Correct installation path

SherrillSherrill Posts: 61

Trying to get back into Studio after a few years. I downloaded the latest version (4.6) My question is simple, but I can't seem to find an answer that I understand.
I have literally tons of content that I copied to cd's through the years. What path do I use to incorporate them into Studio? Do I use the same path as the DIM uses or a different one? I have Windows 8 if that's significant in any way. Any and all help appreciated!!!!

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited September 2014

EDITED TO NOTE THIS COMMENT IS WRONG, -->You may install it wherever you want <-- SEE LINK BELOW FOR REASON WHY YOU SHOULD NOT INSTALL DIM AND NON-DIM CONTENT INTO THE SAME FOLDER.</p>

(well, mostly; don't nest one content folder below another, don't put it where your applications reside, etc.).

What's important is that you tell DS where it is after you do that. It would probably be easiest to install everything into the same path that DIM is already using, but there are personal preference reasons to install it elsewhere if desired. Once you have chosen one or more locations, in the Content Library pane, click the menu icon then select Content Directory Manager from the menu. If your content is Poser format content only (ie, a Runtime folder), click "Poser Formats", then the Add button, then browse to and select the folder ABOVE the runtime folder. If your content is DAZ Studio content only, click "DAZ Studio Formats", then the Add button, then browse to and select the folder ABOVE the data/people/etc. folder. If you use both Poser and DS formats, do both. Then select "Scan Known Directories for files" from the Content Library pane's menu to actually look through the folders for content.

Note that different people package content differently, so you might need to manually move files around or create folders as part of the install process. If you aren't sure, best to install into a temporary folder to see what it does until you get the hang of it.

Post edited by sriesch on
  • SherrillSherrill Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

Thanx Sean. I will probably take the easiest route (DIM) with all the Studio content generated by DAZ and more in depth with 3rd party content. Thanks again. You have been most helpful.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Never install content that is not DIM installed to the same folder as your DIM installed content. Meaning have two content folders, one for DIM only and one for everything else. This information comes direct from DAZ3D. Just make sure that you set up the paths in the Content Directory Manager inside Daz Studio.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Never install content that is not DIM installed to the same folder as your DIM installed content.

I did not know this could be a problem. Why should we not?
    edited December 1969

Aha. Thanks for the link. My apologies Sherrill for the incorrect information.

edited December 1969

My pleasure I did that same a threw everything in to that same folder and across multiple folders, around 40. Now I have two folders one for DIM and one for everything else. Now the job of Categorizing everything.

• SherrillSherrill Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone! Still having problems with my older application files that are on the cd's. The files where DAZ used their own installer in previous versions of Studio. Seems like these are ending up all over the place!!! Would be great if I could get these apps all in one place. (as in one root directory) Working on it! I know the answer is staring me in the face.

edited December 1969

Ok exe's as totally customisable in where they will install, so it is a matter of choosing the correct Path when installing

• MicheleMichele Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

I have been searching for a answer to my Daz question.
    Which is, How do I install third party content, and plug in portions from daz that aren't dim ready.
    I also need help with telling daz where the directories are.

Please don't be afraid to use screen shots and spell it out for me. I am not the most tech savvy.

• VhardamisVhardamis Posts: 576
    edited December 1969

To show it where to find your new content go to Edit>Preferences>Content Library> Then follow the image below.

Adding_directories_in_DS.png
    1376 x 560 - 66K
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the quick reply. :cheese: I will try this and hopefully I won't mess up. lol I tried adding through other directories and had to do a system restore to get my library back. Will this work for the portions of plugins that need manual installation too? :-)

edited December 1969

I got some of my content to work, unfortunately the plug in are a no go. Though I noticed that they are for an older version of daz so I am guessing thats the problem there. I am wondering why though, some of my products won't install right, the big one right now is Glute and Breast control, even though the product was dim ready, it's morphs are not showing up in the shaping tab and they don't work from the content library either. :question: Any ideas on how I can fix this? :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The Data and Runtime folders need to be directly underneath the folder you have set as a content folder in DAZ Studio -- if your content folder is "My Library", for example, they must be "My Library\Data" and "My Library\Runtime", and not "My Library\Content\Data" and "My Library\Content\Runtime".

edited December 1969

I will check on that. Though I did notice that my Daz 3d folders have two different folders in two different areas, the first Daz3d folder contains all of the download install manager files and some other files in the Programs File (x86) folder.

But the other daz 3D folder in the Program Files, folder has my sub folders for Carrara 8.5, carrara render node, content management, Daz studio 4, and the PostgreSQL CMS.

Is there supposed to be two program folders and two daz folders like this?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

gwydyons said:
    I will check on that. Though I did notice that my Daz 3d folders have two different folders in two different areas, the first Daz3d folder contains all of the download install manager files and some other files in the Programs File (x86) folder.

But the other daz 3D folder in the Program Files, folder has my sub folders for Carrara 8.5, carrara render node, content management, Daz studio 4, and the PostgreSQL CMS.

Is there supposed to be two program folders and two daz folders like this?

Yes, Program Files (x86) is for 32-bit programs. But neither of those should have your content folders.

edited December 1969

I finally found my content folder. It was in the user's public documents folder. And I installed my first third party content too for the first time. YEAH! :cheese: Thank you for all your help. :cheese: