Getting to know DS4

TorbyTorby Posts: 250
edited December 1969 in The Commons

So, in an attempt to get to know DS4, I tried rendering Trotwood.

In DS 3, Trootwood was a K4 with a couple outfits, primarily bluejeans. Sicleyield provided most of his clothes, though I used somebody else's jeans.

After a couple hours, I managed to render this guy. I still have some problems with him:

1. Too many teeth. Trot is missing his top 4 front teeth. I got Oom Fooyat's tooth morphs in my folder, but can't find them in DS4.
2. No blue jeans. He's having to run around in his altogethers in violation of the forum TOS and a lot of other things.
3. Trot has thin lips, high cheekbones, a turned up nose and slightly sunken cheeks. Haven't found morphs to do these yet.
4. No nipples. He's going to look rather silly in his super hero getup.
5. Not enough freckles. I think he's a little more freckled than this one skin I have in DS4.
6. No tennis shoes. Admittedly, he doesn't wear them much.

I still haven't managed to get any of my DS3 content into DS4. I still have most of the installers and zips, perhaps I should just install them fresh and dump the old DS3 folders?

Christmas2011c.jpg
664 x 644 - 301K
GenesisTrot.jpg
668 x 617 - 114K

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,700
    edited July 2012

Are you looking for free jeans or is paid okay?

Do you have the evolution Morph bundle?

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If your DS3 folders are set up properly just add the Directory paths to the DS4 paths. Then reboot DS and do a Scan known folders for files. All your old content should then be avalible in the Content Library Tab.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited July 2012

If you dump your old folders, it's very likely you will be unable to open any scenes you saved from DS3. DS4 will happily use all of your DS3 content and scenes once it knows where the content library is - follow Jaderail's advice by going to edit/preferences/content library/content directory manager. Once you've done that, you should be able to load one of your old scenes and have your character back just as he was.

Post edited by DWG on
  • TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

No, I don't have evolution morphs, but now I know what to get.

Paid clothes, if cheap. Free clothes always accepted.

Ok. I'll see if I can add the directory paths...

Who would have thought we'd still be sans avatars? I feel incognito.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,700
    edited December 1969

I know Smay's bad guy for Genesis has a pair of blue jeans and one of the promos have the basic kid wearing the blue jeans.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Torby said:
    No, I don't have evolution morphs, but now I know what to get.

Paid clothes, if cheap. Free clothes always accepted.

Ok. I'll see if I can add the directory paths...

The Evolution morphs are for Genesis rather than K4, if you let DS4 know about the content library you were using in DS3 then you should be able to use all of your pre-existing content - K4, morphs, skins, clothing - just as you did in DS3.

edited July 2012

Best of both worlds!

I just got the evolution morphs.

Perhaps if I can figure out how to add the directory paths, I'll continue to use the K4 trotwood and K4 faerie girl. I was wondering how to deal with her as her signature is the brambleberryfairy outfit. Of course, then I'll have all my K4 clothes too.

Bad Guy for Genesis doesn't look too bad. Just blew my budget on the morphs :D

Post edited by Torby on
    edited July 2012

Torby said:
    Best of both worlds!

I just got the evolution morphs.

Perhaps if I can figure out how to add the directory paths, I'll continue to use the K4 trotwood and K4 faerie girl. I was wondering how to deal with her as her signature is the brambleberryfairy outfit. Of course, then I'll have all my K4 clothes too.

Do you still have DS3 installed? If you do I can walk you thru adding your paths from DS3 into DS4 and then getting DS4 to load the content.

Edit: Even if you do not have DS3 installed as long as you know were they are we can get it done.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Best of both worlds!
    Edit: Even if you do not have DS3 installed as long as you know were they are we can get it done.

Don't still have DS3, but I do know where my content folder is. I'll get back to this thread tonight after supper when I have my netbook in my grubby little hands.

edited December 1969

Okay, I'll keep an eye open for you.

edited July 2012

Ok. I got my DS 3 content folder included. I downloaded the evolution morph pack onto my USB drive, but left the silly thing on my desk.

Here's the K4 Trotwood and the Genesis version discussing their superhero getup. "Nope! No way am I going to face down criminals with nothing on at all!" Of course, since they're two separate models but only one boy, the concept of him talking to himself gets a little strange.

You can't really see here, but Genesis is now missing his top front teeth. That's tooth 7, 8, 9 and 10. Well, since their baby teeth, they'd be letters, but the morph gave them permanent tooth numbers. Notices the K4 Trotwood's shape. I might stick to K4 for Trotwood unless I know a bunch more 'bout Genesis.

Wow. Thought I'd crashed DS 4 when I added the K4 figure to the scene! It was minutes of wait cursors per mouse click for a while, then it settled down and worked pretty well. Seems to render fast, though I don't have any lights or shadows involved yet.

K4andGenesis.jpg
    668 x 617 - 141K
    Post edited by Torby on