Shaniquah by Angelwings

So excited to to this here-https://www.daz3d.com/shaniquah-for-genesis-3-and-8-female

A beautiful child!

Comments

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Have her in my cart already, just waiting to see if there is a fix for the sale on the giftcard.

• She was an instant buy for me. You should have seen how fast she went into my cart. So cute. I'm looking forward to rendering her. :)

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676
    edited January 2021

Top notch work as always AW

Post edited by TheKD on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Loved the hair, not sure how i missed it when released, but am disappointed in it; no bones. Will be returning the hair, which was a big reason for me getting my first AW character.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

nicstt said:

Loved the hair, not sure how i missed it when released, but am disappointed in it; no bones. Will be returning the hair, which was a big reason for me getting my first AW character.

Bones would have been nice, but the hair has a lot of morphs that make it pretty easy to use.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Morhps, tend to make the hair look odd - noticeable in the promos - I should have paid more attention; the main promo image sold me on it.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,741

Great job, Angelwings! Instabuy for me.

• I see Angelwings product, I buy. 

• Character is georgous. Also not that fond of how the Jumbo Braids apply but that's not AWs fault. Had the hair already in my library. Probably got it cheap as DAZ original with some sale I guess.

• kimhkimh Posts: 386

She is adorable

• hansmolleman33 said:

I see Angelwings product, I buy. 

+1 

• onixonix Posts: 282

AW characters are a bit too cute and all very similar,  Not good for the story where you need different types of characters, not just a bunch of supermodels.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

onix said:

AW characters are a bit too cute and all very similar,  Not good for the story where you need different types of characters, not just a bunch of supermodels.

Every PA has their own style, just look at any other PA who makes characters and you will see that most have a simularity in their characters too.  But that is not a big deal with the Genesis figures as different character shapes can be easily mixed together to create a much different look.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Mattymanx said:

onix said:

Every PA has their own style, just look at any other PA who makes characters and you will see that most have a simularity in their characters too.  But that is not a big deal with the Genesis figures as different character shapes can be easily mixed together to create a much different look.

Yep, agree. I mix lots of ages and shapes to create new characters. Never use one "out of the box" - my enjoyment of this hobby is creating "new" even though I'm using mixed pre-made to do so. Mostly I like to buy characters for the skins because I have no experience with making my own.

edited January 2021

Just a note to the PA - the figure seems to load at low resolution so, for example, the outline of the ears and nostrils are not smooth. I adjusted the resolution to High and Subdiv to 2 which looks better but I am not sure what you intended.

Also, an explanation of what the 4 shaders are intended to produce might be helpful.

Post edited by marble on
  • mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335

I must say, I am very impressed.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,548

My only problem with the character is I don't think any Black girl should be named Shaniqua, regardless of how its spelled. I think, in fictional urban contexts, the name is associated with characters with undesirable attributes. It's like naming a character "Sheneneh", which would immediately associate the character with a fictional character of the same name on the show, "Martin". Doing a web search for "Shaniqua" might show some examples of what I'm talking about.

This is a pretty character though. If I get her, her name will probably be changed to Shani or something like that. Then I'll never be able to find her in the site search because I changed the name.

edited January 2021

NylonGirl said:

My only problem with the character is I don't think any Black girl should be named Shaniqua, regardless of how its spelled. I think, in fictional urban contexts, the name is associated with characters with undesirable attributes. It's like naming a character "Sheneneh", which would immediately associate the character with a fictional character of the same name on the show, "Martin". Doing a web search for "Shaniqua" might show some examples of what I'm talking about.

This is a pretty character though. If I get her, her name will probably be changed to Shani or something like that. Then I'll never be able to find her in the site search because I changed the name.

I did rename her ... almost your choice too: Shanie. Not for any other reason than Shaniqua was not a name I could imagine mother calling out at dinner time.

Here's my initial render. It is the PT version for now - almost out of the box. I messed with the texture maps a little (so many maps that the VRAM load is quite high) and then ran it through Scene Optimizer to try to bring that VRAM down a little. I would like to know how to remove that bright halo around the irises though.

ShaniePT.png
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by marble on
  • marble said:

NylonGirl said:

I did rename her ... almost your choice too: Shanie. Not for any other reason than Shaniqua was not a name I could imagine mother calling out at dinner time.

Here's my initial render. It is the PT version for now - almost out of the box. I messed with the texture maps a little (so many maps that the VRAM load is quite high) and then ran it through Scene Optimizer to try to bring that VRAM down a little. I would like to know how to remove that bright halo around the irises though.

Can you tell me which hair did you use on that render?

Ghatanothoa said:

marble said:

NylonGirl said:

Can you tell me which hair did you use on that render?

That's Baby Locks by Small World : Small World Baby Locks Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D

• one of her with a little bit of Darcy thrown in to age her slightly  Body pop outfit

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

NylonGirl said:

Interesting, I have no experience with the context which shapes your thinking; however, I do have a colleague at work that has that exact name.  Apparently, her mother made the choice because: Shaniqua is an African name that means "gift from God."

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

NylonGirl said:

It is a proper and common name that has been around long before any of this stupid stereotyping. The name is also still being given to babies today, though perhaps at a lesser rate than before simply because of comments like this that only popped up in recent years. Have you stopped to think about how fair this is towards the people who have this name?

It is like how the name Karen suddenly has a negative meaning, and it frankly pisses me off because I have family with this name.

The best way to deal with this is to not bring it up at all. Let it die. Not the name, the senseless behavior around it needs to die. The names are completely innocent. That is how stereotyping should be dealt with. There is no reason to bring this up here or anywhere else because of a Google search. A girl named Shaniqua should be able to wear her name proudly, end of story. And if somebody is going to attempt to belittle another because of their name, well that only demonstates their lack of character, not the person with that name.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,146

marble said:

Just a note to the PA - the figure seems to load at low resolution so, for example, the outline of the ears and nostrils are not smooth. I adjusted the resolution to High and Subdiv to 2 which looks better but I am not sure what you intended.

Also, an explanation of what the 4 shaders are intended to produce might be helpful.

The PA has a commercial thread for this character and has addressed this issue there, in case you are interested. 

• outrider42 said:

NylonGirl said:

It is a proper and common name that has been around long before any of this stupid stereotyping. The name is also still being given to babies today, though perhaps at a lesser rate than before simply because of comments like this that only popped up in recent years. Have you stopped to think about how fair this is towards the people who have this name?

It is like how the name Karen suddenly has a negative meaning, and it frankly pisses me off because I have family with this name.

The best way to deal with this is to not bring it up at all. Let it die. Not the name, the senseless behavior around it needs to die. The names are completely innocent. That is how stereotyping should be dealt with. There is no reason to bring this up here or anywhere else because of a Google search. A girl named Shaniqua should be able to wear her name proudly, end of story. And if somebody is going to attempt to belittle another because of their name, well that only demonstates their lack of character, not the person with that name.

Also, outside of the US, none of us have the faintest idea what this argument is about. 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,548

outrider42 said:

NylonGirl said:

I was thinking about this just now and suddenly came to the conclusion that you're right.