Michael 8.1

Well here is G8.1M and Michael 8.1 definitely different..

https://www.daz3d.com/michael-8-1-and-varsity-bundle

Comments

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

I'm so stoked. I think Trance is the first 8.1 PA addon character we've gotten?

• That was quick.

• Should be interesting to see the reactions to a core character being subject to a wheelchair.

In my case, i'm all for it. Something more unique and different compared to the massively tall ripped male figures that seemingly make up the majority of male characters.

• I agree, The image showing him doing pullups is awesome. The body shape is very interesting. I don't think I have ever seen a 3d character like that before.

edited March 2022

Another3Drenderer said:

Should be interesting to see the reactions to a core character being subject to a wheelchair.

In my case, i'm all for it. Something more unique and different compared to the massively tall ripped male figures that seemingly make up the majority of male characters.

It rules. :D It means we get really nice items to portray disabled characters accurately. I was actually on the verge of paying uh...considerably over Daz prices to get an accurate wheelchair model of this type from a standard 3D marketplace because the last one I could find that wasn't a hospital chair, steampunk thing, or creepy asylum prop is no longer available from the seller. 

Post edited by ThreadTidier on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713
    edited January 2021

Okay, anyone getting the bundle lower than $75? The add-ons don't work reducing it (yet?), and three two of the five that qualify to reduce the price are FEMALE - gee, I wonder why male products don't sell as well.

I like the look of Michael 8.1, and I like the items in the bundle, but not at that price. Guess I'll just get the base and pick up everything else in a sale in a year or so.

Post edited by Nath on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982
    edited March 2022

Another3Drenderer said:

Should be interesting to see the reactions to a core character being subject to a wheelchair.

It is interesting and good to see this, wonder if they will continue with later 8.1 characters..

Post edited by ThreadTidier on
  • CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    First thoughts after seeing the promo pic: (1) he is hot (2) good job on the leg morphs Daz (3) somehow the teeth break the realism, otherwise he is almost 100% realistic

Nath said:

Okay, anyone getting the bundle lower than $75? The add-ons don't work reducing it (yet?), and three two of the five that qualify to reduce the price are FEMALE - gee, I wonder why male products don't sell as well.

I like the look of Michael 8.1, and I like the items in the bundle, but not at that price. Guess I'll just get the base and pick up everything else in a sale in a year or so.

I'm getting some weird cart stuff so it may just have not sorted itself out yet. 

• Yep, love the wheelchair. I have a good wheelchair from Rendo, so having a "sporty" option is a plus. 100% in favor of it as part of the bundle, and it's something I'd buy outside of a bundle if it wasn't part of this bundle.

Gotta wait for the pricing to settle down to whatever it's supposed to be (I don't seem to have a banner & I don't see a discount for add-ons), so I'll check it out later on.

• As usual, when the store changes over it can take a while for things to "settle". 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I do like his sculpt. I find his skin a little flat and featureless tho. And his eyes don't look nearly as good as Vicky 8.1's do.

Laurie

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982

ChangelingChick said:

As usual, when the store changes over it can take a while for things to "settle". 

Pretty much, at the moment adding in two addons makes the bundle drop, add in a third and the bundle goes back up.. lol

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Like Vicky, he's a nice improvement over Michael 8.  

The basketball stuff is pretty nicely done, too.

• CZCZ Posts: 160

Wow, that was quick.

But I'm kind of disapointed. His face, especially his lips, to me not even comes close to the realism we get with Victoria8.1. I think he looks like he is wearing tons of make-up on his skin. Very flawless. Also in most of the promos, he looks very young to me like hardly 20.

I'm very interested to see some renders of him, as often the DAZ promos do not convince me, but some custom renders finally do so.

CZ said:

Wow, that was quick.

But I'm kind of disapointed. His face, especially his lips, to me not even comes close to the realism we get with Victoria8.1. I think he looks like he is wearing tons of make-up on his skin. Very flawless. Also in most of the promos, he looks very young to me like hardly 20.

I'm very interested to see some renders of him, as often the DAZ promos do not convince me, but some custom renders finally do so.

Agreed. Vicky 8.1 has bumps and freckles, areas where the skin is a slightly different color. Mike 8.1 looks like he's wearing pancake makeup and airbrushed. 

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

Looks like the prices have settled, but bundle and three add-ons comes in at a total of $83. Still gonna nope on the bundle, and pick up Mike now and further items if/when they reduce later on.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

A puzzling thing: according to his product page, Michael 8.1 includes 3Delight settings, and Victoria didn't. He also includes an add-on character in his first bundle, and Victoria didn't include a character in either of her bundles.

