EEEEK alternate Daz site?

DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
edited December 1969 in The Commons

what is http://ca1-magweb.daz3d.com/shop/community???

I was just going to daz normally and then suddenly was at this http://ca1-magweb.daz3d.com.... stuff.

Totally freaked me out and I logged in there, I hope it was safe??? It looks like daz site but its practically empty. What's up with this?

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,685
    edited December 1969

I once went there I think. Not sure how I got there. I did not log in but noticed most of the posts were not there.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

Whatever it is i'm so worried now.... what if its a scam site??? I have NO IDEA but i logged in so its got my password now :( ARG

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Whatever it is i'm so worried now.... what if its a scam site??? I have NO IDEA but i logged in so its got my password now :( ARG

No problems. It is simply the Daz Site. not quite sure why you got that address to access it, seems to be something that has been left behind from the Beta site.
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

whew thanks for the clarification Chohole! i admit to being very worried!

• Cyn ArtCyn Art Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

From the url structure it appears to be a subdomain of daz3d's. Maybe they're going to start offering a web magazine, or were thinking of it at one time.

Post edited by Cyn Art on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited July 2012

Cyn Art said:
    From the url structure it appears to be a subdomain of daz3d's.

Right. The key part is whatever goes immediately before the .com (or .org, or .co.uk, or what have you). so example.daz3d.com should be fine; daz3d.example.com or example-daz3d.com might not be (could be a phishing site or something else you want to steer clear of).
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

As I said, this one is linked somehow to the Beta Site. Nothing more and nothing less than that.

• Martin_CMartin_C Posts: 164
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    It is simply the Daz Site. not quite sure why you got that address to access it

Google loves it, if you search for anything that is included there, it tends to prefer the "ca1-magweb" links to more recent ones.
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

I get a blank page when I click on the link... What are you people hiding from me... hmm?

To make matters worse, my office chair just broke when I typed that last "hmm".... Luckily my catlike reflexes prevented me from falling into the pit in back of me (I really have to put a board over that or something).

I smell a conspiracy....

Nope... thats just an old cheese wheel that rolled into the pit.... I really gotta cover that up.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    edited December 1969

Cyn Art said:
    From the url structure it appears to be a subdomain of daz3d's. Maybe they're going to start offering a web magazine, or were thinking of it at one time.

I'd guess that the 'mag' in 'magweb' refers to Magento, which is the e-commerce engine that the new store/site runs on.

'ca1-magweb.daz3d.com' is probably the name of an individual machine in the cluster of machines that serves the DAZ site (or perhaps a development machine). Apparently there's an error in a configuration file somewhere, or a hard-coded reference to a specific machine in their code.

edited December 1969

You know, looking at the thread title reminded me that based on current scientific theories, that statistically there are probably thousands of alternate universes where the new DAZ site actually works well AND looks good... unfortunately in at least 15,699 of them we are all giant, hat wearing cockroaches.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794
    edited December 1969

there would be a universe then where we we all in the CGsociety laughing at those Max users having to model all their own stuff to do renders!!!

edited December 1969

... there are probably thousands of alternate universes where the new DAZ site actually works well AND looks good... unfortunately in at least 15,699 of them we are all giant, hat wearing cockroaches.

You're not a giant hat-wearing cockroach?

Damn it, I'm in the wrong reality again. I knew that I should have stopped and asked directions at the last fold in the space-time continuum.

On the plus side, if I can just find my way back to my home universe, I've got a great shopping experience ahead of me.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

there would be a universe then where we we all in the CGsociety laughing at those Max users having to model all their own stuff to do renders!!!
    I had a comment but remembered that I really just should not go there.
    edited December 1969

I am a giant roach who sometimes wears a hat.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

You know, looking at the thread title reminded me that based on current scientific theories, that statistically there are probably thousands of alternate universes where the new DAZ site actually works well AND looks good... unfortunately in at least 15,699 of them we are all giant, hat wearing cockroaches.

...and we're complaining about lack of support for The Grubs 4
    ...and Genesis looks like this: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=insect-i-vore&x=0&y=0
    ...and the best-selling items include the Elite Texture Gregor, a nice set of antennae poses, fibermesh leg spines and bristles, and Stonemason's highly detailed Roach Motel Ruins.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794
    edited December 1969

and Socratease wants a Genesis Stagbeetle!

edited December 1969

Cute Larvae pix time!

MelonHelmetGrub.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 279K
    edited December 1969

That looks like a well fed grub. Some grubs are so skinny.

Not sure if I read this or dreamer it but there is a grub if cooked correctly it will loop before dying and then become edible. I think it was said that this grub has a peanuty taste. Not sure if it is true or not. I am not going looking for grubs to eat.

edited December 1969

... Not sure if I read this or dreamer it but there is a grub if cooked correctly it will loop before dying and then become edible. I think it was said that this grub has a peanuty taste.

You may be thinking of a witchetty grub.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

angusm said:
    You may be thinking of a witchetty grub.
    They are I posted about them, and they do taste kind of good when roasted in coals. Not bad raw either, plain old white grubs taste like well a freaking grub. But they will provide you with needed protein if you need to eat. I was a survivalist, live off the land enthusiast before my disability.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

angusm said:

I'd guess that the 'mag' in 'magweb' refers to Magento, which is the e-commerce engine that the new store/site runs on.

'ca1-magweb.daz3d.com' is probably the name of an individual machine in the cluster of machines that serves the DAZ site (or perhaps a development machine). Apparently there's an error in a configuration file somewhere, or a hard-coded reference to a specific machine in their code.

Duh. Magento . . . that makes sense. LoL :lol: Guess my li'l particle brain needs some sustenance.

Anybody got an extra grub? :P

edited December 1969

Cyn Art said:
    angusm said:

Duh. Magento . . . that makes sense. LoL :lol: Guess my li'l particle brain needs some sustenance.

Anybody got an extra grub? :P

Get a cheap piece of meat. Preferably one that is marked down because the sell by date is teak soon. Put it on a plate but out of pet range. Leave on table until grub start appearing. Remove the grub and cook the grub. Throw out the bad meat.

edited December 1969

Get a cheap piece of meat. Preferably one that is marked down because the sell by date is teak soon. Put it on a plate but out of pet range. Leave on table until grub start appearing. Remove the grub and cook the grub. Throw out the bad meat.

Uh oh . . . I don't think those are grubs. :gulp:
    Don't eat any! :zip: I'm pretty sure they're maggots. lol

edited December 1969

Cyn Art said:

Uh oh . . . I don't think those are grubs. :gulp:
    Don't eat any! :zip: I'm pretty sure they're maggots. lol

Now I want to eat some maggots. What happens if I eat maggots?

edited December 1969

Mostly nothing, but that would depend to some extent on what they were eating... some will absorb whatever toxins are in what it is they have eaten. I've eaten maggots (in that case not on purpose) and aside from the yeech factor and maybe a slightly tangy/bitter aftertaste, nothing happened.
    I'm not a fan of eating insects, but I've had to do it a couple of times... I really hate eating them raw, in all honesty I suppose eating clams raw is probably worse and I love them (with a little lemon)... I suppose it where you are raised and what your tastes are.