character preset and sell that with notice that buyer needs to own/have all the morph packages you used to dial in the character.

    What would be the point? I don't think you can copyright something like that for yourself as it would amount to forbidding anyone owning all of the products from using that specific combination of those products if they don't purchase your character recipe. Once the recipe gets sold and gets out in the "wild", its out there free of charge with no copyright, so its not something I would be expecting to sell for enough $$ for very long to make it worth the time. If someone is going to bother with that, they should at least make some unique components for the character that can be copyrighted and would actually encourage customers to buy it(i.e. particularly skin and/or hair).

    The EULA asserts ownership, if you want to challenge it you would need to hire a lawyer and have them cotnact Daz' lawyers.

  • I have a question....I created a character using the face Transfer 2 plugin.  The full body morph for the figure was created in Blender for the model.  It works completely off the Genesis 8 male base textures.  The only texture that it\s using is the face texture created in Transfer 2.  If the user doesn;t have the Genesis base male installed with the base textures, the model won't load with textures except for the created face texture.  Naturally, if the user HAS the Genesis male, they will also have the base textures for it as well....so, it should load correctly.  My question is, could I sell that figure?  

    Roman_01.jpg
    709 x 867 - 430K
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,022
    To sell a character one must create a skin for it. An alternative if you are not comfortable creating skins is to sell it as a shape instead.
  • FenixPhoenix said:

    To sell a character one must create a skin for it. An alternative if you are not comfortable creating skins is to sell it as a shape instead.

    You can also buy merchant resource skins which is what I do. 

  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,022

    FenixPhoenix said:

    To sell a character one must create a skin for it. An alternative if you are not comfortable creating skins is to sell it as a shape instead.

    You can also buy merchant resource skins which is what I do. 

    Yes, but one cannot use them as is. They must still be changed, as per each merchant resource license terms.
Sign In or Register to comment.