Beyond that, he's MUCH younger looking than Michael 8, and not nearly as lantern-jawed.

Mostly, I just kind of want Trance, though.

He kind of reminds me of a Genesis 2 character from the promos, but I'm gonna load him in and see what he looks like out of the box. 

• plasma_ring said:

He kind of reminds me of a Genesis 2 character from the promos 

I thought the same.  I think I'll pass for now, I just don't like him.  I'm assuming he's not required for Trance?  Trance I do like. 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

CZ said:

Wow, that was quick.

He's a university athlete, so it makes sense that he looks young. 

edited January 2021

vwrangler said:

A puzzling thing: according to his product page, Michael 8.1 includes 3Delight settings, and Victoria didn't. He also includes an add-on character in his first bundle, and Victoria didn't include a character in either of her bundles.

Beyond that, he's MUCH younger looking than Michael 8, and not nearly as lantern-jawed.

Huh, he doesn't include 3Delight in his materials folder. 

Here he is as he loads, under default settings. Actually much more realistic than in the promos IMO. His skin texture has hair stubble on the scalp. 

mike.png
    1346 x 1201 - 685K
    Post edited by plasma_ring on
    edited January 2021

vwrangler said:

plasma_ring said:

Huh, he doesn't include 3Delight in his materials folder. 

It looks like it's an error of some sort. I think the line about the "subsurface settings (3Delight)" probably isn't supposed to be there at all. It only specifically notes Iray materials, and it makes no sense to have 3Delight subsurface settings when you don't have 3Delight materials.

Here he is as he loads, under default settings. Actually much more realistic than in the promos IMO. His skin texture has hair stubble on the scalp. 

You've made him look pretty good. Oddly enough, he looks kind of like the midpoint between Michael 7 and Michael 8. Or maybe between Michael 6 and 8. (Actually, I wonder if maybe he uses the texture resource they used for Michael 6. In that lighting, he looks a LOT like Nevio.)

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335

Quick question...The "Zack" hair in the M8.1 promos. What hair is that? It's not in the bundle as far as I can tell.

• it does include "Genesis 8.1 Male Body Hair", so DAZ did not want to have the same customer "feedback" (aka shitstorm) as with the Genesis 8.1. Vellus Hair. laugh

That was a nice start, but please continue to listen to your customers.

mmkdaz said:

Quick question...The "Zack" hair in the M8.1 promos. What hair is that? It's not in the bundle as far as I can tell.

Where are you seeing that? I didn't catch it, myself.

In any event, Zack hair came with the Lucas 8 bundle: https://www.daz3d.com/zack-hair-for-genesis-8-male-s

• I'll wait until tomorrow to see what the secondary bundle is. As awesome as the wheelchair is, I don't need a bunch of basketball things + animation fluff especially with the huge price tags on smaller batches of items we get now. Will pick that up separately.

And 40% of the add-on items for Michael 8.1 to be women and women's clothing?? Yeesh. The big-bucks HD add-on, two outfit texture sets, a female character, and her cheerleading outfit. Ditch the girl and the skirt, give us male hair or accessories instead. Something, anything. Wheelchair mods even, just let us pick from things for the expensive character we are buying.

As to the character, I agree that in the promos he looks a lot less natural and realistic than Victoria 8.1, just very opaque. However, the morphs for his legs are definitely a draw, I genuinely like the approach of him as being more than just another fit and flawless model, and I'm interested in acquiring his various maps for the new shader. If they look good and I see some good renders from people who pick him up early, I'm returning Vicky. And I'm very interested in Trance, a dark-skinned character made with the new shader!

Edit: That skin looks a lot better out of the promos, plasma_ring! I'm just really disappointed to hear that it has the head stubble. I've passed over otherwise beautiful characters due to baked in stubble because it can make using hair with the length, color, style, and hairline of my choosing impossible without breaking flow and editing things as best I can, across multiple maps.

I take it there's no "stubble gone" option like there sometimes is for eyebrows or other facial hair?

• bjoernb78bjoernb78 Posts: 135

So here it is: Michael 7.9

and no, it's not about being disabled. I just don't see any progression in realism with the 8.1 figures. For me they look less realistic than recent Gen 8 figures. This is mainly because of their flat looking skin I think. But maybe it's just me.

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

he's really expensive + a bad deal (e.g. no free daz originals)

michael 81.png
    1922 x 888 - 242K

This might be the very first Michael I pass on (and I've got em all up to now). He looks like a store mannequin. Christian has more detail than this guy does. His face looks ever-so-slightly-cartoonish almost, tho it might be the lack of features that is tricking my brain. Young notwithstanding, this guy doesn't even have a pimple or an acne scar. Meh.

Laurie