OK a stupid question regarding using DS props in Carrara

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Is there any way I can use DS format props in Carrara without having DS installed?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,859
    edited December 1969

only if duf format and using C8.5
    otherwise you need DAZ studio to export as obj.
    on the bright side if you do, Carrara can import them as seperate meshes per shader if desired, handy for opening windows etc.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

But I tried both importing and opening the .duf and it kept telling me it couldn't find the .dsf

I unzipped the prop to a temp folder on the same drive as I have Carrara

edited December 1969

can you say which prop?
    also having postgre data base instead of Valentina makes Carrara get weird errors importing duf flies
    it may be you are out of luck as some things just will not work.

edited December 1969

I am trying to use one of Predatrons new plant props, as he no longer includes a poser version of them, only companion files for newer versions of poser. This one is the nettles.

Do I need to associate the temp content folder to Carrara, and if so how do I do that.

See you are going to get all the newbie questions from me.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited December 1969

Good question.

- I loaded it directly in Carrara 8.5 from the "my daz3d library", not "my daz3d library runtime", content folder. This loads the duf/dsf files. You should be able to do that without Studio running. It worked for me, but I have Studio installed (although not running).

- however, I checked my DIM install, and it says that the product did come with Poser companion files. There are files for the product in the "my daz3d library runtime" content folder in the /props/p3da_nature/plants/nettles folder. Unfortunately, I could not successfully load the nettles from that library to C8.5 directly. Not sure if that is a bug o a feature.

I would suggest trying to load the nettles file from you "my daz3d library" assuming you are running c8.5. If that doesn't work, check to see if the poser companion files allow the DSON converter to load it into Poser then save it in a Poser library. Try loading it from the poser library.

If all else fails, check with predatron to see if it is supposed to be able to load directly from the runtime folder, as opposed to the Daz content folder.

If you are really brave, see if it is in smart content somewhere, but I wouldn't know about that. ;-)

edited September 2014

My problem is I don't use DS, and don't have it installed at all. Also the only Poser I have is P8, which doesn't work with DSON.

AS you get so much DS content with Carrara 8.5 there ought to be a way to get it to work.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I fell asleep or would test, got the nettles
    I too have studio installed and believe that makes a difference

edited December 1969

The duf files in the "my daz3d library" content folder should load in C8.5 even without Studio. I thought the only thing that Studio mattered for was the smart content stuff, which most of us ignore.

edited December 1969

well I am not much help
    it imported straight away for me out the box
    only thing I can suggest is having Daz studio installed as that seems to help me with duf stuff

nettles.png
    2000 x 2000 - 7M
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

I really wish that DAZ would make compatibility with Carrara a higher priority for their product testing, they are much more keen to provide compatibility with Poser than their own product, and it sends out the wrong message! Having said that, I don't see a reason that a .duf file would not load into C8.5, even without DS installed.

edited December 1969

Because I could successfully load the props from one location but not another, I think it might be useful to make sure you are loading from the correct location.

- what did work for me? - load from "My Daz3D Library" in the props/predatron/nature/plants/nettles folder in the content browser

- what did not work for me? - attempt to load from "My Daz3D Library Runtime" in the props/p3da_nature/plants/nettles folder

The first is the location from which Carrara loads files in the duf format, which this prop set is in. The second is the location from which Carrara loads files in the old Poser format, which didn't work even though the Predatron prop did have PoserCF companion files available. This is the first prop that I know of which I could not load the Poser style when one was available.

5_nettles_load.JPG
    1412 x 757 - 169K
    4_nettles_load.JPG
    1815 x 872 - 134K